Author Topic: Bill's Shop Renovation  (Read 90316 times)

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
Re: Bill's Shop Renovation
« Reply #240 on: September 22, 2018, 04:03:08 PM »
Bill buddy that shop is sure looking good bud and I know your chumming at the bits to get started machining those projects. Nice machines and layout buddy and .....I........like....... :Love:

:cheers:
Don

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #241 on: September 22, 2018, 04:28:49 PM »
Thanks Don. May be a while yet but it's getting there.

Bill

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #242 on: September 22, 2018, 04:51:41 PM »
+1 on the looking good. Shop projects like the holder are a great way to spend time in the shop and just get to enjoy “hogging off “ some metal and not having to worry about tolerances, just having it “look right”   Enjoy it Prof (ret.)

Rev

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #243 on: September 27, 2018, 12:09:26 AM »
Finally some more progress on the outside. The siding guys started today and got the new windows in as well as the new entry door. One side is about half done with the siding and should make a lot more progress tomorrow. Meanwhile the inside is filled with the siding materials. So far I am very happy with the new siding, much much better than what it is replacing. A few pics below.

Bill

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #244 on: September 27, 2018, 12:13:58 AM »
looking good Bill!
Will you be painting the inside?

Dave

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #245 on: September 27, 2018, 12:56:15 AM »
Gee Bill, your not going to know how to act once you complete this. She sure is shaping up nicely buddy.
 :ThumbsUp:

:cheers:
Don

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #246 on: September 27, 2018, 01:16:25 AM »
Hello Bill,

The new siding looks real good and will be no maintenance in the future.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #247 on: September 27, 2018, 01:21:11 AM »
Thanks Don. Since it's my man cave, I guess I will act like a caveman  :lolb: :lolb:

Dave. The inside will remain natural OSB board, although 4 or Five 4'x8' panels will need replacing on the far side which I haven't shown yet, due to some water damage from the former window A/C unit. Only one or two panels were damaged, but I want to make sure so one panel on either side of the damage will be replaced also. May need to replace the insulation behind those also, just depends on what I find. That is still a week or so away.

Bill

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #248 on: September 27, 2018, 01:24:55 AM »
Thomas, the new siding is miles agead of the old. It has 3/4" of styrofoam laminated to the back of the vinyl panel which will provide even more insulation. Amazing the advances in panelling over the last 20 or so years. This new stuff is quite sturdy. Thanks for looking in.

Bill

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #249 on: September 27, 2018, 03:41:05 PM »
Excellent - can't overdo the insulation, you'll love it.

OSB inner walls is a great idea - makes hanging shelves, hooks, brackets super easy, plus it is much less expensive than sheetrocking everything.

While you're doing it though - might be worth giving some consideration to painting it. I did that on my OSB walls, and was amazed and pleased at how much it cleans up the look, and brightens the area. Takes a couple of coats because it does absorb the paint, but looks pretty good.
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #250 on: September 27, 2018, 03:47:29 PM »
Looking good Bill. How ya liking the Deere. Looks like a metal roof also: great “napping music “ during a rain  :cheers:

Rev

Offline bent

• Wet side of Washington State, USA
« Reply #251 on: September 27, 2018, 06:05:24 PM »
Now that's a shop!  Gotta put a ditto on painting the osb, it will brighten things up a lot, and with my old eyes, lighting is always a concern.  We used to be able to buy cheap paint from the recycling center (they would take everybody's old latex paints and mix them up, and sell 5 gallon pails for cheap, any color you wanted as long as it was beige), dunno if yours does that. 

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #252 on: September 27, 2018, 06:11:43 PM »
Thanks guys. I will give the painting idea some thought and maybe do a test area. With some new OSB panels mixed in with the old and as you can see some lighter areas where cabinets had been, etc. It could even things out for sure.

Bill

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #253 on: September 28, 2018, 12:59:49 AM »
Hi Bill

When I asked about the painting I was thinking the same as the others, nice bright white walls will give you so much more usable light; and as we grow older we sure do need it. 
I didn't want to pick on you for choosing not to paint, it is your shop and I just figured that you have your reasons.

Dave
« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 01:25:23 AM by Dave Otto »

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #254 on: September 28, 2018, 01:18:16 AM »
Hi Bill,
Shops coming along sweet!
 I’d be another to vote for painted walls. Grab a spray gun & it won’t take long. The difference in lighting is big...even go so far to say huge....not so much that you need to wear sunglasses though!
The other advantage is it makes cleaning up the chuck spray easy....you don’t have to ask how I know!

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal