Author Topic: Bill's Shop Renovation  (Read 91885 times)

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
Re: Bill's Shop Renovation
« Reply #195 on: September 06, 2018, 01:52:34 AM »
Very true Kim. And the family history adds to that as well.

Bill
Absolutely!  You have a very special piece of equipment there, Bill, in every respect!
Kim

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #196 on: September 06, 2018, 07:00:34 PM »
Renovation continues even if slowly. The AC guys were finishing up yesterday and noticed a problem with the valve that changes from cooling in the summer to warming in the winter. Probably could have been resolved but rather than that they picked up a whole new compressor unit and are putting it in today so at the moment it's very warm again. At least though it won't be a patched up system from the git- go.

Meanwhile the recent Travers sale brochure had a couple of $20 items I have added to the mill. May be more trouble than they are worth but we'll see. The first is a small tray that will hold calipers and any other small sundry items used often. Edge finder and drill chuck key come to mind (photo 1). The other one is designed to hold that unweildy vise handle, dead blow hammer, etc (photo2). Both mount to the t- slot on the front of the table.

Cleaning and painting on the lathe continues as well, now working on the bed from the headstock end as shown in photo 3.

While that paint is drying, I have started on cleaning up the cold saw as it's starting to look like a decent machine again (photo 4).

Bill

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #197 on: September 06, 2018, 07:16:24 PM »
Nice!

I like that idea of the vise handle and dead blow hammer holder. Unfortunately such a thing won't fit on my machine but it does give me an idea to save some space and have those tools handy. I will think on that.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #198 on: September 06, 2018, 08:28:52 PM »
I think you’re gonna like the vice handle thingy, the tray will work well if you remember to cover it with a shop towel or something or I’ll guarantee you that you would be surprised at the swarf and crap it’ll catch.

Rev

Offline 90LX_Notch

• North Eastern Pennsylvania USA
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #199 on: September 07, 2018, 12:24:43 AM »
I'm very envious of your shop Bill.  It is going to be really nice once it is completed.

-Bob
Proud Member of MEM

My Engine Videos on YouTube-
http://www.youtube.com/user/Notch90usa/videos

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #200 on: September 07, 2018, 01:02:29 AM »
Thanks Bob. I hope it turns out like I see it in my head.

Eric, there are only 3 small compartments, which I think I can blow out or vacuum out. If it needs a good washing, it will come off quite easily.

Bill

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #201 on: September 08, 2018, 01:46:30 AM »
Still thinking about the holder for the vise handle and dead blow hammer...
I'd said it wouldn't work on my table but I just realized I could fit something to the stand that my mill sits on.
Cool. That will save some space.
Only...I need to think about the swarf falling on top of it.  :thinking:

Setting up a shop is really enjoyable.
"To work. To work."

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #202 on: September 08, 2018, 01:56:47 AM »
Zee, it is basically just an "L" shaped of aluminum. Hardware is provided for the slot mounting but the same two holes could be attached to any flat surface.

Bill

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #203 on: September 08, 2018, 02:14:54 AM »
Zee, it is basically just an "L" shaped of aluminum. Hardware is provided for the slot mounting but the same two holes could be attached to any flat surface.

Oh I understand. What blinded me was that yours was mounted on the table. I can't do that. It took me a day to realize I could mount it to the table and enjoy.
"To work. To work."

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #204 on: September 09, 2018, 07:32:55 PM »
The phrase "make haste slowly" comes to mind but progress continues on several fronts. Carriage cleaning on the lathe has begun and the rest of the front side of the stand is done now. Sorry no picture of that. On another front I have a rather old ( name plate says 1977) Dayton commercial 6" bench grinder that I am cleaning up and repainting also. The main housings for the grinding wheels are cast iron and the outer covers cast aluminum (photo 1). Seems far better than what you can typically get these days so stripped those down to bare metal and painted them hammered black. The motor body was cleaned and painted with hammered gray  ( I kind of like this Rustolium hammered paint). See photo 2. While painted parts are drying, the clean up of the cold saw has almost finished ( photo 3) and it will be painted dark Hunter green. The front side of the stand door has been painted and is drying (photo 4).

Hopefully the re-siding and re-roofing of the building will commence this week. I must say it sure has been nice though walking in to a dry 72 degree shop as it is still very warm and humid outside.

Bill

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #205 on: September 09, 2018, 07:45:20 PM »
Dayton makes good stuff, certainly worth fixing up. I have an 8" Dayton the I purchased new probably close to 30 years ago; nice grinder.
I'm envious of your cold saw.

Dave

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #206 on: September 09, 2018, 08:06:48 PM »
Thanks Dave, I meant to add that I have ordered two new Norton wheels for it as well which should be in tomorrow. One alum oxide and one green wheel for carbide tools. The cold saw was used a lot back in my tool and die days and gives a very nice finish on the cut edge. The vise can also be swiveled for cuts anywhere between 0-45 degrees. It will be good to have it available again as I don't have a horizontal band saw.

Bill

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #207 on: September 09, 2018, 08:09:14 PM »
That is the way I have mine set up too. One green and one white.  :ThumbsUp:

Dave

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #208 on: September 09, 2018, 08:47:32 PM »
Hello Bill,

From the photo the Saw looks to be in great shape and no need for a paint job. The shop is looking very good.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #209 on: September 09, 2018, 08:54:52 PM »
Thomas, mechanically and electrically it is in great shape. Unfortunately there is some minor water damage around the bottom of the base and I want to get fresh paint on those areas to protect against any further damage. I haven't been able to fine a similar color of green so just went with hunter green instead. If nothing else it will give an extra layer of protection even on the good areas since the saw is run with flood coolant always. Guess I could have used John Deere green to match the tractor, but it will be relegated to another location eventually as I want the shop space as open as possible.

Bill

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal