Author Topic: Birthday Present Arrives  (Read 2257 times)

Offline Bobsmodels

Birthday Present Arrives
« on: May 28, 2018, 11:06:03 PM »
A yellow DHL truck pulled up Thursday afternoon with a 24Kg package from the UK.  It had been so long ago when I ordered it (February 5) I forgot what I ordered – ha ha.  I had wanted one of these since I first saw them advertised in the late 70’s when I was looking at Myford lathes.  I got my Myford lathe in 1981 and the seller on the invoice is Cowells, but purchased through a seller in the US.  I figured I better get one for my 71st or I would just keep waiting.

The machine was very well packed.  I got the lathe out of the box and it was a lot heavier than I thought it would be.   Took the covering off and there was the little beast!  A quick look showed everything looked good, opened the attachments and all looked good .  More pictures coming.

Bob

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Birthday Present Arrives
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2018, 11:34:29 PM »
Nice - looking forward to seeing it in action!

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2018, 12:31:47 AM »
Congrats Bob and happy birthday too.  Glad to see it all arrived safely. Colin does a good job of packing them.

Bill

Offline Bobsmodels

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2018, 12:38:34 AM »
After sorting everything out I started turning cranks, powered it on, and generally tried things out.  The finish on the lathe is real nice, everything turns and slides super smooth.  I checked out the attachments I ordered – drill chuck, 200DA collet adaptor, face plate, screw cutting gear set, and assorted arbors.  All these looked fine. 

The 3 jaw Chuck is a Bison and jaws nice and smooth running.  The tailstock chuck is 5/16 Rohm.  The faceplate is cast iron and heavier than I thought for such a small lathe.   

Bob

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2018, 12:44:35 AM »
Nice addition to the shop Bob, happy birthday!

Dave

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2018, 01:01:39 AM »
Very nice! Happy Birthday.

That's something to think about when I get older.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Bobsmodels

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2018, 01:45:43 AM »
The collet adaptor is for DA200 series of collets.  I have a 1/16 Erickson but need to get a full set.   There are a number of sets available.  These collets have a range.  Parlec and Centaur have a compression range of 1/64.  Erickson/Kennametal have a compression range of 2/64.  For example the Parlec 5/32 can collapse to 9/64.  That leaves a gap from 1/8 to 9/64 ie a 1/64 gap.   The Erickson 5/32 can collapse to 1/8, therefore, no gap.   When buying a set this would be a consideration.  In practicality this may not be a real issue but it is something to consider.  All  claim the same run out.   Bottom line is I need to decide what I want for my needs then buy it.

I need a 4 jaw chuck.  It has been suggested I get a Sherline 14mm x 1mm 2.5” OD chuck.  I have a Sherline 4 jaw and they are just fine.  I need to find out if the register that is cut on the 14mm chuck matches the Cowells.  Also need the Sherline Rotary Table chuck adaptor for 14mm.

That’s if for awhile, I will report in on findings and attachments in the tooling and machines section.

Bob

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2018, 02:07:31 AM »
Bob,
Maybe by the time of the Badger Steam & Gas show you will have some work to show from it.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2018, 01:44:10 PM »
Bob, what is the serial # on your machine?  Mine was 3733 so am curious how many they have made since then.

Bill

Offline Bobsmodels

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2018, 03:42:05 PM »
Art

Maybe I will have something, but with summer shows I doubt it, other than attachments and fixtures.

Bill

My serial number is 3750, so 17 of them.

Do you have the sherline 4 jaw, and if so does the register match up?

Thanks

Bob

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2018, 03:57:56 PM »
Bob, do you mean does it bottom out against the spindle nose?

Bill

Offline Bobsmodels

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2018, 01:35:32 AM »
Bill

Does it clear the register and then firmly lock against the flat perpendicular to the lathe center axis at the end of the register?  Another way to ask the question, does it fit like the 3 jaw supplied with the lath?

Thanks

Bob

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2018, 11:45:18 AM »
Hi Bob,
Just curious but what was the motivation for the purchase? It seems like your current machines have produced small and outstanding work. Not that I wouldn't want one myself!
Keep us appraised of the lathe's performance.
gbritnell
Talent unshared is talent wasted.

Offline Bobsmodels

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2018, 02:03:58 PM »
George

Part of what I have always enjoyed about the metal working hobby has been the machines and their uniqueness.  Every machine has a personality, it cuts a little different, it can handle one job better than the other.  Point is I like using different machines as much as I like building models.  I am fortunate to have the space as when we retired we sold the big house, built one about 1/4 the size, built a 30 x 60 pole building for the shop, and the basement for Gen's quilt studio.  With the space I have an arsenal of machines - 15" Cholchester, 12" Clausing, Myford, Sherline, Bridgeport, Clausing 8530 mill, Prazi mill, Sherline mill, Clausing 20" power feed DP, Laidlaw Bandsaw, Norton Surface Grinder, All American Die filer, and the usual grinders, sharpeners, etc .  Just for added pleasure I have full wood shop with dust collection system.  All this collected over 40 years.  I am a machine junkie.  In the 80's I used to buy machines (looking for that perfect one) and test them use them and if I did not like it sell it (at a profit) and buy another one.  At one time I had 10 lathes in different stages of playing with and 4 mills.  Given my constant looking I finally found some really nice machines.  Anyway ever since I got my Myford lathe in 1982 I had seen the Cowells and thought it to be a neat looking machine.  At 71 I decided now or never and just went ahead and purchased it.  I am very sure that anything I wanted to build could easily been done with the machines I have.  But I had not purchased a new machine since the Sherline stuff almost 10 years ago and thought it would be fun to try out a new machine and see how it would fit in.  I have to admit the cost stopped me for some years, but unfortunately (or fortunately) Gen is an enabler for my hobby so it now has home.  I have always wanted to try out a horizontal mill but just have not found one that works well ie condition.

Hope that answers your question - bottom line "just for the fun of it".  (and its just the kids inheritance anyway not my money! someday there will be one heck of an auction)

Bob

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2018, 10:15:50 PM »
Thanks Bob,
Enjoy the heck out of it!
George
Talent unshared is talent wasted.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2018, 12:33:53 AM »
I resisted too Bob for some years. Brexit and the exchange rates made the decision easier in the end or it would have still been out of sight!!

Bill

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal