Author Topic: Stirling Engine from Norm Jones Drawings  (Read 1967 times)

Offline Bobsmodels

Stirling Engine from Norm Jones Drawings
« on: May 27, 2018, 06:42:55 PM »
Hi

In 2014 my two granddaughters wanted to build a Stirling engine after several other projects. Model Engine builder had an article by Norm Jones and picked that one. They started in the shop when they were 8 and 10, now 19 and 21.

The oldest one, Rachel, finished up her engine this week, spent 6 days making parts and fitting it up. She is a senior this fall in Chemical Engineering at Michican Tech in Houghton MI. Being in college she had limited time but would try and visit for a few days each year. When they were younger they would spend almost a month. They are excellent quilters and spend time in grandma's shop also.

Rachel's last issue was the Crankshaft was too long by .022 causing some binding, she fixed that up.   Then she put a fire to the engine Saturday morning around 11 am and flipped it over and it took off. The smile and expression on her face was unbelievable. I think all model builders feel the same way when an engine comes alive for the first time, but it is great to see that on a young person interested in the hobby.

Natalie almost had hers done last summer. She had the graphite piston to make and some polishing. She will need to fit the engine up and see how smooth everything is. She also is in college targeting a MD degree. This summer she is taking a class and working to pay for college. Her goal is to get out to grandpa's shop for a building session, if she can find two or three days in a row. Its a 2 hour drive out to my place.

Here is a link to Rachel's engine:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYlPWvfav4o" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYlPWvfav4o</a>

Bob

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
Re: Stirling Engine from Norm Jones Drawings
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2018, 06:57:03 PM »
 :ThumbsUp: Lucky grandfather!

I have two daughters...neither seem interested in my shop (although they enjoy my goings on).
I have one grand-daughter...she's 8...and I've been working on her with minor success.
She, like my daughters, have many interests and not enough time for me.

Congrats! And that's a fine running engine.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2018, 07:01:31 PM »
What a great story Bob. The girls are certainly persistent as well and that will be important in their careers too.

Any other news to report yet ;)

Bill

Offline Bobsmodels

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2018, 07:05:20 PM »
Zee

The way they got hooked at 8 and 10 was building a fathers day present for their dad.  It was a finger engine from drawings in HSM May/June 2006.  It is simple one with bar stock.
I think they spent 10 days working on it off and on.  I told them when they were tired to just stop and head outside, go for a hike in the timber or whatever.  They would disappear for an hour or so and then be back in.

Bob

Offline Bobsmodels

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2018, 07:07:19 PM »
Bill

It came Thursday pm in the middle of Rachel's dash to the finish line.  I only got to open it and look it over, pictures soon.

Bob

Online Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2018, 08:11:58 PM »
That's pretty darn cool Bob!

Dave

Offline bent

• Wet side of Washington State, USA
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2018, 06:50:12 AM »
Dang, good job Rachel (and GP).  She should see if her Thermo prof. will give her extra credit for the build.

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2018, 05:35:57 PM »
Congratulations to you and her both, Bob!  That is a fine looking engine.  Seems like they had a good teacher :)
Kim

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal