Author Topic: Peanuts, Popcorn,,Cracker Jacks  (Read 27486 times)

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
Re: Peanuts, Popcorn,,Cracker Jacks
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2018, 04:07:37 PM »

Cletus cheats.  >:(

Oh, so you think starting with castings is cheating too :mischief:

I cannot comment. Casting such dispersions may bar me from certain threads or certainly lose stock with certain members.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2018, 04:35:24 PM »
Love the picture Zee; think I’ll print it and hang it in the shop. Yes Dave, they are Myers. Jason, yeah that was one of the dimensions, the other one that I spotted first was the depth of the ports to be milled. It seems like that a whole lot of dimensions are to be “determined by” a lot of other parts  :thinking: :shrug:. If I’m reading the drawings correctly, seems I should start on both ends and work towards the middle, yet the middle is one of the most crucial dimensioned parts (crosshead and trunk) . Looks like the port depths will have to be “determined” by the size of the exhaust port placement. It also looks as if there is no angle drilling to allow steam into the cylinder, but, a notch is milled to allow entry from holes drilled straight into the ports. There again, how deep to mill the notch, or does that have to be determined by the stroke of the piston. I guess I have been spoiled, but, sure seems like a whole bunch of stuff has to be determined by a whole bunch of other stuff  :lolb:. And finally, there is no race: I couldn’t compete fairly, as Zee is retired and I’m still working for tooling, taxes, and to support those that refuse to do the same  :lolb: :old: :facepalm:. Y’all come see us

Cletus

Offline Hugh Currin

• Box Elder, SD, USA
    • www.currin.us
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2018, 05:05:43 PM »
It seems like that a whole lot of dimensions are to be “determined by” a lot of other parts  :thinking: :shrug:.

Cletus
Job shops love drawings like this.

"There are missing dimensions on this drawing you sent."
"Oh, ya. Those are determined by the other mating parts."
"What other parts?"
"Oh, ya. The other parts for which you didn't win the bid."

Have fun.

Hugh
Hugh

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2018, 05:20:12 PM »
Most of those "determined" dimensions date back to when the holes would have been spotted through from another part, now that we use our DROs we are more likely to want to drill each part to dimension and know they will line up. Typical example is the placement of the cylinder end cover stud holes.

Depth of the notch at the ends should allow some open area that is not covered by the spigot of the cover or piston at the end of its stroke. Assuming it has 1/16" spigots on the covers then 3/32" deep would be OK. If you look at the couple of cylinder fabrications I posted over the weekend you will see similar notches.

Hard to tell without the rest of the drawing but I would drill two 3/32 or 1/8" holes down from these notches to meet the ports, For the ports just mill shallow slots and then drill the rest to meet the other holes, not worth risking a small dia cutter in a deep hole and no need to square them up. It's not as though you will be working the engine hard unless you are thinking of making pop corn or roasting your nuts as a side line ;)

J
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 05:23:18 PM by Jasonb »

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2018, 05:38:53 PM »

Cletus cheats.  >:(

Oh, so you think starting with castings is cheating too :mischief:

I cannot comment. Casting such dispersions may bar me from certain threads or certainly lose stock with certain members.

Making engines out of bar stock based on copyrighted drawings associated with commercially available castings may be considered to be cheating by the designer or company that is trying to stay in business by supplying those castings :stir:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2018, 06:19:55 PM »
Shouldn’t be the case here Jo. I think Zee is working his barstock one from drawings from our site and I’m doing the casting version from drawings supplied with my set.

Big E

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2018, 08:09:14 PM »
Come on old boy, about time for some progress photos, I've got my cylinder finished how are you getting on with yours? Hope you are not wasting too much time fondling it  :LittleDevil:

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2018, 10:00:41 PM »
Come on old boy, about time for some progress photos, I've got my cylinder finished how are you getting on with yours? Hope you are not wasting too much time fondling it 

:lolb: :lolb:

Love it when the  :stickpoke: is on the other end.

And none of this...oh have holidays, weddings, parties that you have to cook for.
And none of this...gardening or swimming getting in the way.

I'm okay with blaming Chris's elves...if you can justify it.

I should shut up. I've been quiet on my own thread.  ::)
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2018, 10:10:03 PM »
Come on old boy, about time for some progress photos, I've got my cylinder finished how are you getting on with yours? Hope you are not wasting too much time fondling it 

Love it when the  :stickpoke: is on the other end.

And none of this...oh have holidays, weddings, parties that you have to cook for.
And none of this...gardening or swimming getting in the way.

I'm okay with blaming Chris's elves...if you can justify it.

I should shut up. I've been quiet on my own thread.  ::)

Yeah Zee...    :stickpoke:

« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2018, 10:09:20 PM »
RE: :stickpoke: :stickpoke:; I’m good with it. I dish it out, so only fair that I take it  :lolb:. Thanks Jason, and I mean that  8), but seriously, I’ll be carving mine with a toolbit and not a mouse  :lolb:. I’ve gotten all of the pastures mown, wood hauled in for this weeks cooking, and so I hope to get to the shop this weekend and start a “proper build” . So Zee, are you still waiting on tooling or are you going to start building with me this weekend? I did break down the “machine floor” last week. I cleaned out a bunch of useful junk from under one work table and actually found a place to logically put it. With this table moved, I’ll be able to move the 10EE onto the “machine floor” and away from the “business end” of the surface grinder, as Bob(90LX Notch) pointed out. Lots going on here and I still have to find grilling, chilling, poolside drinking, time. Luv y’all and come see us.

Cletus

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2018, 04:36:02 PM »

:lolb:
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2018, 07:32:27 PM »
Craig , when you read comments like that from Zee, just take into account: he doesn’t wear blue jeans, bib overalls, or even wear shirts with pockets on them  :mischief: :lolb:. I think I’m going to send him, as a retirement gift, a pair of Liberty overalls (he can put his own hole in the pocket  :naughty:) and a two pocket Carhart shirt. Y’all might want to chip in on the footwear, cause I’m betting he’s more Wing tips than Redwings  :lolb:. Luv ya Zee. BTW, I’m going to start the cylinder casting this weekend, better jump on in. Y’all keep your powder dry.

Cletus

Offline kvom

« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2018, 08:19:51 PM »
Race between Cletus and Zee?  Tune in in 2021 to see the winner.   :naughty: :stir:

« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2018, 09:11:23 PM »
And they’re off: I wouldn’t wager on the completion time, but, I’d bet a hundred on number of posts on a thread  :lolb:  Speaking of which: y’all think we’ll have a Triple Crown winner this year?  :shrug:

Cletus

« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2018, 09:35:49 PM »
A little entertainment:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpdscS3UYDA" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpdscS3UYDA</a>

Cletus

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal