Author Topic: Bill's Shop Renovation  (Read 90372 times)

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
Re: Bill's Shop Renovation
« Reply #300 on: October 19, 2018, 12:44:50 PM »
Copper nails doesn't really work  :disappointed:

I do not know about roots - but a number off protected trees has been killed this way here in Denmark by neighbors that wanted to get rid of them  :'(

Offline Mosey

• Rosemont, New Jersey, USA
« Reply #301 on: October 19, 2018, 01:15:29 PM »
2018 Roundup Lawsuit News: In August 2018, a jury for the Superior Court of California ordered Monsanto to pay $289 million to Dewayne Johnson, a former school district groundskeeper, because of Roundup’s likely role in contributing to his cancer. As a result, the number of glyphosate lawsuits against Monsanto has ballooned to more than 8,700 cases.

Are you sure you want to use Roundup?

Offline ShopShoe

• Central Iowa, Central USA
« Reply #302 on: October 19, 2018, 01:33:48 PM »
I have had several trees to deal with over the years.

The best bet is to talk to your tree guy. On my own trees I had removed, I always had them quote a price for tree removal with and tree removal without stump grinding. (And my tree guy had a small grinder for use in "inaccessible" areas.) I have used several things to kill tree stumps in the past. In my area there are people at "Professional" landscape, gardening, and farm suppliers that will give advice on things that are more friendly to use and do not need certification to use.

Offline Johnmcc69

• Erie Pa., USA
« Reply #303 on: October 19, 2018, 01:55:30 PM »
Very nice Bill! Looks great!

John

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #304 on: October 19, 2018, 02:40:08 PM »
Let me just be an unusual internet person by declaring openly that I know nothing about good techniques for removing tree stumps. That aside, the shop is looking just great - well done Bill!
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #305 on: October 19, 2018, 03:11:08 PM »
Looks great Bill. What are you going to use on the bathroom walls ? On the stump: you can drill it liberally with holes and pack them with rock or Epson salt. It takes awhile, but, it is safer than Roundup.

Cletus

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #306 on: October 19, 2018, 03:59:43 PM »
Thanks for all the comments and stump ideas as well. Cletus, I don't care how long it takes. Just want it to work. Epsom salt would be safer I agree.

Bill

Offline bent

• Wet side of Washington State, USA
« Reply #307 on: October 19, 2018, 05:32:00 PM »
Looking good, Bill. 

I've used the commercial salts (powdered potassium nitrate) for killing tree stumps, they work...ok.  Keeping the rain off probably helps; the first application had a pretty heavy wave of steady rain shortly afterwards, and we had some suckers come spring.  Dug out the suckers and re-treated the stump once we had a spell of dry weather forecast.  Haven't seen any recurring suckers, but haven't really looked; I assume the missus would have said something if they came back.  Have not tried the roundup method.

I have sucessfully ignored the stump this year, hopefully can continue to do so until SWMBO decides to plant something else there.

Is that chimney functional (i.e. you have a wood stove hooked up to it)?

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #308 on: October 19, 2018, 07:44:25 PM »
As far as I know it is functional. There is a smallish brick hearth inside next to where the mill is. Not a fireplace but a vent flue like for a wood stove. Now with the heat pump system, I don't anticipate using it though.

Bill

Offline bent

• Wet side of Washington State, USA
« Reply #309 on: October 22, 2018, 06:26:27 PM »
Maybe a spot for a small coal forge?

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #310 on: October 22, 2018, 10:55:20 PM »
Afraid it's too close to the mill for that bent. Nice idea though.

Bill

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #311 on: October 30, 2018, 11:28:49 PM »
The house has kept me busy as it's dried in now, and other decisions have to be made to keep things on track. The shop is making some headway too, mainly the bathroom. The rough plumbing has been run in the walls, and the tile floor is nearly done but still needs grouting. Then the final plumbing for the water heater, testing for leaks, new insulation, new walls on the inside, then the final touches...lavatory, toilet, etc. Placed an order with Lowe's today for some of the larger things I need for the shop part that I have no way to transport including the 28 feet of new countertop that will be needed. Once I get that in and installed, I can start placing the smaller machines in their new homes. The picture is the bathroom as of today.

Bill
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 11:32:19 PM by b.lindsey »

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #312 on: October 30, 2018, 11:40:04 PM »
You have not shown the bunk room for the shop elves. You haven't forgotten them, have you?   :Lol:

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #313 on: October 31, 2018, 12:25:54 AM »
They have their own room Chris. I see that my shop dog's nylabone somehow got onto the bathroom floor though  :-* :ROFL:

Bill

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #314 on: October 31, 2018, 12:51:04 AM »
They have their own room Chris. I see that my shop dog's nylabone somehow got onto the bathroom floor though  :-* :ROFL:

Bill
Ah, thought that was your chew toy...   :LittleDevil:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal