Author Topic: Morton M5  (Read 278 times)

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Morton M5
« on: May 31, 2018, 04:28:32 PM »
As a few of you were enquiring about Morton M5's I thought I would show you what I have been fondling today  :mischief:

This is the little single cylinder Morton. It shares the same cylinder and head assembly at the 5 cylinder version. (It has the wrong points bracket on it  :facepalm2: )

For all you enthusiasts who want to make your own Morton you will note that there are various cylinders/head castings   :naughty: Some Crankcase patterns and the timing cover pattern has been found. Even the building jigs  :ThumbsUp:.

However before anyone goes off wanting to do investment casting from the cylinder  ::) It might be worth noting that I have tracked down the original patterns/moulds etc and the person who has them is investigating putting this engine back into production. So we may yet see the Morton casting sets becoming available again  :whoohoo:

Jo
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 04:48:07 PM by Jo »
Usus est optimum magister

Offline wirralcnc

Re: Morton M5
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2018, 06:12:14 PM »
Hi jo. Nice looking Morton parts.
Isn't Mike white. (USA) doing Morton castings? He took over from Bruce satra. I'm sure they had 7 cylinder Morton in the pipeline. I can remember seeing a video of it run. I did contact Mike recently regarding cylinder castings. I've not had a reply yet.

I wanted 14 cylinder castings to make a double row Morton. It's been done before.

Robbie

Online Vixen

• Hampshire UK
Re: Morton M5
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2018, 06:39:59 PM »
I have always liked the Morton. The single cylinder version looks such an 'ugly bug', which makes it specially cute and appealing.

I do hope the investment casting do become available again. Am I correct in thinking the multipart metal dies for the cylinder were used to 'cast' the investment waxes, rather than to diecast the cylinders in aluminium?

If you have tracked down the crankcase and timing cover patterns and also the original patterns/moulds etc; does that mean the person who owns them is now the 'owner' of the design?

Mike
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 06:43:36 PM by Vixen »
It is the journey that matters, not the destination