Author Topic: Workshop Log  (Read 42161 times)

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
Re: Workshop Log
« Reply #195 on: January 09, 2022, 12:20:05 PM »
Ha! Yes that orange look makes it look red hot - that’s funny.

It’s a lovely space - I’m really lucky (though I had a large part to play in creating that luck). I need to get more productive now. I have a welding project to finish up - a custom plant rack for my wife. It’s aluminium so it’s a challenge. But once that is done I can get back to my stuff.

That said, I consider myself very lucky indeed to have a spouse who places great value on home made things.
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #196 on: March 05, 2022, 09:10:07 PM »
Made a couple of adjustments in the milling area this week. I bought a set of used levelling pads some time ago - got a set of 8 for the price of 4 new ones, then sold on the 4 I didn't need so myself and someone else got a set of levelling pads each for about a quarter of the new price. That's a win. Anyway, I finally installed them. Glad I did - the mill table is actually level front to back and side to side, but not only that the mill is completely stable. No rocking. I love that. Should have done this a long time ago.

There they are, under the mill in all the shavings.

Also, added a compressed air drop near the mill. Now I can reach up and have compressed air on hand while I'm working. This is great - I can keep the vise leadscrew clear of chips at last, and clean off work as I go. A simple but excellent addition.

Wonky pic.

It was a lot of faffing around putting in that air circuit, which I think I did about 3 years ago now. But I'm glad I did, having air drops strategically situated around the shop is excellent. I picked up another identical air circuit kit from the local "mens used stuff" shop for $15, so I'm going to do the other area of shoppe as well.

:ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:
Stuart

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #197 on: March 06, 2022, 05:31:59 AM »
The leveling feet are nice!  And I'm jealous of your air drops around your shop! I've got one hose that I move about with me.   It's not bad, but but it sure would be nice to not have the air hose kicking around on the floor all the time!

You've got an A1 setup there Stuart!

Kim

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #198 on: March 07, 2022, 01:54:17 PM »
Thanks Kim,

Modifying the shop and the tools a bit here and there is as fun a part of the hobby as the engines themselves. That speed aire (I think that's the brand) is pretty nice, and as reasonably priced a way of doing the circuit as any. A long time ago I was considering doing it all in copper tube which would have been a lot of work, and one reason it took years to get to. When I discovered these kits it happened very quickly. The circuit I have is 3/4" diameter, but that's overkill. If I were to do it again I'd go with the smaller kit at 1/2", which is a lot cheaper. The 3/4" is not silly expensive, but there is no need to spend the extra for it in most home shops.
Stuart

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #199 on: March 07, 2022, 04:05:55 PM »
Interesting?  Could it have been RapidAir? I googled SpeedAire and came up with RapidAir.  Looks pretty interesting!  I could see doing that someday! :)  Nice shop improvement project!

Thanks Stuart!
Kim

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #200 on: March 07, 2022, 04:35:51 PM »
RapidAir! That's the one.
Stuart

Online Twizseven

« Reply #201 on: March 07, 2022, 06:11:05 PM »
Love the space in that workshop.  My space is 33ft x 24ft and its crammed solid.  Just space for one car which insurance will not allow to be parked outside overnight.

Colin

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #202 on: March 07, 2022, 11:30:27 PM »
Hi Colin,

I did get lucky on finding this space, and I love it to bits. Some intense work at one stage of my life funded building out the interior, and having given up motorcycling my amateur fabricating and machining is now my major hobby, so I have had a major purge over the last 4 years resulting in selling all my bikes, and gaining a lot of space. I'm still gradually clearing out things here and there and those funds buy consumables and materials. It's funny how these things grow over time though.
Stuart

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #203 on: May 16, 2022, 05:50:50 PM »
The latest and greatest shoppe modification.............

Mosquito netting! I added a clip on (marine style snaps with velcro along the top for a seal) mossy net, so that I can weld and fabricate in the main part of the shoppe in summer with the door open, and not be bombarded by flying fings when I'm working.

I'm rather pleased with this, I have to say. Simple and effective.
Stuart

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #204 on: May 16, 2022, 08:39:09 PM »
That's great, Stuart!  It is really nice to work with the door up in nice weather, isn't it! Sometimes the low tech improvements are the best of all! :ThumbsUp:

Kim

Online Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #205 on: May 16, 2022, 08:47:50 PM »
That's an impressively large and clean workshop Stuart.  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:

The clip on mosquito netting is a very clever idea, I am so glad I don't have that problem to contend with.

Mike
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #206 on: May 16, 2022, 09:14:14 PM »
Kim - yes absolutely. A lot of days are quite humid, but come evening time usually cools off a bit and it and it's just nice to have the fresh air come in. But the mosquitos will exsanguinate you in a matter of minutes around here so until now it's just not been practical except on a very few spring and fall days.

Mike - thanks! This shop is very much a labor of love, and I've been careful to move stuff on rather than fall into the trap of acquire and keep for no reason. Finding this property with this shed already built was a stroke of luck, since then I've gradually added to it and improved it.

Anyway the netting comes from a company called Mosquito Curtains. they have some very fancy options to allow you to have the curtains on rails, magnetic joining strips and all sorts, but simple is the way to go on this one.
Stuart

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #207 on: May 16, 2022, 11:42:48 PM »
looking for the shop envy emoticon!
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #208 on: May 17, 2022, 01:16:38 AM »
Ha - now I need to leverage it and start making good parts. Although I genuinely think I'm improving and getting more accurate.
Stuart

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #209 on: June 05, 2022, 06:21:15 PM »
I observed my mini 4 jaw chuck on my rolly cart, and realized I have not yet made a stub for it. I fancied a go at single point threading today, plus I have been looking at a piece of 316L that I filched from the scrap bin at work, and just wanted to try turning it into something. Sooooo...........

M14 X 1.0 thread:

That went alright. Now, when I need this, it is ready, rather than making me all peevish because I didn't do it in advance.

Now I have to mow the mosquito pit that is the lawn.  :Mad:
Stuart

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal