Author Topic: Cutting Bar stock  (Read 2458 times)

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Cutting Bar stock
« on: May 31, 2018, 03:53:57 PM »
Don't ever let anyone tell you making engines out of bar stock is easy  :hellno: .... Just try cutting this little bar with your hacksaw  :facepalm2: Its times like these when you have to phone a friend  ;D

Woman handling this little bit of bar required a lot of toe care.. Dropping (or even resting) a bar this weight on ones fingers or toes may be educational for those listening but best avoided. So there was a lot of jacking it up and as you can see the roller skates came in handy again first to lift the bar on to the saw and then to prevent the end going "Dong"  when it finished being cut off  :paranoia:

Of course someone had to want her 100mm for the flywheel out of the middle of the bar :embarassed:

I can report the piece is now safely home and has joined the rest of the Commander parts... Have I ever mentioned how much easier castings are to work with  ::)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline GordonL

Re: Cutting Bar stock
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2018, 05:06:15 PM »
OK I'll bite. Why did it have to be out of the middle of the bar. I assume that it was the same diameter full length and the material was the same full length.

Offline Bluechip

• Derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2018, 05:18:44 PM »
Jo doesn't say what it is  :headscratch:

But if it is continuously cast (?) all the nasties land up at one end of the bar. This SHOULD be removed at the casting facility ..... fond hope ....  :facepalm:

So, in some cases, best avoid that bit.  Other grief is where the end's been cut off with an abrasive disc. Can be damned hard if it's been cooled quick .

Dave
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 05:24:11 PM by Bluechip »

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2018, 05:43:14 PM »
OK I'll bite. Why did it have to be out of the middle of the bar. I assume that it was the same diameter full length and the material was the same full length.

Because if we cut it from one end there was a big risk that the weight of the other (unsupported end the other side of the saw) would let the end of the bar sag and break the saw blade :Doh: (The cut time meant there was a risk of the hydraulic table sagging with the increasing weight over time as it cut  :facepalm2: under the balanced end it only had to support it after it cut through  :ThumbsUp: ) We also gained two manageable bits of bar stock for future jobs.  :ThumbsUp: Other than my Big C there are not many hobby lathes that would appreciate a 1m long piece of steel 150mm dia to turn  :ShakeHead:

Dave that is a bar of EN1A  :)  Reeves charge both arms and legs for their Commander flywheel casting so cutting it off a bar end which was being 'given away' was seen as cost effective  ;)

Jo

P.S. Surus has overseen the purchase of his last few castings for his Commander so it is nearly ready to be made  :cartwheel:

toolznthings

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2018, 05:46:47 PM »
Certainly like your small scissor lift table !  :ThumbsUp:

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2018, 05:51:50 PM »

That's Eric's one, mine has rubber wheels  :) Eric tells me if he brought his again he would also go for rubber wheels. They were about £70 delivered when we brought these a couple of years ago and they have been really useful. Originally sold for supporting motorcycles so they could be worked on  :facepalm: :hellno:

Jo

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2018, 06:44:07 PM »
You made him work for his Jaffa today ;)

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2018, 07:17:09 PM »
You made him work for his Jaffa today ;)

The Jaffas  :facepalm: I left the packet at Eric's :-\

Jo

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2018, 07:18:13 PM »
They will be long gone by now :LickLips:

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2018, 07:19:07 PM »
They will be long gone by now :LickLips:

:'(

Offline bent

• Wet side of Washington State, USA
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2018, 07:21:12 PM »
Cute little lift table.  Looks like it came in handy.

toolznthings

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2018, 07:28:01 PM »

That's Eric's one, mine has rubber wheels  :) Eric tells me if he brought his again he would also go for rubber wheels. They were about £70 delivered when we brought these a couple of years ago and they have been really useful. Originally sold for supporting motorcycles so they could be worked on  :facepalm: :hellno:

Jo

I've had better luck with steel/cast iron casters on my shop carts. Work much better on concrete floors. At least for me.  ;D

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2018, 08:06:58 PM »
[I've had better luck with steel/cast iron casters on my shop carts. Work much better on concrete floors. At least for me.  ;D

That's what Eric told me when I brought my one  ;)

The rubber wheel ones seem to have doubled in price  :disappointed: but the standard cast Iron wheeled ones are still available: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HYDRAULIC-300LBS-SCISSOR-MOTOR-BIKE-MOTORCYCLE-JACK-LIFT-HEAVY-DUTY-CASTORS/222932315087?hash=item33e7cd2bcf:g:ryIAAOSw8NNa2KJZ a little more expensive  :-\

Jo

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2018, 08:08:04 PM »
That wasn't a bar - that was a log!

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2018, 08:21:10 PM »
Well thought out cutting job, but way outside my size range unless I start using the machines at work (Schaublin 150 anyone?)
Best regards

Roger

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal