Author Topic: Bill's Shop Renovation  (Read 90509 times)

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
Re: Bill's Shop Renovation
« Reply #150 on: August 25, 2018, 02:38:38 PM »
Edit...I just checked their website and as of today that have added a 3% surcharge to cover tarriffs  :hellno:.

Interesting. A surcharge rather than simply raising prices.
Either to make it clear why the total cost is higher or in hopes the tarrffis go away (or both).
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #151 on: August 25, 2018, 02:55:45 PM »
Carolina clay and a sweet new Kurt: a Southern boy’s dream  :ThumbsUp:  What are the fixing holes in the fixed jaw side Bill? I have seen some ads for the new improved Kurt and haven’t looked any deeper; avoiding temptation  :lolb:

Eric

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #152 on: August 25, 2018, 03:20:15 PM »
Eric, the fixed jaw still has a key to line up with the base, but is now attached to the base with four screws from the top. Is that what you are asking?

Bill

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #153 on: August 25, 2018, 03:23:30 PM »
Thomas, you are right, the house will be on a slab. Zee, I really don't look for completion until spring. The contractor is good, but not known for speed...more into doing only a few custom homes at any given time.

Bill

« Reply #154 on: August 25, 2018, 04:37:39 PM »
I guess so Bill. I just saw the countersunk bolts behind the fixed jaw and didn’t think you had time to add any “cosmetic features “ :lolb:

Eric

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #155 on: August 25, 2018, 06:15:54 PM »
Thomas, you are right, the house will be on a slab. Zee, I really don't look for completion until spring. The contractor is good, but not known for speed...more into doing only a few custom homes at any given time.

Bill

A slab, huh?  I'm not familiar with that. Up here in the northwest, most foundations look like a short cement wall in the same shape as the outside walls of the house.  I'm not familiar with a slab.  Is that like people would use for a shed?  Just a slab of cement and build on top of it? Is that common for houses in the south?

Kim

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #156 on: August 25, 2018, 07:16:05 PM »
Kim, building on a slab is fairly common down here, but what you describe is as well. It can depend largely on how level the lot is. There are advantages and disadvantages to each.

Eric, take a look at their website site as it explains it a lot better  :LittleDevil:

Bill

« Reply #157 on: August 25, 2018, 08:08:08 PM »
Go ahead and tempt me  :lolb:  If you are going with a slab build; did you check into geo thermal heating and cooling . I’d think your locale would be a great candidate

Rev

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #158 on: August 25, 2018, 08:45:10 PM »
Up here the normal is a full basement, block walls up to above ground then wood frame. Lots more toy/tool space...

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #159 on: August 25, 2018, 10:14:56 PM »
Eric, kind of doing a little checking on that, but it hasn't gotten that popular around here yet, and I don't want to be educating the HVAC subcontractor at my expense.

Chris, basements used to be more popular, these days I think it's more of a cost thing unless there is a significant slope to the lot. Of course the tools will have their own building now.

Bill

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #160 on: August 25, 2018, 11:34:09 PM »
Having lived in southern Missouri long enough, we can't live in a house without a basement.
We spent a fair amount of time down there due to tornadoes.
Even though we now live in an area where what they call tornadoes...we would call dust-devils...we would feel naked without a basement.
Just seems safer.
I had a job opportunity in Huntsville but didn't take it because few, if any houses, could be built with a basement. And they get a lot of tornadoes.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #161 on: August 25, 2018, 11:56:40 PM »
Well with wife's health, we are going for a one level house. More than enough for us ( with the detached man cave of course)  ;)

Bill

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #162 on: August 26, 2018, 06:58:29 AM »
( with the detached man cave of course)  ;)

Yes I can see the need for one of those and as far away as possible from my workshop as the last one thought he could just wander in and borrow my tools  >:(

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #163 on: August 30, 2018, 01:19:38 AM »
The HVAC system install begins in the morning, and none too soon. I was out there working a few hours this afternoon and was ringing wet even working inside with the doors open.

Today, the main thing accomplished was a new way cover behind the table. The old one had seen better days ( photo 1). I had already removed the metal mounting strips, cleaned and repainted them, so this was a simple project overall. Just required so e trimming of the neoprene which was designed for a Bridgeport mill which mounts a bit differently.  Anyway I am pleased with the results ( photo 2). With a little more clean up it will look as good as the day it was new.

Bill

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #164 on: August 30, 2018, 01:55:45 AM »
Nothing to complain about there! I love being able to give something another life.

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal