Author Topic: Bill's Shop Renovation  (Read 93237 times)

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: Bill's Shop Renovation
« Reply #165 on: August 30, 2018, 02:04:23 AM »
Pete there is lots of life left in the mill. But after years of sitting idle, I just want to make it up with some TLC. It's still as tight and accurate as ever, and I look forward to putting it back in regular service.

Bill

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #166 on: August 30, 2018, 04:04:52 AM »
and I look forward to putting it back in regular service.

As do we  ;D
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #167 on: August 30, 2018, 10:11:08 PM »
Quick update for today. No pictures as there isn't much to show yet but the Heat/AC system is halfway in. The air handler unit is placed in the attic. The slow part is running all the airlines to the vents and return air duct. If all goes well this will be done by this time tomorrow. Meanwhile, more cleanup as long as I stayed out of their way :)  Pictures tomorrow.

Bill

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #168 on: August 30, 2018, 10:50:45 PM »
Progress! Looking forward to pictures of course, I do enjoy following along with these projects.
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #169 on: August 31, 2018, 11:31:31 PM »
Some good progress today. HVAC system still not finished but progressing. Mill clean up is done. Started on the lathe today. Will post some pics after dinner.

Bill

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #170 on: September 01, 2018, 12:55:40 AM »
After two rolls of paper towels, at least a hundred q-tips and a spray bottle of grime cleaner, I am calling the mill done and ready for service. The last thing I did today was to mask off the base and paint over the nicks and scars from dropped tools and such. It's looks and runs as good as ever I think (photos 1&2).

The HVAC air handler is in and the lines to the vents run. They will finish up on Tuesday. The outside unit is still being stored inside for now ( photo 3).

Once the mill was finished and the inside of the roll up door cleaned thoroughly, I turned my attention to the lathe. The handwheels and dials were removed and polished up (photo 4), the tailstock removed and cleaned up ready to be repainted ( photo 5), and the head cover remover and cleaned for painting as well (photo 6).

The last picture is of the foundation work on the house begun today, somewhat to my surprise.  Tomorrow it's back to work on the lathe again.

Bill

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #171 on: September 01, 2018, 01:21:49 AM »
The lathe, a 12" Craftsman Commercial was purchased by my dad in December of 1977. He had saved the manual and parts lists and passed those along to me in the late '80's along with the original invoices. This is for all intents and purposes an Atlas lathe rebranded for distribution by Sears.  I can remember well when the Sears big book still had such machine tools within it's covers along with horse tack and saddles. As a kid I would look through it for hours. What I find interesting is that the lathe with metal stand sold new in 1977 for $1346.80 including 51.80 sales tax at the time ( photo 2). Apparently the 3 and 4 jaw chucks were additional as shown in the third photo. The 3 haw was $140.20 and the 4 jaw was $101.95.  I can quite make out what the last item was. Times sure change huh!!!

Bill

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #172 on: September 01, 2018, 02:01:24 AM »
That’s great that you still have those documents. Great fun to think back on. Weren’t the Sears lathes basically an Atlas?
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #173 on: September 01, 2018, 02:05:17 AM »
Yes they were Stuart. Even crazier, Sears has the parts diagrams online and in many cases still available, though the prices are definitely 21st century.

Bill

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #174 on: September 01, 2018, 02:37:53 AM »
This is great stuff. The setting up for, what were, dreams to become reality!
Envious.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #175 on: September 01, 2018, 02:52:43 AM »
Thanks Zee. Hope I can get it looking as new as the mill. Already have some things lined up that I will need if for...larger flywheels, base for the cretors vertical oscillator and such. But I  am having fun refurbishing the machines while watching the various contractors refurbish the man cave. I'll get the fridge and microwave upgraded soon too, but other things are needed first. Invitation is still open though  :)

Bill

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #176 on: September 01, 2018, 05:37:20 AM »
The mill sure looks great,Bill!  That will be fun to use :)
I'm sure you'll get the lathe equally sipffed up!

Enjoying watching your shop improvement projects!
Kim

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #177 on: September 01, 2018, 12:04:08 PM »
Ok, going for the Otto look eh? :lolb:  Everything is looking top notch Bill. How you like that oil can?

Rev.

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #178 on: September 01, 2018, 12:49:20 PM »
Nice progress Bill  :cheers:

I'm curious about the collet holder next to the mill - what prevents the collets from falling out/down ?

Best wishes

Per

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #179 on: September 01, 2018, 02:20:46 PM »
Eric, I love the oil can and it works perfectly for oiling the 4-5 oil cups around the head of the mill. I put that picture in just for you :)

Kim, thanks, I am looking forward to making some chips on it as soon as the A/C gets up and running  though there is plenty more to do inside the shop for the renovation. I have purposely not show some of the more cluttered areas and two big machines (the injection molding press and a friends second hand cold saw) still need to be removed which will free up a ton of space.

Per, That is just a piece of UHMW polyethylene sheet with holes bored for a close fit to the straight shank portions of the R8 collets. Its about 5/8" thick so with the close fit you actually have to pull the collets out. Both drill chucks have 1/2" straight arbors so they just fit in similar 1/2" holes. The other thing that is a bit hard to see is that I took an old style paper binder clip and screwed the back arm of it to the face of the collet holder. Great for holding a small note with critical dimentions, etc.

Bill

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal