Author Topic: Bill's Shop Renovation  (Read 92076 times)

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: Bill's Shop Renovation
« Reply #90 on: August 15, 2018, 04:38:49 PM »
Good to hear others are doing it the same way. I have checked the X andY dials against the DRO and they are dead on. So I assume the knee dial is as well but usually check critical depths with a depth mic before making the final cut.

Bill

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #91 on: August 15, 2018, 04:51:15 PM »
Nice mill  :ThumbsUp:

One often over looked measuring device is the humble dial gauge: nothing stops you using one of those on the vertical sheer to give you repeatable accuracy on the Zee axis if you need it  ;)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #92 on: August 15, 2018, 08:10:09 PM »
Looking good Professor (Ret.): That’s the way the military officers do it ain’t it  :lolb:. You may be far enough south and east to get by with a heat pump in the winter, but, I hate mine. The A/C side does well enough, but, the heat side will freeze you to death here in Springbucket. I wish I had payed the extra moths and had a natural gas line run. Nice milling machine. I concur on the Z axis thingee. I have my quill on a DRO, but, I mostly use the knee as described. I have checked it with an indicator and find that I can usually get within a half a thou. I think the weight of the table reacting on the Z axis makes it much more repeatable and accurate. Though too much of anything is bad, I’m kinda glad in one respect that y’all have had some rain; as Granddaddy would say: “ we’ve been drier than a popcorn fart” :lolb:  Worse tomato crop I’ve seen in years  :facepalm:. Tell everybody I said hey.

Rev. Cletus

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #93 on: August 15, 2018, 08:26:33 PM »
Rev., I prefer gas also but I am too far out in the country for natural gas to be an option. The only other option is bottled gas (propane) and I'm not crazy about that. For most of our winter days the heat pump will be sufficient and they are common in these parts. Waiting on the siding guyto show up now. Hope I don't get stood up...lol.

Bill

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #94 on: August 15, 2018, 09:09:21 PM »
:thinking: Personally if I had the space I would go with a log burner for the workshop.

I have a 6KW burner in the house and six years ago when the oil fired boiler packed up I found that running the log burner keeps most of my house habitable for the entire winter and the odd electric heater picks up any cool spots for a small fraction of the previous heating costs :)

Jo

P.S. I don't pay for the logs  :cartwheel:
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #95 on: August 15, 2018, 09:23:15 PM »
I use propane for my shop and house - works great. Have to have a delivery truck bring the propane out and fill my tanks, but the ceiling mount Reznors really heat the shop fast and maintain it well. However - I have no idea what the infrastructure in your part of the country is for such things - might be beastly expensive.

To be honest, I think your in floor heat solution is great for where you live, and I mostly typed this because I wanted to join in on a thread.

I'll go and stand in a corner again.

PS that's a jolly nice mill.
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #96 on: August 15, 2018, 10:02:50 PM »
Thanks for joining in Prop.  Today was more productive. Met with the house contractor so hope to see some footings next week. Also the siding guy showed up so awaiting a quote from him tomorrow. Good news is he can do the roof too. I said add it to the quote so we'll see. I think I noted already that the dumpster will be there tomorrow. Things are looking up.

Bill

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #97 on: August 15, 2018, 10:06:05 PM »
Jo, I can't say from personal experience, but have heard that wood burners ever if we'll vented can leave a residue in the air that can cause rust on metal surfaces. Anyone else heard of that?

Bill

Offline gary.a.ayres

• Isle of Skye & sometimes France
« Reply #98 on: August 15, 2018, 11:30:47 PM »
Looking good!

Great looking mill.

I'm with Jo on the woodburner   8)

Haven't heard that they give off something that creates rust, but you definitely do need to have an air vent in the same room to make sure the stove doesn't guzzle all the oxygen...

gary

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #99 on: August 16, 2018, 02:42:55 AM »
to give you repeatable accuracy on the Zee axis if you need it  ;)

The Zee axis is a hypothetical construct, built in imagined space, and has no discernible value other than to want me to want one and for others to desire to be me.

The Z axis on Bill's mill will be used to build real and fascinating things.

The large propane tanks were/are pretty popular (or rather common) back home. I also see several even around here in southeast Pennsylvania.

A couple of houses ago we had a a wood burning insert for the house. It was great and made the house comfortable.
But for the shop...I'm not so sure. Takes quite a bit of maintenance and unless you're in the shop (and you may be) most of the day...everyday...it may not be worth it.
On the other hand...you've got quite a bit of wood fuel, right?
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #100 on: August 16, 2018, 03:42:59 PM »
I think maybe some of the older wood stoves could have caused a problem due to the natural acids and moisture in the fuel, i.e. wood. However, the newer versions are so much better engineered and efficient, I wouldn’t expect any problems

Eric

Offline Maryak

• Rest In Peace
  • Aldinga Beach South Australia
« Reply #101 on: August 16, 2018, 10:03:39 PM »
That’s the way the military officers do it ain’t it  :lolb: .

Rev. Cletus

It sure is e.g. Lt. R. Holme SDEN(ME) RAN (Retired) :toilet_claw:

Gas Burners, Yes; Oil Burners, Yes; Coal Burners, at a pinch; Wood Burners, PITA.

Regards Bob
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 10:09:02 PM by Maryak »
Если вы у Тетушки были яйца, она была бы Дядюшкой

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #102 on: August 16, 2018, 11:00:41 PM »
Yeah!! I now have a dumpster, but didn't arrive till later this afternoon so pitching begins tomorrow!! This morning I felled two of the last three trees next to the shop. The last one I will get before siding begins. Pictures below.

Bill

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #103 on: August 17, 2018, 01:59:39 AM »
Yeah!! I now have a dumpster, but didn't arrive till later this afternoon so pitching begins tomorrow!!

Yay! More pictures tomorrow.  ;D
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #104 on: August 17, 2018, 05:28:10 AM »
 :popcorn: :popcorn:

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal