Author Topic: Drawing software for simple engine builds.  (Read 6860 times)

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
Re: Drawing software for simple engine builds.
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2018, 10:56:32 PM »
Carl---were you able to open that .step file I sent you?

Sorry for not getting back to you.

Yes! I was quite surprised to be able to open it.
It started with a bunch of options to select from but I just went to default.

Thanks!
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2018, 07:09:57 AM »
The joy of unsupported software  :killcomputer: I have just discovered that Alibre software is in compatiable with the latest version of Windows and for some reason the text tool no longer works in 2D mode  :ShakeHead:

Time to dust off that old Windows 7 machine :facepalm:

Jo

Have you had it running on W10 at any time? My original version which was a couple of years older than yours ran on W10 OK or was it just the latest windows update that has knocked it out. Also you need to get the license transfered to the old machine as you are a single user.

I got my old one transfered to the new W10 64bit from the old Vista 32 bit for free when you went and paid for Cubify :disagree:

You could upgrade to Professional as they are still running Legacy upgrades at a reduced cost which is what I have now done but less than it currently costs). As said the new owners of Alibre are talking about a version similar to the old PE.  Or convert everything to .STEP and open it up in F360 for free and learn that.

EDIT

Looks like it may become even more of a problem for you to use the old version shortly.

https://www.mintronics.co.uk/legacy-alibre
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 07:24:36 AM by Jasonb »

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2018, 07:23:58 AM »
Its the latest Windows update knocked it out.

I would have transferred but I could not find the necessary paperwork to do the transfer.

I noticed you had professional... send me the link to the upgrades.  :lolb: £1200 for the upgrade  :lolb:  :lolb:

I have two other machines that it is now up and running ok on but I prefer the big Windows 10 machine to work on.

Jo

P.S. I use a local license  ;)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 07:29:44 AM by Jo »
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2018, 07:55:17 AM »
Legacy upgrade is a lot less than that, you may only need to sell 1 or 2 casting sets to be able to afford it. :LittleDevil: I assume it applies to Cubify as well as Alibre.

Let me know if you got the e-mail as I lost my connection just after I hit send.

J

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2018, 08:04:03 AM »
It is still cheaper to roll back the latest Windows update, buy a new computer and leave this one as a dedicated Drawing machine  :Doh:

Jo

Offline gerritv

• St Catharines, ON
« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2018, 12:01:57 PM »
It is still cheaper to roll back the latest Windows update, buy a new computer and leave this one as a dedicated Drawing machine  :Doh:

Jo
I don't know what email JasonB sent you but I would go directly to the Alibre.com site for information. The mintronics link seems to be limiting your choice to a full upgrade. e.g. https://www.alibreforum.com/forum/index.php?threads/legacy-versions-losing-the-ability-to-generate-licenses.20341/ and https://www.alibre.com/flexera-deprecation/ indicates options not shown on the distributor site.

Gerrit
Don't confuse activity with progress

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2018, 12:13:39 PM »
I sent Jo an e-mail from Mintronics which has the legacy upgrade at about 25% of the figure she quoted above.

Looks like Jo will get 2017 version but as that was issued before latest Windows upgrade may not solve her text problem, I'm assuming anything dating back in Alibre include s Cubify as well
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 12:19:47 PM by Jasonb »

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2018, 12:17:48 PM »
Thanks Gerrit, Minitronics have always had a problem with understanding the difference between the home user market and commercial customers :ShakeHead:

This seems to be endemic with all software - you pay out lots then a few years later they  :censored: with the operating system and it doesn't work. I still have my Double Elephant drawing & rotoring A3 drawing boards and lots of paper if they try charging too much. I would prefer CAD but I do not need it enough to warrant paying anything like £100 a year for it  :hellno:

Jo

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2018, 12:26:22 PM »
I've never had problems with John at Mintronics when I have spoken to him several times, quite happy to accept that when I said I was a hobby user and did not want to pay more for the amount I used it. Must have caught me on a good day the last time he phones as that is when he offered a good deal to upgrade.

If you don't want to pay then go over to F360 and hope they don't charge in the future.

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2018, 12:40:26 PM »
Until the hardware fails  :facepalm: I have set up a dedicated, unconnected to the internet, XP machine with its own monitor to run Cubify. The software does notes boxes and all   :wine1:

The price is right  :ThumbsUp:

Jo

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2018, 01:49:19 PM »
The Fusion 360 seems to be worth persevering with, and you can't complain about the zero price tag for hobbyists.

I've kinda set myself a goal of learning to use the software by designing and then drawing up the plans of a decent sized horizontal steam engine I'd like to start building later in the year.

My only worry is it is easy to get caught up spending so much time perfecting a drawing that there is no time left to build the real thing  ;)

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #41 on: May 30, 2018, 03:24:46 PM »
Very odd.

I have a Dell laptop 4700. It was originally an XP machine. Then installed Cubify.
Upgraded to Win10 and have had several update since then. I'm at 1803 now.
No issues.

I can see how moving to a new OS (i.e. XP to Win10) can cause issues but an upgrade within an OS should not.
Has anyone had other software quit working after an upgrade within the same OS?

Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2018, 04:14:31 PM »
Update: having reinstalled the old version of Cubify on my Windows 10 machine (no it still does not work  :ShakeHead: ) I let it send off its error message.

I got back two Emails:

1. Its the operating system fault... The problem has most likely been triggered by a recent Windows 10 update - current versions of Alibre Design do not suffer from this issue.  Your options to resolve this issue are to revert to an earlier operating system, or to update your software to the current version.

2, Alibre have recently re introduced popular Alibre Design Professional. This module allows our customers a very low cost of ownership and licences are perpetual so there are no ongoing monthly costs for cloud hosting or upgrades. We do offer maintenance but it is optional unlike other softwares, even if you miss a year of maintenance the penalty to renew is small.

They even had to stress the "Low cost of ownership"  :lolb: I wouldn't have guessed looking at the price as it is more than I paid for the two previous licenses together  :Director: I'll let the professionals like JBWelder line their pockets and I am going to keep shovelling the coal in my old XP box  :ThumbsUp:

Jo

P.S. Surus has just mentioned the money I saved can go towards buying the last couple of castings for his Commander  :facepalm:   :pinkelephant:

Offline gerritv

• St Catharines, ON
« Reply #43 on: May 30, 2018, 04:37:12 PM »

I can see how moving to a new OS (i.e. XP to Win10) can cause issues but an upgrade within an OS should not.
Has anyone had other software quit working after an upgrade within the same OS?

Yes, most recently with Apple's upgrade from Sierra to High Sierra. Changes, for whatever purpose, hosed ProTools audio software. Our church Checkin app usually stops working after IOS updates. Previous Apple upgrades forced updates to Adobe Lightroom and in one case a new Mac so Lightroom would stay working. Have had similar issues with Debian and Ubuntu, recompiling programs resulted in a never ending circle of conflicting dependencies. Windows Server 2021R2 no longer lets me delete Alerts for things on my attached PCs, such as disc getting full warnings.

Nothing is immune from the effects of progress ;-)
Don't confuse activity with progress

Offline Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #44 on: May 30, 2018, 04:38:23 PM »
Update: having reinstalled the old version of Cubify on my Windows 10 machine (no it still does not work  :ShakeHead: ) I let it send off its error message.

Jo, I thought I had been following this thread, but now you have me confused.

Did you mean you reinstalled the old version of Alibra or was it Cubify?  The Emails appear to be from Alibra?

I am asking because I was thinking of putting Cubify on one of my old 32 bit XP machines.

Mike
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 04:44:48 PM by Vixen »
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal