Author Topic: Rods verision of the Lombard  (Read 13479 times)

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Rods verision of the Lombard
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2018, 03:31:54 AM »
 :pics:

Offline rspringer

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2018, 04:51:24 AM »
OK Here are the first pictures of semi finished parts.  This is some of the track plates.  They started life as a 20 foot stick of 3/8 by 1.5 hot roll.  Plus a little. The fingers are 1/4 wide.  Have not made much progress had the grand babies last week did not even open the shop. :old:

Offline rspringer

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2018, 05:05:03 AM »
The beginnings of the drive wheel.  It is 6 inches diameter and .25 thick. 

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2018, 01:29:03 PM »
Nice! 

:popcorn: :popcorn:

Offline rspringer

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2018, 05:16:02 AM »
Todays attempt.  Only broke 2 1/8 inch end mills.  I really really don't like those little things.  They work great in the smaller machines, but in my Bridgeport I just cant feel what they are doing.  Had to get creative to hold it.  I don't have any ball end mills so stood it up on end.  Tomorrow I will have to scrounge around to find some half inch rod and some one eighth to make an axel and u bolts.   

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2018, 01:37:28 PM »
Looks good - thats the front axle holder, right?

Offline rspringer

« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2018, 06:10:21 AM »
Well I was off to a good start.  Not as fast as Chris he makes me feel slow.  Updates will be few and not very often for a while.  Waiting on back surgery so can't pick up much.  Bigger is not always better, but I am building what I want and in the size I want.  Asked the Dr. can you fix it or do I need to start building model boats.  He thinks he can fix it.  But the bad part is he said no MOTORCYCLE for at least 3 months.  I need some cookies.   :old:  I should be able to get some little things done.  All of my machines are full size and are really hard to operate sitting down.   

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2018, 10:00:38 PM »
But the bad part is he said no MOTORCYCLE for at least 3 months.

Aargghh - that is bad - you have my full sympathies and the hope of a speedy recovery ...!... oh yeah and looking forward to see the big one continue too  :ThumbsUp:

Best wishes

Per

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2018, 10:03:14 PM »
Best wishes on your surgery. Has it been scheduled?
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2018, 11:01:41 PM »
Hope it comes out well, imagine the recovery time will slow things down too. 

What about your buddy, Mike I think his name was, he was going in for some heart work recently as I recall.
Speedy recovery to you both!

Offline rspringer

« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2018, 10:43:05 PM »
Christmas has come to Mississippi.  I broke down and ordered several toys that have been on my wish list for quiet some time.  This week I  received a DRO for my mill.  I had one when I bought but died a long time ago.  I just went out the back door and almost tripped over my new 5 inch dividing head.  I had to drag it into the house it weighs too much for me to pickup.  I am keeping the delivery guys busy.  Ordered from MSC 3 times this month, working on another order now.  Sat down last night to debur some of the track sections and my sanding belts were so old the glue  broke down and let lose.  So got to order more ..  So far I have spent many times more on tools than raw material.  I hit the scrap yards.  That is why almost everything will be steel.  They don't have brass (people just don't throw that away).  looking forward to playing trains in the near future.  We are planning a mini logging meet for the week of the Fourth.  Just got to get the Donkey out and make sure every thing works.   The surgery has not been scheduled as of yet.  I am guessing in about 5 or 6b weeks after all of the aprovals.  Had to get cardiologist OK.  And he did.  So we will see.  The weather has been perfect for motorcycle riding.  Hope I Can ride this fall.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 10:46:31 PM by rspringer »

Offline rspringer

« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2018, 11:15:38 PM »
Oh and about my Lombard.  I have been looking at all of the beautiful models on this sight and am a little embarrassed by my sad effort. I build working models, My efforts are never  intended to sit on a shelve in the living room.  They are working models meant to run get dirty and beat up a little.  So little mistakes like an slot too deep or out of place a little does not bother me.  And after looking at some full sized equipment I don't feel that I am the only one.  The Lombard like the Donkey will be put to work hauling logs and kids.  Last year I took my Donkey to a couple of shows.  I watched the people, they would look at the perfect models in the glass cases and on the tables sitting there.  The grown ups and kids said pretty.  Then they came to my table.  I would ask the kids "how many times today have you been told to keep your hands to yourself / don't touch". Most just rolled their eyes. When I told them they could play with my toys their eyes lit up and they immediately looked at their parents, Mom would nod in approval.  One young man of maybe 13 or 14 asked my what good was it.  I said "I makes me smile and made you smile"  he thought a second and replied "I guess that is good enough"  smiled and twisted a handle. There was a lot of pictures taken not of my donkey but of smiling kids.  So as you follow my build don't see the roughness or mistakes, but see the smile of some kids face as they get to touch and handle things on the my table. Thanks for the support and help.
Rod

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2018, 11:35:04 PM »
There is a special class of model builders with exceptional talents who build nearly perfect models. Most of us are much further down the scale from perfect. And then there are those like you and me who put more stock in "close enuf" and running than showcase.

We're ALL wanting to see pics and to follow your progress!!

:popcorn: :popcorn: :cheers:

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline rspringer

« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2018, 05:40:25 PM »
Have not been able to work/play in shop.  But that does not stop me from having a little fun.  Played with the donkey last week with a couple of friends. 

Offline rspringer

« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2018, 05:46:22 PM »
Using models to do work is a lot of fun.  We set up a high line and actually moved logs.   This was a test of concept and capacity.  All and all a very good outing. 

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal