Author Topic: Bill's Shop Renovation  (Read 90533 times)

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Bill's Shop Renovation
« Reply #675 on: February 26, 2019, 01:05:42 AM »
Years ago when setting up my ship model shop space (now my steam engine model space) I put one of the benches down the center of the room so I could work on both sides for doing rigging, working on both sides of the hull without having to constantly turn it around. Comes in handy for larger models, just keep another chair on that side and saves lots of model-moving (handy for the bigger ones!).

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #676 on: February 26, 2019, 01:09:35 AM »
That is a good question, probably not for model engineering.
I have a chunk of particle board and a couple folding saw horses that I drag out quite often for small projects; it has also been used as my welding table for a number of years. But I recently purchased a small fab table from https://weldtables.com/
I just seem to get into projects like building and wiring a heater control box for my brothers green house, sorting stuff, working on the lawn mower, etc.

Sometimes its just nice to be able to access a project from all sides. It is just another flat surface which is a dangerous thing. :lolb:

Dave

How heavy of a bench are you looking for?     Now I don't usually go for Home Depot stuff, but we got this bench for my daughters room, and she loves it.   and it's heavy enough to do some work on

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-46-in-Adjustable-Height-Work-Table-HOLT46XDB12/301809931?cm_mmc=Shopping%7CG%7CBase%7CD25T%7C25-11_STORAGE+DEVICES%7CNA%7CPLA%7c71700000034127206%7c58700003933017532%7c92700031758439054&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3dy-_ZrY4AIVwR6GCh0NUQaSEAQYBSABEgKphvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

And actually we got her the 62"...not the 46"

And its on casters and it's height adjustable with a hand crank.    It's pretty good!!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #677 on: February 26, 2019, 01:09:57 AM »
And you just may never know when that windmill rebuild project is coming, yes another brother project!

Dave

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #678 on: February 26, 2019, 01:16:21 AM »
Sounds like a good idea and I have or will have a spare set of steel legs. Maybe a flat butcher block top is in order.

On a side note, the guy that cut the granite countertops for the house, cut me a 12"x 18" piece for a surface plate. It's not Starrett but should be good for most things. Bad news is he forgot to bring it with the countertops  :-[

Bill

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #679 on: February 26, 2019, 01:21:25 AM »
Yikes!!! That must be about 9 ft. Diameter.

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #680 on: February 26, 2019, 01:55:00 PM »

How heavy of a bench are you looking for?     Now I don't usually go for Home Depot stuff, but we got this bench for my daughters room, and she loves it.   and it's heavy enough to do some work on

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-46-in-Adjustable-Height-Work-Table-HOLT46XDB12/301809931?cm_mmc=Shopping%7CG%7CBase%7CD25T%7C25-11_STORAGE+DEVICES%7CNA%7CPLA%7c71700000034127206%7c58700003933017532%7c92700031758439054&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3dy-_ZrY4AIVwR6GCh0NUQaSEAQYBSABEgKphvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

And actually we got her the 62"...not the 46"

And its on casters and it's height adjustable with a hand crank.    It's pretty good!!

Dave

We bought two of the 62" ones this fall for our hobby room in the house. They work great!

My woodworking bench, in my shop, is away from the wall with access on all sides. I enjoy being able to work, looking out into the room vs staring at a wall.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #681 on: February 26, 2019, 03:01:45 PM »
Nice looking work table Dave and the adjustable height would be nice at times as well as the portability assuming the casters are heavy duty enough.

Bill

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #682 on: February 26, 2019, 09:43:27 PM »
Speaking of castings and the contemplation, I gathered up the various ones that are aging and took them out to the shop today. Pitiful compared to Jo's stash no doubt, but should keep me busy a while.

In order they are:
Tiny Power Ajax
Tiny Power Little Kathy
Tiny Power H-10
Little Brother Hit and Miss
PMR vertical boiler ( not sure why the boiler shell looks black, must be a shadow or something)
PMR Hand Boiler Feed Pump
Myers Half Scale Cretors Popcorn Engine
Myers Cretors Oscillating Vertical Popcorn Engine.

Not shown are the PMR Coke Bottle engine, the Parsell&Weed, and the Little Pearl...all under construction

There may be one or two more I haven't unearthed yet. As much as I like the new countertops, they aren't great for pictures, especially brass or bronze castings....sorry about that.

Bill

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #683 on: February 26, 2019, 10:22:03 PM »
Cool Bill that should keep you busy for a while..... :ThumbsUp:

:cheers:
Don

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #684 on: February 26, 2019, 11:07:08 PM »
It should Don. Most are ones I am quite interested in as well. Both the H-10 and the Little Kathy I have built before and gave them to my dad. There is a vertical version of the H-10 lurking about also, started but just barely. I really need to get all these partial builds completed!!

Bill

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #685 on: February 26, 2019, 11:49:56 PM »
I just remembered that I have a little Kathy in the shop too.   hmmmm

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #686 on: February 27, 2019, 12:35:12 AM »
Dave, I used the better of the two sets for my dad's engine. This set is a bit rough, and the cylinder is slightly mismatched along the parting line, but I think I can make it work. Not at the top of the build list. Tiny power used to be more active, but has been bought out by Rappahannock Boat Works ans now seem to be concentrating more on the larger marine engines like the "M" and "W" models.

Bill

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #687 on: February 27, 2019, 01:21:48 AM »
Speaking of castings and the contemplation, I gathered up the various ones that are aging and took them out to the shop today. Pitiful compared to Jo's stash no doubt, but should keep me busy a while.

In order they are:
Tiny Power Ajax
Tiny Power Little Kathy
Tiny Power H-10
Little Brother Hit and Miss
PMR vertical boiler ( not sure why the boiler shell looks black, must be a shadow or something)
PMR Hand Boiler Feed Pump
Myers Half Scale Cretors Popcorn Engine
Myers Cretors Oscillating Vertical Popcorn Engine.

Not shown are the PMR Coke Bottle engine, the Parsell&Weed, and the Little Pearl...all under construction

There may be one or two more I haven't unearthed yet. As much as I like the new countertops, they aren't great for pictures, especially brass or bronze castings....sorry about that.

Bill

Well now we know what Bill is going to be up to for the next few weeks. Yep...weeks.  ;D He's retired with a great shop...all that stuff should pop out pretty quick.
As for the countertops...well...had he listened to me...they would be great for pictures.

Oh. Sorry. I never said anything about them. Probably a good thing.

Which raises the question...where in the shop is your photography set?
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #688 on: February 27, 2019, 02:19:02 AM »
Don't have one Zee, but will give it some thought  :)

Bill

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #689 on: February 27, 2019, 03:35:39 AM »
Trying to catch a minute to check in. Looking great Bill. +1 on just a nice big work table, accessible from all sides. Or, you could build one as a “display table “ for all your builds and have them ready to run anytime ( they say it’s inspirational)  :shrug:  ;)

Cletus

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal