Author Topic: Zee Needs Popcorn  (Read 57318 times)

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
Re: Zee Needs Popcorn
« Reply #615 on: November 28, 2018, 01:08:43 PM »
Hello Zee,

With the cold weather coming on you will now have plenty of time to spend in your nice warm shop. I am looking forward to seeing your engine running.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #616 on: December 05, 2018, 04:50:06 PM »
Thanks for all the  :stickpoke: (I guess).

I have been doing 'some' machining. I built a die filer.
I'm not very proud of it but it runs. Still unfinished. Some corners need knocking off and some holes moved  :embarassed:
I don't have an appropriate file yet. The one installed is cheap and too flexible.
It's designed to be driven by the lathe and is bolted down onto the carriage.
I'm not sure I like that idea. Seems I should worry about loading on the spindle.

It's not good enough to post in its own thread so I threw it in here. As trashed as this thread is, the title is still appropriate.  ;D

Why have you quit working on this engine?

Do you mean the Monitor? I busted an end mill which added to some already built up frustration so I set it aside. Then life got in the way.
If you mean the popcorn engine...somewhat similar story. Although I haven't really set it aside (yet) but life got in the way.

I should have gone back to the Monitor rather than start another (unfinished) engine but the popcorn really grabbed me.

I can try and make this story a little shorter but it would just be a list of excuses.

8 months retired now and I'm still trying to acclimate.
It's great waking up except for the thinking.
1st think, "There's nothing I 'have' to do."
2nd think, "So what should I do today?"

It's about here I get distracted.

[EDIT] That bolt against the bearing...bad idea. It's not tightened down, else nothing moves.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #617 on: December 05, 2018, 05:02:04 PM »
Nice Die filler, I bet you will find that useful  :)

8 months retired now and I'm still trying to acclimate.
It's great waking up except for the thinking.
1st think, "There's nothing I 'have' to do."
2nd think, "So what should I do today?"

It's about here I get distracted.

:thinking:

My question is "What do I want to do today" Then I have to start cutting back on the list so that it is actually possible and I don't feel disappointed when I can't complete everything  :disappointed: I have taken to making a list of what I planned to do in the morning and then crossing things off or capturing what I actually did so that I get a sense of achievement every day  :cartwheel:

I have just started month 4 of my retirement... I still think I need to go back to work for a rest   :embarassed:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #618 on: December 05, 2018, 05:55:23 PM »
Zee, for that bolt on the bearing - if you drill a shallow hole just into the bearing surface, then the bolt can go into that and at least keep the bearing from moving too much without having to be tightend down and squishing the bearing.
As for retirement, I am just at the 6 year point, very very happy in it, getting lots done on the hobbies while still relaxing a lot. It helped that our company (Kodak) spent most of the year in bankruptcy proceedings before we got nuked, so lots of time doing nothing to acclimate...

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #619 on: December 05, 2018, 06:14:20 PM »
I have just started month 4 of my retirement... I still think I need to go back to work for a rest   :embarassed:

I can say with authority that doing little to nothing can be just as tiring.  ;D
P.S. I keep a list of things to do as well. It hasn't helped yet.

I'll get there.

@Chris - thanks. I had thought about putting a little flat on the bearing. I forgot, in part, because the bearings got pressed in and haven't moved yet.

"To work. To work."

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #620 on: December 07, 2018, 07:26:47 PM »
5 ½ years for me.  I still step out the back door in the morning sometimes, look around and say “wow! Isn’t this great, glad I’m not back at the hell hole work”.  :cartwheel:
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #621 on: December 07, 2018, 07:36:04 PM »
Hello Zee,

Well it is now 16 years retired for me and I am worn out... :ROFL:, if I wasn't so old I would go back to work :lolb:

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #622 on: December 07, 2018, 11:26:30 PM »
Great!
Thanks you lot for depressing those of us that still have to get up & leave the house each day!
Done 50 hrs SO FAR this week.....another 10 tomorrow 😡😡😡 as well as being on call! Oh then it starts all over again on Monday, BUT not on call, with a bit of luck it will only be 40 hrs! 4 week holiday in Canada mid September to mid October is a distant memory.....

My Dad is coming year 32 in retirement, still plays in his shop every day, he’s just scaled down what he does, is more picky about what comes up his drive with the “ I hear you do machining jobs, I’ve tried a couple of engineering shops but.......”
He’s still trying to work out how he had time to go to work.

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #623 on: December 07, 2018, 11:58:11 PM »
Great!
Thanks you lot for depressing those of us that still have to get up & leave the house each day!
Done 50 hrs SO FAR this week.....another 10 tomorrow 😡😡😡 as well as being on call! Oh then it starts all over again on Monday, BUT not on call, with a bit of luck it will only be 40 hrs! 4 week holiday in Canada mid September to mid October is a distant memory.....

My Dad is coming year 32 in retirement, still plays in his shop every day, he’s just scaled down what he does, is more picky about what comes up his drive with the “ I hear you do machining jobs, I’ve tried a couple of engineering shops but.......”
He’s still trying to work out how he had time to go to work.

Cheers Kerrin
Similar requests to 'I hear you have a truck...'   :Lol:

I like to think fun retirement time in the shop is payback for years wasted in boring meetings!   :)

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #624 on: December 08, 2018, 12:28:05 AM »
I retired when I was 65. For about three weeks. Decided that "This way lies madness". That was seven years ago, and I am still trying to find a balance between time for my own hobby building small engines and doing contract machine design for a few select customers. It is a very fine line to walk, and still keep your balance. I wasn't really looking forward to retirement like many people do, but I got old anyways. Damn it Zee---are you going to finish that popcorn engine or not?

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #625 on: December 08, 2018, 01:20:13 AM »
Just past six months here and loving it. You will find a balance Zee.

Bill

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #626 on: December 08, 2018, 01:22:46 AM »
I wasn't really looking forward to retirement like many people do, but I got old anyways.

:lolb:

Damn it Zee---are you going to finish that popcorn engine or not?

This is proof that people can read my mind.

"To work. To work."

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #627 on: December 08, 2018, 01:34:30 AM »
I wasn't really looking forward to retirement like many people do, but I got old anyways.

:lolb:

Damn it Zee---are you going to finish that popcorn engine or not?

This is proof that people can read my mind.
I suspect he lost interest in the popcorn engine when he found out it doesn't spew out popcorn!   :Lol:

Offline JC54

• Grantham, Lincolnshire, UK
« Reply #628 on: December 14, 2018, 12:13:06 PM »
I am not sure it matters if the Popcorn engine churns out popcorn or not? Would Zee get any?  :Jester:  :old: :popcorn:
When the Fun Stops,, Stop!

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #629 on: December 14, 2018, 04:13:03 PM »
Finally some hard evidence of what I've suspected for some time now.
If you look closely at the pictures, that's one of Chris's gnomes, made up and dressed to look like an elf.  :cussing:

I've been getting sabotaged, I tell you, and it's all at the direction of Chris.  :cussing:

Deny it if you can Chris...but the photos say it all.  :cussing:

In the words of one of my heroes, "Of course you know this means war."  :cussing:

Be prepared Chris, I've been planning for this eventuality.  :cussing:
You're lucky my own shop gnomes are temporarily distracted with T's holiday cookies.  :cussing:

But come January...weather permitting... :hammerbash:

"To work. To work."

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal