Author Topic: Rods verision of the Lombard  (Read 13486 times)

Offline rspringer

Rods verision of the Lombard
« on: June 03, 2018, 12:07:23 AM »
Well I have decided to build my version of the Lombard.  It will be 2 inch scale (1/6).  That will be a 5 foot long model.  I wanted to have something to ride behind. 

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Rods verision of the Lombard
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2018, 12:10:17 AM »
Getting the popcorn ready!

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2018, 01:06:15 AM »
Oh nice, that will be a big one :o

Bill

Offline kvom

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2018, 01:24:01 AM »
Clearly the boiler will need to be more like those for live steam locos.  Coal or propane?

Offline rspringer

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2018, 02:16:26 AM »
Propane,  coal is my preferred fuel.  That is the original intent anyway,  I don't see an easy way to fire it from a log sled (wagon) riding behind the thing.  That is subject to change once I get further in the build.   The projected size will be about 5 feet long and a gesstimate on weight is 4 to 5 hundred pounds.  We live in a cubed world.  I initially wanted to build in 2.5 inch scale to go with my narrow gauge trains. But that would have been just too big.  The boiler will be locomotive style with a scheduled 40 6 inch pipe about 30 inches long.  working on the drawings and stress calculations and probably operate at 110 to 125 psi.   
I have most of the track lugs made.  Started out with 20 foot stick of 1.5x3/8 hot roll and need a bit more.  Out of that I removed 2 coffee cans of chips and still cutting.   I will not make near as much and as fast progress as Chris did.  I can only play for short spells at a time.  A/c in shop is busted and it is full blown summer in the Delta.  Also my elves have flown north for the summer.

I am using Chris's plans and making mods as necessary to make it twice as big.  Not only is it twice as big but 8 times the volume.   

A friend dropped off a 4 foot piece of boiler tube yesterday.  THANK YOU

more to follow 
I like my popcorn with butter

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2018, 02:36:28 AM »
Sounds great, looking forward to some photos!

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2018, 06:24:08 AM »
Ooh goody!

Looking forward to it already!

Hay Chris,
Looks we better get sorted & see what rates we can get on international shipping of bulk popcorn......don’t think I can convince enuff growers down here to put any more fields under popcorn.....they might come on board if I errr we up consumption....my stocks are still ok, with you taking a brake I might just get thru to next season!

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline kvom

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2018, 11:55:14 AM »
In my opinion fixing the AC is job#1.   :old:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2018, 01:08:26 PM »
Ooh goody!

Looking forward to it already!

Hay Chris,
Looks we better get sorted & see what rates we can get on international shipping of bulk popcorn......don’t think I can convince enuff growers down here to put any more fields under popcorn.....they might come on board if I errr we up consumption....my stocks are still ok, with you taking a brake I might just get thru to next season!

Cheers Kerrin
Nuts.com sells the hull-less white popcorn by one and five pound bags, very tasty...

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2018, 06:26:34 PM »
Looking forward to following your build, Rod.
Should be fun!  :popcorn:
Kim

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2018, 07:36:58 PM »
Chris,
 I was thinking more along the lines of bushel size sacks........by the container load!

Cheers Kerrin

Offline ddmckee54

• We're having fun now --- or so I've been told.
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2018, 09:06:12 PM »
Kerrin:

If you look around, I'm sure you can find someone that will sell you "Supersack" of popcorn, in whatever variety you prefer.  Just guessing, but a supersack of popcorn should be close to the 1000 Kilo weight range.  I've never had any experience with popcorn, but the supersacks of rice, salt sugar and other ingredients that I am familiar with have been in that range.

That should last you a couple of days.

Don

Offline rspringer

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2018, 09:57:47 PM »
AC is working.   :cartwheel:

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2018, 02:21:57 AM »
Kerrin:

If you look around, I'm sure you can find someone that will sell you "Supersack" of popcorn, in whatever variety you prefer.  Just guessing, but a supersack of popcorn should be close to the 1000 Kilo weight range.  I've never had any experience with popcorn, but the supersacks of rice, salt sugar and other ingredients that I am familiar with have been in that range.

That should last you a couple of days.

Don

Hahhaha now that’s more like the size we need!

Cheers Kerrin

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2018, 02:26:06 AM »
AC is working.   :cartwheel:

:pinkelephant:

But you must have left your window open, its way too cold up north here!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2018, 03:31:54 AM »
 :pics:

Offline rspringer

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2018, 04:51:24 AM »
OK Here are the first pictures of semi finished parts.  This is some of the track plates.  They started life as a 20 foot stick of 3/8 by 1.5 hot roll.  Plus a little. The fingers are 1/4 wide.  Have not made much progress had the grand babies last week did not even open the shop. :old:

Offline rspringer

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2018, 05:05:03 AM »
The beginnings of the drive wheel.  It is 6 inches diameter and .25 thick. 

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2018, 01:29:03 PM »
Nice! 

:popcorn: :popcorn:

Offline rspringer

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2018, 05:16:02 AM »
Todays attempt.  Only broke 2 1/8 inch end mills.  I really really don't like those little things.  They work great in the smaller machines, but in my Bridgeport I just cant feel what they are doing.  Had to get creative to hold it.  I don't have any ball end mills so stood it up on end.  Tomorrow I will have to scrounge around to find some half inch rod and some one eighth to make an axel and u bolts.   

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2018, 01:37:28 PM »
Looks good - thats the front axle holder, right?

Offline rspringer

« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2018, 06:10:21 AM »
Well I was off to a good start.  Not as fast as Chris he makes me feel slow.  Updates will be few and not very often for a while.  Waiting on back surgery so can't pick up much.  Bigger is not always better, but I am building what I want and in the size I want.  Asked the Dr. can you fix it or do I need to start building model boats.  He thinks he can fix it.  But the bad part is he said no MOTORCYCLE for at least 3 months.  I need some cookies.   :old:  I should be able to get some little things done.  All of my machines are full size and are really hard to operate sitting down.   

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2018, 10:00:38 PM »
But the bad part is he said no MOTORCYCLE for at least 3 months.

Aargghh - that is bad - you have my full sympathies and the hope of a speedy recovery ...!... oh yeah and looking forward to see the big one continue too  :ThumbsUp:

Best wishes

Per

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2018, 10:03:14 PM »
Best wishes on your surgery. Has it been scheduled?
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2018, 11:01:41 PM »
Hope it comes out well, imagine the recovery time will slow things down too. 

What about your buddy, Mike I think his name was, he was going in for some heart work recently as I recall.
Speedy recovery to you both!

Offline rspringer

« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2018, 10:43:05 PM »
Christmas has come to Mississippi.  I broke down and ordered several toys that have been on my wish list for quiet some time.  This week I  received a DRO for my mill.  I had one when I bought but died a long time ago.  I just went out the back door and almost tripped over my new 5 inch dividing head.  I had to drag it into the house it weighs too much for me to pickup.  I am keeping the delivery guys busy.  Ordered from MSC 3 times this month, working on another order now.  Sat down last night to debur some of the track sections and my sanding belts were so old the glue  broke down and let lose.  So got to order more ..  So far I have spent many times more on tools than raw material.  I hit the scrap yards.  That is why almost everything will be steel.  They don't have brass (people just don't throw that away).  looking forward to playing trains in the near future.  We are planning a mini logging meet for the week of the Fourth.  Just got to get the Donkey out and make sure every thing works.   The surgery has not been scheduled as of yet.  I am guessing in about 5 or 6b weeks after all of the aprovals.  Had to get cardiologist OK.  And he did.  So we will see.  The weather has been perfect for motorcycle riding.  Hope I Can ride this fall.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 10:46:31 PM by rspringer »

Offline rspringer

« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2018, 11:15:38 PM »
Oh and about my Lombard.  I have been looking at all of the beautiful models on this sight and am a little embarrassed by my sad effort. I build working models, My efforts are never  intended to sit on a shelve in the living room.  They are working models meant to run get dirty and beat up a little.  So little mistakes like an slot too deep or out of place a little does not bother me.  And after looking at some full sized equipment I don't feel that I am the only one.  The Lombard like the Donkey will be put to work hauling logs and kids.  Last year I took my Donkey to a couple of shows.  I watched the people, they would look at the perfect models in the glass cases and on the tables sitting there.  The grown ups and kids said pretty.  Then they came to my table.  I would ask the kids "how many times today have you been told to keep your hands to yourself / don't touch". Most just rolled their eyes. When I told them they could play with my toys their eyes lit up and they immediately looked at their parents, Mom would nod in approval.  One young man of maybe 13 or 14 asked my what good was it.  I said "I makes me smile and made you smile"  he thought a second and replied "I guess that is good enough"  smiled and twisted a handle. There was a lot of pictures taken not of my donkey but of smiling kids.  So as you follow my build don't see the roughness or mistakes, but see the smile of some kids face as they get to touch and handle things on the my table. Thanks for the support and help.
Rod

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2018, 11:35:04 PM »
There is a special class of model builders with exceptional talents who build nearly perfect models. Most of us are much further down the scale from perfect. And then there are those like you and me who put more stock in "close enuf" and running than showcase.

We're ALL wanting to see pics and to follow your progress!!

:popcorn: :popcorn: :cheers:

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline rspringer

« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2018, 05:40:25 PM »
Have not been able to work/play in shop.  But that does not stop me from having a little fun.  Played with the donkey last week with a couple of friends. 

Offline rspringer

« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2018, 05:46:22 PM »
Using models to do work is a lot of fun.  We set up a high line and actually moved logs.   This was a test of concept and capacity.  All and all a very good outing. 

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2018, 06:39:12 PM »
Very cool and a great looking model.  :ThumbsUp:
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2018, 07:18:18 PM »
Nice!!
Is that the donkey engine from the William Harris book? Another one on my (long) list....

Offline rspringer

« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2018, 07:46:32 PM »
Yes it is.  A sweet little steam engine.  I is propane powered but I need a more powerful burner.  The steam pressure drops like a rock when working under a heavy load,  and takes too long to recover.  I have turbulators in the flues.  Tried it on coal, I have better coal now so will try it again.  We used a table spoon to feed it.  Still have not tried it on wood, that is coming.  Logging disconnects are in the plans also.  You should knock that out in a few weeks of your spare time.   :praise2: :praise2:

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2018, 08:04:10 PM »
Very nice set up, how many feet of track do you have?

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline rspringer

« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2018, 10:10:38 PM »
None, unless you count the short display tracks and stands for the trains and equipment.  This was at a club track in Tenn.  Put every thing in the van or on a trailer and off we go. 

Offline rspringer

« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2018, 05:31:11 AM »
I am still here and looking forward to playing in the shop again.  I had the back surgery and am now over 2 weeks post op.  Able to get around and about.  Still cant drive and have a 10 lb weight limit.  I am doing much better not near as much pain and I can stand up straight (first time in almost a year).

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2018, 12:54:49 PM »
Glad the back is getting better, hope you can get to play in the shop again soon!

Offline rspringer

« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2018, 09:25:24 PM »
I am back for just a moment.  Just wanted to post an update.  I have not given up on the project, just side lined.  Had surgery on my back in July and I am recovering from that just fine.  But, isn't there always a but,  I fell after the surgery and tore my rotator cuff and now I am healthy enough for another surgery.  Yeah I am looking forward to it.  Getting old is not for the weak.  I am posting a picture of my progress on the tracks.  I will have to make a few more lugs and finish all of them.  Some will have to be redone.  I am famous for turning perfectly good stock to scrap.  (correction : small pieces for future projects).   

Offline rspringer

« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2018, 09:30:25 PM »
Any body that is in Mississippi or the surrounding area don't forget Soule Steam Festival in Meridian MS next weekend.  I will be there with my steam donkey.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2018, 10:08:05 PM »
Hi Rod,

Glad to hear that the back surgery went well, sorry about the shoulder though!  Hope you recover from that well too.

The tracks look great, thats a major step!   For those others watching, note that Rod is making his to twice the size of mine, going to be a very impressive model!

:popcornsmall:
 :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2018, 10:11:29 PM »
Rod, looking again at the photo, hard to be sure but did you add the longer slot at the center of both sides of each track plate to give room for the sprocket teeth? Or is that still to come?  Sorry if I am getting ahead.

Offline rspringer

« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2018, 11:00:07 PM »
Still to come. The slots are coming when I can replace the vice. I have the rotary table on the mill with the first of the drive wheels still mounted.  This is as far as I managed to get with out moving heavy objects.  I am thinking of making mine like the patent drawing with the chain on the outside and four small wheels.  The plates don't have the internal groove for the idler wheels yet,  waiting to make the idlers to see how they fit.  You said impressive I prefer to think massive.  My work is not impressive.  Out of curiosity I just weighed the track plate each one weighs just over 4 ounces. The sprocket blank weighs in at almost 4 pounds.  That is a lot of metal to remove.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2018, 11:13:35 PM by rspringer »

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2018, 11:17:09 PM »
Still to come. The slots are coming when I can replace the vice. I have the rotary table on the mill with the first of the drive wheels still mounted.  This is as far as I managed to get with out moving heavy objects.  I am thinking of making mine like the patent drawing with the chain on the outside and four small wheels.  The plates don't have the internal groove for the idler wheels yet,  waiting to make the idlers to see how they fit.  You said impressive I prefer to think massive.  My work is not impressive.  Out of curiosity I just weighed the track plate each one weighs just over 4 ounces. The sprocket blank weighs in at almost 4 pounds.  That is a lot of metal to remove.
That would be neat. Lombard didn't make many that way, but I think the Phoenix versions did.

At 4oz per plate, those full tracks are hefty!

Someday we got to get both models together.

:cheers:

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2018, 03:11:48 AM »
Wow, I didn't realize this was going to twice the size of the one Chris built! That is going to be a very impressive machine. :o

:popcorn: :popcorn:

Pete
Retired, finally!

Offline rspringer

« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2018, 04:02:19 AM »
The thing is going to be quiet the little beast.  I was going to build a traction engine.  Years ago I saw drawings in Model Railroader and thought "I would like to build one of those someday".  There I sat safe in my little world secure in the knowledge that it was 1300 miles away and I could never do the design and drawings anyway.  Then this elf master from the frozen north land (some place called New York) goes and builds one of the blasted things.  Then he has the nerve to talk the people who run the only magazine I subscribe to into running a build series.  Does he not know that some of us are comfortable in our ignorance.   :Director: Then he even goes so far as give me words of encouragement.  Does he have no shame.  Alas I have no elves only a few gremlins to keep me on my toes.

Back to reality,  Chris built his in 1 inch scale but this was not big enough.  I wanted something that could pull me around the yard and at steam shows and be compatible with my 2.5 inch shay.  It runs on 7.5 inch gauge track, that makes it narrow gauge, I am WIDE gauge.  The original idea was to go 2.5 inch(1 to 4.8), some quick figuring said  it would be 75 inches.  Doable.  Then cube that the weight goes up to 15.6 times Chris's.  NOT doable.  Back to the drawing board.  2 inch scale (1/6 full size)  that comes out to 60 inches and only 8 times the weight.  I can move that.  With a 6 inch locomotive boiler it should produce ample steam to putter around.  Sixty inches also comes out to a scale 24 foot flat car again reasonable.

Thanks to Chris I can now build what some have called just plain UGLY but I like it.  Bet no one else will have one running around at the shows. 

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2018, 04:07:51 AM »
Ah, another who is willing to admit his weakness to the siren call of bigger, taller, wider, more power!! :mischief:

As if that was an unusual condition..... :lolb:

Pete@very weak
Retired, finally!

Offline rspringer

« Reply #46 on: September 24, 2019, 12:10:54 AM »
After a long absence, I have started doing a little bit of modeling.  Still too hot, plus I can’t stand long, to be in the shop for more than a short time.  In the live stream train world there is a saying " build the tender first."  So I decided to build a sled for the Lombard.  This is where the cross buck is connected to the runners. 

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #47 on: September 24, 2019, 12:19:02 AM »
Hey rod, glad to see you are able to get back to the model!  I'll be up in Maine in two weeks driving theirs, will tell it that it has another little brother in the works.

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Offline rspringer

« Reply #48 on: September 24, 2019, 12:40:59 AM »
In the last year I have not just been sitting around.  Well not all of the time anyway.  I acquired an Atlas 6 inch lathe and a Taig lathe.  I bought a 4 jaw self-centering chuck for the Taig.  It drove me crazy.  Look at it wrong and it would be 15 thousand off and then it would be 5 thousand off.  Come to find out it was a Sherline chuck.  The spindles are the same size except Taig is a little longer and the chuck would not seat properly.  Once the problem was found a simple 1/8 collar fixed it right up.  Looking for a mini-mill to put in spare room.  Love to have machines in the house.  You can tell I am single. I can sit at the lathe and actually get something done.  I have been making Square nuts and bolts.  Boy do they take a lot of time to make.  The photo is a 1.25 inch 2-56 bolt started with 1/8 square stock.  Right hand cut tool and a inverted cutoff tool.  First time using an inverted tool on the back of the saddle.  Worked well.  Chris how did you train your elves?  Mine only know how to hide stuff in plain sight. 

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #49 on: September 24, 2019, 12:45:34 AM »
Training the shop elves is a tricky thing, you need to find thier favorite food (up here chocolate chip cookies) to bribe them with. Keep their beer locked up, or you'll find your socket wrenches threaded on the shop light cords...

I agree about a shop in the house and lathe/mill you can sit at, much easier for long shop sessions.

Offline rspringer

« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2020, 08:59:10 PM »
The Lombard has been on hold for an indefinite period Of time. I just can't get in the shop and do stuff like I used to be able to. So I decided to build a couple of sleds for the Lombard. Call me crazy but I decided I wanted square head Nuts and Bolts. I proceeded to make them thought it would be fun.  After using up 30 ft of 3/16 Square stock I still am not finished. I'm afraid to count how many there are in this thing. The bolts are 5-40. 

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2020, 09:16:35 PM »
30 feet?  Sounds like a full-size sled! Wow.

Offline rspringer

« Reply #52 on: January 13, 2020, 09:37:16 PM »
This is one of the runners.   It will make quite a wall hanging.

Offline ddmckee54

« Reply #53 on: January 15, 2020, 06:52:06 PM »
I thought the runners had a forged wear plate on them, or are those yet to be installed?

If you're interested, there's a guy in Montana that's been building a horse-drawn bobsled for the past 4 or 5 weeks. (He's just about done with it.) https://www.youtube.com/user/EngelsCoachShop  His bobsled won't be too much smaller than the lumber sleds were.

If the lumber sleds were built like his bobsled is, most of the bolts will be carriage head bolts instead of square head.  But then again, you're building it, it's YOUR wagon shop and you can use whatever bolts you want to build your sleds.  Our thoughts and opinions REALLY don't matter, YOU are the only one that has to be satisfied with your work.

Don

« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 07:11:37 PM by ddmckee54 »

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #54 on: January 15, 2020, 08:16:16 PM »
Rod already has these (and more) pictures I took of the sled up at the logging museum in Maine, but I am posting these for everyone elses reference. This one was built with new timber but with sets of original Lombard hardware that they had (they have built several of these from original ironwork). They do have square head bolts/nuts.

The sleds were made to run on roads that had been iced and grooved so the slots would help the sleds 'track' well. They would typically run logs during the day, then go back with special horse drawn sleds to water/groove as needed at night. Downhill stretches would get straw scattered on them to help slow things down and prevent runaway trains, the Lombard steamers had no brakes (things would jackknife with them anyway). Pairs of the sleds would gget stacked with logs, and then formed up into long trains to be pulled by the Lombards. Many tons per train!

Offline rspringer

« Reply #55 on: January 15, 2020, 08:41:45 PM »
Well Chris you are quick on the draw.  I was just looking those pictures up. 

Don thanks for the comments.  I am building from a blueprint from the 1920s.  I does call for some countersunk bolts.  Mostly where sliding surfaces meet.  I have made Several of those also.  Part of the ideal of making the bolts and all of the rest of those things was for therapy.  Been a rough 2 years.  They give me something to do, are not critical in size, and I don't mind the same thing over and over.  It will have 2 sets of shoes.  One will be as wide as the runner and the other will be about half of that.  I do love to watch Engels Coach Shop.  Every Friday.  I did find out that the countersunk bolts that hold the shoes in place are called Shoe Bolts.  I settled on 3/16 square (1.125 scale), 1/8 (.75 scale ) would probable been closer to correct but I like the beefiness they give.  I have a box of miscellaneous parts that I have been SLOWELY making. 

Everyone else thanks for the encouragement.  Helps keep me away from the TV.   

Offline ddmckee54

« Reply #56 on: January 15, 2020, 09:14:22 PM »
The square head bolts would have saved time over using the carriage bolts on the irons.  They wouldn't require you to heat the iron and drift a square hole in it.  You could just drill a round hole.

If you had to hand-forge the bolts out of round stock, a square head would probably also be easier to forge than a carriage head.

Like I said, it's up to the wagon shop owner.

Don

Offline rspringer

« Reply #57 on: January 19, 2020, 11:57:14 PM »
Quick question, what is a relatively easy way to make a 3/16 square nut driver. 

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #58 on: January 20, 2020, 12:25:55 AM »
Couple ways I can think of.

For a clock winder, I needed a square driver once - equivelant to that would be to drill small holes at the corners, then one large 3/16" hole in the center, connect/even out sides with a rotary tool bur. The corner holes are center on or just inside the points, so the corner of the nut wont hit.

For the Kozo New Shay, he shows milling a channel in the side of some square stock to form a U, then silver solder a strip on the fourth side to close it in.

EDIT: Another thought - check your automotive socket sets, if you have 12-point ones, see if one will fit the square nuts.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #59 on: January 20, 2020, 07:28:23 AM »
For a 3/16 sq nut you should be able to get away with a No 10 clock key  ;)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #60 on: January 20, 2020, 01:11:30 PM »
Mill a 3/16" slot across the end of say some 5/16" round and then silver solder in a piece of 3/16" flat that has had a 3/16" slot cut across it (sort of U shape) then skim it down in the lathe to leave a round outside

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #61 on: January 20, 2020, 01:48:39 PM »
Other ways to make a square socket, in addition to the good ways already mentioned:

1. drill a hole in a round steel bar that fits over the corners of the square stock. Heat to bright red. Swage to a socket shape with hammer over the end of the 3/16 square bar. The square bar will likely get damaged as you go, just cut off the damaged bit and continue.
2. Google "rotary broach" and make one, use that.
3. drill a 3/16" round hole in a round steel bar. Find a piece of 3/16" square high speed steel. Sharpen the high speed steel end to a sort of reverse pyramid or cone shape to make a mortising punch. hammer the punch into the hole to shave out the corners. (some hex socket wrenches are made this way). Some sort of sleeve for guidance from punch to workpiece will help.
4. Build an EDM machine and use that to burn the square socket. (this sounds far fetched but it really is not difficult if you have built any electronics projects. Google "how to build an EDM" , a book by Ben Fleming. I built his original design machine and it works really well for any sort of odd shaped hole, and for removing broken drills, bolts, taps etc from holes in anything.)

Just food for thought. As usual, there are lots of ways. :cheers:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline rspringer

« Reply #62 on: January 26, 2020, 09:28:25 PM »
 Thanks for the suggestions.  I took the quick and very dirty way out.  1/ 4 hex bar 3/16 hole in end hacksawed an X across slight flare.  It worked since was only using to run nuts up and down.  Will tighten later after assembly.  Some of the nuts were in quarter inch recessed  holes. I was going to heat the end of it and use a tapered punch,  but as usual propane tank was empty.   

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal