Author Topic: Bill's Shop Renovation  (Read 90397 times)

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
Re: Bill's Shop Renovation
« Reply #60 on: July 26, 2018, 08:33:14 AM »
Hello Bill,

Well I do not see a telephone or computer...so I am guessing that once your material supply is completed that you will lock yourself in the shop and no one will hear from you for a long time. Beautiful shop and layout.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline gary.a.ayres

• Isle of Skye & sometimes France
« Reply #61 on: July 26, 2018, 12:58:33 PM »
Wow!

What an amazing journey!

Thanks for sharing it, Bill. It's clear that lots of us can identify with that feeling of excitement and potentiality.

It occurs that even clearing those trees is part of the process of creating the engines you will in due course build in the shop. No separation.

This is your time, right now.

Enjoy...!

8)

gary

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #62 on: July 26, 2018, 01:12:38 PM »
Thanks lady and gentlemen. An island bench is a definite possibility and I already have a leg set for it where the Kennedy cabinet and Sherlines are proposed to go. Phone? Will use the cell. Computer? Laptop and hoping the WiFi will reach from the house. Microwave and espresso machine will go next to the fridge. Again another set of bench legs are there but both will also need new countertops.

Bill

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #63 on: July 26, 2018, 01:25:08 PM »
Laptop and hoping the WiFi will reach from the house.

If the wifi doesn't reach, this is pretty easily remedied. I'm looking into the appropriate wireless transmitters and when it comes to it, I will gladly pass on my solution to you once I have implemented it myself. There are basically transmitters readily available that plug into your router to send a signal over decent distances, and not too expensive. Being able to look up info in the shop is very nice, so I want a computer available in mine, be it laptop or whatever.  :ThumbsUp:
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #64 on: July 26, 2018, 02:01:10 PM »
Thanks Prop. Since the house and shop will be perhaps 200-250 feet apart, something like that may well be needed. I am assuming it can still be done with the usual security protocols.

Bill

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #65 on: July 26, 2018, 03:18:33 PM »
The security protocols remain the range extenders only broadcast what there , but you need one at each end .

Best bet but not possible as your services are in would have been to drop in a pvc pipe and pull in a Ethernet cable and draw wire between buildings
My aim is for a accurate part with a good finish

Online Twizseven

« Reply #66 on: July 26, 2018, 04:15:53 PM »
Wireless PTP (Point to Point) bridge solutions are easy to implement and pretty cheap to be honest.  You can buy a pair of Ubquiti Nanostation M5 bridges for £160 in the UK.  I guess they would be similar or cheaper in the States.  These will easily cover the distance you are talking about and are secure.  I believe with the correct configuration one can even broadcast wifi for local devices, but I have never tried that.

Colin

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #67 on: July 26, 2018, 05:00:57 PM »
Nice looking layout Bill. You know us country boys: how fer away is your nearest neighbor? 

Cletus

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #68 on: July 26, 2018, 05:16:14 PM »
Wireless PTP (Point to Point) bridge solutions are easy to implement and pretty cheap to be honest.  You can buy a pair of Ubquiti Nanostation M5 bridges for £160 in the UK.  I guess they would be similar or cheaper in the States.  These will easily cover the distance you are talking about and are secure.  I believe with the correct configuration one can even broadcast wifi for local devices, but I have never tried that.

Colin

Perzackerly. They are about the same in dollars over here. Seen some for 125 ish, haven't had time to implement them yet, but that's the plan.

We need access to our MEM forum after all!
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #69 on: July 26, 2018, 05:38:47 PM »
Thanks for the info guys. That is a ways off but still good to know solutions are available. Cletus there is a neighbor back behind the shop but I planted a line of Leyland Cypress trees years ago so I can barely see their property now.

Bill

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #70 on: August 07, 2018, 10:29:12 PM »
Not a lot to report as the heat and rain hasnt allowed much progress, but I was able to meet an electrician out there today for replacing the main circuit breaker box, and also the HVAC guy who will quote on a heat pump system. Still waiting on quotes for siding and a new metal roof. These guys must be busy these day as I am having trouble even getting them to look at the job and give me a quote  :cussing:.  At least with the HVAC system I can work inside on some of the interior renovations. No pics as there's nothing to show, but hopefully the next week or two will show some progress.

Bill

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #71 on: August 08, 2018, 12:13:53 AM »
Good to hear a progress report Bill. I was hoping that you wasn’t going to encounter those type of labor issues. It’s awful here. There is so much building going on in Nashville that the labor force has really been taxed. Contractors don’t won’t to lose a job, so they just keep promising and putting folks off. I’ve become accustomed to the fact that if they can get to you quickly; you probably don’t want them anyhow. Just stock up on the G&T and enjoy the show  :old:

Cletus

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #72 on: August 08, 2018, 01:17:40 AM »
That coud be part of it Celtus, though the two I saw today I only contacted this morning. The roofer guy and the siding guy will get a follow up call tomorrow asking if they want the business or if I need to look elsewhere!!  I am at the point I want to get moving on this.

Bill

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #73 on: August 08, 2018, 02:43:44 PM »
That coud be part of it Celtus, though the two I saw today I only contacted this morning. The roofer guy and the siding guy will get a follow up call tomorrow asking if they want the business or if I need to look elsewhere!!  I am at the point I want to get moving on this.

Bill

Same problem out here Bill. The lot next door was staked out for a house last Nov., temporary power set up and that's been it!
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #74 on: August 08, 2018, 03:29:03 PM »

Bill

Same problem out here Bill. The lot next door was staked out for a house last Nov., temporary power set up and that's been it!
Sounds like a perfect neighbor.Very quiet, no bright lights, and they ran in extra power for you to tap into...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal