Author Topic: Bill's Shop Renovation  (Read 90335 times)

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: Bill's Shop Renovation
« Reply #225 on: September 14, 2018, 12:45:56 AM »
Well one corner is semi- presentable now. This is the heavy machine corner. Photo 1 is from the door into the bathroom looking beyond the mill to the lathe on the east wall. Photo 2 is from the other end of the mill looking back towards the corner. That container is full of mostly nylon and uhmw stock from back in the shops manufacturing days. Not sure yet what I will do with a little of it. Photo 3 is from the headstock end of the lathe looking towards the back wall and the bathroom door. The last picture is the refurbished lathe. To the left beyond the head end of the lathe will be 18 feet of new countertop. The old countertop has some water damage and is the last area I will get to. Still way to nasty to show  :-[

Bill

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #226 on: September 14, 2018, 01:59:59 AM »
That’s a beautiful space - you’ve done the machines proud.
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #227 on: September 14, 2018, 02:09:40 AM »
Thanks Stuart. I am happy with how the lathe turned out. Mostly cosmetic work as it was in good mechanical shape already, but now rather than looking old and ignored, it looks freash and eager to make chips again. I did some checking this afternoon....no twist in the bed, just needs to be leveled left to right and front to back a smidge and it's good to go.

Bill

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #228 on: September 14, 2018, 02:25:58 AM »
Oh man...you've got to be one happy guy. What a space! Not just a space...but cool stuff inside!

Plus...a bathroom!  :ROFL:
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #229 on: September 14, 2018, 02:36:58 AM »
Yeah well the bathroom still needs replumbing and that is high on the inside to do list. The area shown in the photos represents about one fourth of the available floor space once the molding machine gets gone, and ignoring the tractor parked in there for now  :ROFL: And don't forget the fridge and microwave  :naughty:

Bill

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #230 on: September 14, 2018, 02:46:18 AM »
And don't forget the fridge and microwave  :naughty:

You stink.  ;D Which is my way of saying I'm envious.

However...I don't have to go to the big house for goodies. Out of my shop...through a hallway...and goodies await.
Oh...you have that? But I suspect it's on YOU to supply your fridge. I need not worry about that.  ;D
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #231 on: September 14, 2018, 02:53:15 AM »
Well, Bill, the Heavy Machine corner looks really great!  Can't wait to see the rest of your shop :)

Love it!
Kim

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #232 on: September 14, 2018, 02:57:29 AM »
Zee, yeah on stocking the fridge. The "big house" will be about 100 yards away once built.

Thanks Kim. I look forward to it also. For the moment it mostly just in my mind, but it will get there.

Bill

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #233 on: September 14, 2018, 03:16:50 AM »
This is all really nice Bill................but where are your Sherlines going to go?  :thinking:  :lolb:

The weather looks brutal back there already. Stay safe.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #234 on: September 14, 2018, 03:29:17 AM »
Jim, the coast is getting slammed already even before actual landfall of the storm.  As for the sherline so, if you go to reply #55 there is a .PDF of the proposed layout. The sherlines will likely remain on the Kennedy cabinet they have been of for the last 20 years.

Bill

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #235 on: September 14, 2018, 03:35:30 AM »
Jim, the coast is getting slammed already even before actual landfall of the storm.  As for the sherline so, if you go to reply #55 there is a .PDF of the proposed layout. The sherlines will likely remain on the Kennedy cabinet they have been of for the last 20 years.

Bill

Perfect...............right in the middle of the shop where they're the "center of attention"!  :ThumbsUp:

Yes............it looked brutal on the coast when we watched tonight's news.
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #236 on: September 21, 2018, 10:50:26 PM »
Still making some progress. At least got cold water run to the laundry sink. Hot will have to await replacement of the water heater, but procured that today at Lowe's. Before that can happen I have to rip the bathroom out...paneling, floor, vanity, toilet. Got a start on that today but will take a while.   Also got one countertop removed so that workbench is ready for a new 10 ft. top. I am also repainting the covers for the two 6 ft sections of plugmold ( photo 1).

Someone mentionedq the lack of swarf.  Took care of that ( see photo 2). I was milling several aluminum pieced to make a holder for foredom handpieces (photos 3&4). Had the nateriam on hand so figured I could do that for a lot less than the $75 foredom wants for one. In the end it will store 6 handpieces on the vertical rod of the motor hanger system.

More as progress is made.

Bill

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #237 on: September 22, 2018, 05:45:26 AM »
Always good to see progress, Bill!
Kim

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #238 on: September 22, 2018, 08:26:54 AM »
A foredom hand piece rack  :thinking: It is so easy to keep adding to the job list :facepalm:

The workshop is going to be nice when it is finished Bill  :)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #239 on: September 22, 2018, 02:27:37 PM »
 Thanks Kim. Jo that center piece the "H" shaped one needed to be cut out on both sides for a 3/4" slot. The mill with a 3/4 " endmill made short work of that with no strain at all. Nice to have all that power again!!

Bill

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal