Author Topic: Rods verision of the Lombard  (Read 13505 times)

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
Re: Rods verision of the Lombard
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2018, 06:39:12 PM »
Very cool and a great looking model.  :ThumbsUp:
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2018, 07:18:18 PM »
Nice!!
Is that the donkey engine from the William Harris book? Another one on my (long) list....

Offline rspringer

« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2018, 07:46:32 PM »
Yes it is.  A sweet little steam engine.  I is propane powered but I need a more powerful burner.  The steam pressure drops like a rock when working under a heavy load,  and takes too long to recover.  I have turbulators in the flues.  Tried it on coal, I have better coal now so will try it again.  We used a table spoon to feed it.  Still have not tried it on wood, that is coming.  Logging disconnects are in the plans also.  You should knock that out in a few weeks of your spare time.   :praise2: :praise2:

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2018, 08:04:10 PM »
Very nice set up, how many feet of track do you have?

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline rspringer

« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2018, 10:10:38 PM »
None, unless you count the short display tracks and stands for the trains and equipment.  This was at a club track in Tenn.  Put every thing in the van or on a trailer and off we go. 

Offline rspringer

« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2018, 05:31:11 AM »
I am still here and looking forward to playing in the shop again.  I had the back surgery and am now over 2 weeks post op.  Able to get around and about.  Still cant drive and have a 10 lb weight limit.  I am doing much better not near as much pain and I can stand up straight (first time in almost a year).

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2018, 12:54:49 PM »
Glad the back is getting better, hope you can get to play in the shop again soon!

Offline rspringer

« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2018, 09:25:24 PM »
I am back for just a moment.  Just wanted to post an update.  I have not given up on the project, just side lined.  Had surgery on my back in July and I am recovering from that just fine.  But, isn't there always a but,  I fell after the surgery and tore my rotator cuff and now I am healthy enough for another surgery.  Yeah I am looking forward to it.  Getting old is not for the weak.  I am posting a picture of my progress on the tracks.  I will have to make a few more lugs and finish all of them.  Some will have to be redone.  I am famous for turning perfectly good stock to scrap.  (correction : small pieces for future projects).   

Offline rspringer

« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2018, 09:30:25 PM »
Any body that is in Mississippi or the surrounding area don't forget Soule Steam Festival in Meridian MS next weekend.  I will be there with my steam donkey.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2018, 10:08:05 PM »
Hi Rod,

Glad to hear that the back surgery went well, sorry about the shoulder though!  Hope you recover from that well too.

The tracks look great, thats a major step!   For those others watching, note that Rod is making his to twice the size of mine, going to be a very impressive model!

:popcornsmall:
 :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2018, 10:11:29 PM »
Rod, looking again at the photo, hard to be sure but did you add the longer slot at the center of both sides of each track plate to give room for the sprocket teeth? Or is that still to come?  Sorry if I am getting ahead.

Offline rspringer

« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2018, 11:00:07 PM »
Still to come. The slots are coming when I can replace the vice. I have the rotary table on the mill with the first of the drive wheels still mounted.  This is as far as I managed to get with out moving heavy objects.  I am thinking of making mine like the patent drawing with the chain on the outside and four small wheels.  The plates don't have the internal groove for the idler wheels yet,  waiting to make the idlers to see how they fit.  You said impressive I prefer to think massive.  My work is not impressive.  Out of curiosity I just weighed the track plate each one weighs just over 4 ounces. The sprocket blank weighs in at almost 4 pounds.  That is a lot of metal to remove.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2018, 11:13:35 PM by rspringer »

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2018, 11:17:09 PM »
Still to come. The slots are coming when I can replace the vice. I have the rotary table on the mill with the first of the drive wheels still mounted.  This is as far as I managed to get with out moving heavy objects.  I am thinking of making mine like the patent drawing with the chain on the outside and four small wheels.  The plates don't have the internal groove for the idler wheels yet,  waiting to make the idlers to see how they fit.  You said impressive I prefer to think massive.  My work is not impressive.  Out of curiosity I just weighed the track plate each one weighs just over 4 ounces. The sprocket blank weighs in at almost 4 pounds.  That is a lot of metal to remove.
That would be neat. Lombard didn't make many that way, but I think the Phoenix versions did.

At 4oz per plate, those full tracks are hefty!

Someday we got to get both models together.

:cheers:

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2018, 03:11:48 AM »
Wow, I didn't realize this was going to twice the size of the one Chris built! That is going to be a very impressive machine. :o

:popcorn: :popcorn:

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline rspringer

« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2018, 04:02:19 AM »
The thing is going to be quiet the little beast.  I was going to build a traction engine.  Years ago I saw drawings in Model Railroader and thought "I would like to build one of those someday".  There I sat safe in my little world secure in the knowledge that it was 1300 miles away and I could never do the design and drawings anyway.  Then this elf master from the frozen north land (some place called New York) goes and builds one of the blasted things.  Then he has the nerve to talk the people who run the only magazine I subscribe to into running a build series.  Does he not know that some of us are comfortable in our ignorance.   :Director: Then he even goes so far as give me words of encouragement.  Does he have no shame.  Alas I have no elves only a few gremlins to keep me on my toes.

Back to reality,  Chris built his in 1 inch scale but this was not big enough.  I wanted something that could pull me around the yard and at steam shows and be compatible with my 2.5 inch shay.  It runs on 7.5 inch gauge track, that makes it narrow gauge, I am WIDE gauge.  The original idea was to go 2.5 inch(1 to 4.8), some quick figuring said  it would be 75 inches.  Doable.  Then cube that the weight goes up to 15.6 times Chris's.  NOT doable.  Back to the drawing board.  2 inch scale (1/6 full size)  that comes out to 60 inches and only 8 times the weight.  I can move that.  With a 6 inch locomotive boiler it should produce ample steam to putter around.  Sixty inches also comes out to a scale 24 foot flat car again reasonable.

Thanks to Chris I can now build what some have called just plain UGLY but I like it.  Bet no one else will have one running around at the shows. 

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal