Author Topic: Morton M5  (Read 7232 times)

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Morton M5
« on: May 31, 2018, 04:28:32 PM »
As a few of you were enquiring about Morton M5's I thought I would show you what I have been fondling today  :mischief:

This is the little single cylinder Morton. It shares the same cylinder and head assembly at the 5 cylinder version. (It has the wrong points bracket on it  :facepalm2: )

For all you enthusiasts who want to make your own Morton you will note that there are various cylinders/head castings   :naughty: Some Crankcase patterns and the timing cover pattern has been found. Even the building jigs  :ThumbsUp:.

However before anyone goes off wanting to do investment casting from the cylinder  ::) It might be worth noting that I have tracked down the original patterns/moulds etc and the person who has them is investigating putting this engine back into production. So we may yet see the Morton casting sets becoming available again  :whoohoo:

Jo
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 04:48:07 PM by Jo »
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline wirralcnc

Re: Morton M5
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2018, 06:12:14 PM »
Hi jo. Nice looking Morton parts.
Isn't Mike white. (USA) doing Morton castings? He took over from Bruce satra. I'm sure they had 7 cylinder Morton in the pipeline. I can remember seeing a video of it run. I did contact Mike recently regarding cylinder castings. I've not had a reply yet.

I wanted 14 cylinder castings to make a double row Morton. It's been done before.

Robbie

Online Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2018, 06:39:59 PM »
I have always liked the Morton. The single cylinder version looks such an 'ugly bug', which makes it specially cute and appealing.

I do hope the investment casting do become available again. Am I correct in thinking the multipart metal dies for the cylinder were used to 'cast' the investment waxes, rather than to diecast the cylinders in aluminium?

If you have tracked down the crankcase and timing cover patterns and also the original patterns/moulds etc; does that mean the person who owns them is now the 'owner' of the design?

Mike
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 06:43:36 PM by Vixen »
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Offline Rich Carlstedt

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2021, 04:26:47 AM »

old posting, but has any development occurred on the availability of castings for this engine ?
I cannot find a posting newer than this one
Thanks for any leads
Rich

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2021, 07:32:30 AM »
No but I may, depending on the Covid situation, be visiting the owner of the patterns next week. The major problem here in the UK is getting castings done.

The guy who has them I recall also has the capability to do aluminium casting but has not done any it for over 10 years that I recall  :thinking: he prefers to go to the foundry.

Jo

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2021, 08:16:08 AM »
Jo are those original patterns from the US or another set of patterns that have been made up at some time? The unmachined casting in a couple of your photos does not look to have the crispness of that of the built up engine so wonder if they are from the same pattern or have been cast using different methods?

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2021, 08:34:09 AM »
Are you are referring to the reject cylinder casting alongside the original Morton cylinder? The owner was going to look into investment casting or making a die for cylinder castings.

Jo

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2021, 08:39:07 AM »
This was the one that did not look to be upto the same standard as the others. Also some differences in shape so I thought itt may have come from different patterns.

looking at the head I would doubt it could easily be pulled from a die or sand so more likely as Mike says dies were used to make up several waxes that were joined together and then investment cast as one.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2021, 08:44:27 AM by Jasonb »

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2021, 08:44:39 AM »
I suspect that reject was an attempt to use an existing cylinder as a pattern and it proved what they had originally thought that it would not work.

Jo

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2021, 02:28:57 PM »
Many years ago while attending an antique engine show an older fellow came up to my table and looked at my engines. After a short while he commented that I didn't have a radial engine and would I like a set of drawings for one. Naturally I said yes and he actually left the show and came back with a full set of Morton drawings. The drawings lay dormant in my drawings box for many years until I decided to take a look at them. I studied them and went online to find out more information about the Morton and discovered it's shortcomings. At that point I designed my own engine based on a lot of the Morton dimensions. Being as this is Jo's thread I won't elaborate on my work but here's a some pictures of what I came up with.
gbritnell
Talent unshared is talent wasted.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2021, 05:18:41 PM »
That is a very nice looking engine George  8)

Jo

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2021, 03:05:34 PM »
I went today to attempt to borrow the Morton Castings and patterns to find the owner has SOLD them   :hammerbash: and he never mentioned anything to us :cussing:

Jo

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2021, 04:38:26 PM »
No doubt got a better offer than the little fella was willing to stretch too, maybe two boxes of Snickers would have sealed the deal rather than one ;).

Wonder if we will see any engines surface or will the patterns just sit on a shelf again :thinking:

Has he finished that No1 yet?

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2021, 04:53:08 PM »
I don't expect to see anything surface and he could not remember who he sold them to  :slap:

He has been doing a 5A for over 2 years now and 14 of those months has been on the water pump  :noidea:

Jo

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2021, 05:03:57 PM »
Ah 5A  :-[

So did you come back with anything else of interest that has not already been confiscated?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal