Author Topic: Bill's Shop Renovation  (Read 90091 times)

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
Re: Bill's Shop Renovation
« Reply #720 on: April 19, 2019, 05:37:48 AM »
Beautiful shop, Bill!
Thanks for posting the videos.  It really helps get a feel for the size and layout.  Which is really nice, I might add!

I think you're going to enjoy your time out in your shop!
Kim

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #721 on: April 19, 2019, 02:57:59 PM »
Nice shop Bill. well done.  :ThumbsUp:

I see your P & W build on the counter.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #722 on: April 19, 2019, 03:08:27 PM »
Kim and Jim, thanks for looking in. Yes the P&W is at the stage of finishing the flywheels and then painting and assembly. Further down the countertop is the PRM coke bottle engine as well. It has a few more part to be finished up though. I also want to strip and repaint the PMR #1 but am going to give powder coating a try on it to see how it goes. Have ordered what I will need from Eastwood. MOre on that to come.

Bill

Online Twizseven

« Reply #723 on: April 19, 2019, 07:55:58 PM »
Bill,

Looks fantastic.  I envy all that space.

Don,

Is it a 1 or 2 horse power engine you need!!

Colin

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #724 on: May 01, 2019, 09:50:07 PM »
With the house nearly done and the shop finished for the most part, I was time to regravel the drive from the house down to the shop (photo 1), and a small pad next to the shop entry door ( photo 2). This is called crush and run  :shrug: and will establish a base as it includes the gravel as well as fines (i.e. gravel dust). This was put in from the shop up to the house. From the house to the road, washed stone was used ( just the gravel) since there was already some base there.

I did also add another cabinet for the powder coating area. Still need to get it stained to match the others.

Machine work should pick up shortly. I had forgotten how many details come up when getting the house finished up.

Bill

Offline gary.a.ayres

• Isle of Skye & sometimes France
« Reply #725 on: May 01, 2019, 10:04:27 PM »
Wow... fantastic shop and surrounding area.
Very, very nice.
I wish you wonderful times there...
gary

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #726 on: May 01, 2019, 11:40:36 PM »
Looking good Bill. The “old farts” around here call it “crusher run”   Great stuff. If it has plenty of fines it’ll almost harden to concrete. I’ve even mixed in a few bags of cement and wet heavy and achieved “almost” concrete surface

Cletus

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #727 on: May 01, 2019, 11:49:47 PM »
Bill, here is a great list of the types from a quarry near me, lots of sizes and combinations...

http://www.dolomitegroup.com/aggregate

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #728 on: May 02, 2019, 12:45:27 AM »
Chris, I don't really know what all is available other than the two I mentioned. The crush and run is cheaper but due to the extra weight of the fines, doesn't go as far. But that part of the drive won't get much use after the move. Cletus, it does pack pretty well but still have to keep the weeds from growing up through it .

Bill

Offline 90LX_Notch

• North Eastern Pennsylvania USA
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #729 on: May 02, 2019, 01:18:45 AM »
You really are making a slice of heaven there Bill.  Shops like your's are the reason I do not post shop tour pictures of my crap hole.   Mine looks like something from Sanford and Son right now.

-Bob
Proud Member of MEM

My Engine Videos on YouTube-
http://www.youtube.com/user/Notch90usa/videos

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #730 on: May 02, 2019, 02:50:14 AM »
What ahhhh, you got a Cabinet and for the likes of me I don’t see any coffee in there. I mean hey Bill what about guest visitors no coffee bud?  :lolb:
Really looking great there bud........ :ThumbsUp:

:cheers:
Don

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #731 on: May 02, 2019, 06:12:09 AM »
Cool! So you got the powder coating oven & gun from Eastwood?  That's what I'm asking the birthday fairy for this year :)

You'll have to let us know how your first powder coating adventure goes.  And whether you like the oven or not.  It seems pretty reasonable.  I've looked at toaster ovens but this one seems a little bigger than the cheap end toaster ovens.  And at least I know it should get hot enough to work, since that's what they sell it for.  (though I'm pretty sure its just a re-labeled toaster oven!)

Looks good Bill!  Both the driveway and the power coating corner.
Kim

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #732 on: May 02, 2019, 12:34:07 PM »
Kim, thanks for looking in. That adventure will be coming up shortly with the PMR #1 whose finish I have never been totally pleased with. More on that in a few days. I need to disassemble it and strip it down to bare metal first.

Don, maybe there isn't a picture of it but there is an identical cabinet next to the fridge, for coffee, cups, etc. so you are covered my friend!

Bill

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #733 on: May 02, 2019, 10:03:55 PM »
Bill a while back I told you about a carbide bandsaw blade for your bandsaw. This is a expensive blade but will worth the money. It is resharping and cuts wood clean also cuts metal like butter. Warning do not cut large stock aluminum ask me how I know? This blade will last you a lifetime if you take care of it. You can buy it from Rockler or amazon and is readily available!

:cheers:
Don

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #734 on: May 02, 2019, 10:27:48 PM »
Nice shop Bill, you've planned well for your retirement. :ThumbsUp:

If you're going to import some shop elves from Chris, don't forget the chocolate chip cookies.  :lolb:
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal