Author Topic: Zee Needs Popcorn  (Read 57319 times)

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
Re: Zee Needs Popcorn
« Reply #525 on: September 25, 2018, 08:21:52 PM »
Zee,
I've got a set of 1/32" wide parallels.   These come in handy for things like that. My only problem is that they fall down, so you have to find something to set between them to keep them upright.  The springy corrugated snaky thing that Pete described works well for that.  I make them out of old pop cans.

There's also those wavy parallels that might have worked for you.  But a work piece has to be long enough to span a full wave or it won't stay up on those :)

Kim

Yep.  The 1/32:aren't used much but when you need them that are great !
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #526 on: September 26, 2018, 02:40:31 AM »
I just thought I'd throw this in the mix. When you're machining something small on parallels packing peanuts work great as a spacer to hold the parallels apart.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #527 on: September 26, 2018, 03:14:14 AM »
I just thought I'd throw this in the mix. When you're machining something small on parallels packing peanuts work great as a spacer to hold the parallels apart.
Art

:ThumbsUp: Good tip Art. I use them all the time. Cheap and easy to cut to the size needed.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #528 on: September 26, 2018, 03:22:39 AM »
Art

:ThumbsUp: Good tip Art. I use them all the time. Cheap and easy to cut to the size needed.

Jim
Neat idea, cheap and plentiful.  But do they come in metric?   :Lol:

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #529 on: September 26, 2018, 05:39:39 AM »
Art

Jim
Neat idea, cheap and plentiful.  But do they come in metric?   :Lol:

No, unfortunately not.  But if you look through your packing peanuts carefully, you can find both left handed and right handed ones, which can come in handy!  :lolb:
Kim
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 05:44:11 AM by Kim »

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #530 on: September 26, 2018, 07:21:48 AM »
I used to use a steel rull packed up at each end beyond the vice for packing thin work but a set of wavey parallels do the job now and they don't fall over or need spacing. The squash down to about 0.015 - 0.020"

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #531 on: September 26, 2018, 08:25:21 AM »
Double sided sticky tape: I also use it to hold bits of thin Ali to chuck/vice jaws to protect the work  ;)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #532 on: September 26, 2018, 12:01:59 PM »
Kim,
I hate to correct you but they do come in metric, just like the metric adjustable wrench made by Cresent. :lolb:
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #533 on: September 26, 2018, 12:14:01 PM »
I used to use a steel rull packed up at each end beyond the vice for packing thin work but a set of wavey parallels do the job now and they don't fall over or need spacing. The squash down to about 0.015 - 0.020"

I never knew the wavy ones would compress down. That would be great for thin bar.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #534 on: September 26, 2018, 12:40:16 PM »
You guys are lucky. Hoard your supply of peanuts!! Most shippers I deal with have changed over to the Sealed Air packing.

Bill

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #535 on: September 26, 2018, 04:30:40 PM »
You guys are lucky. Hoard your supply of peanuts!! Most shippers I deal with have changed over to the Sealed Air packing.

Bill

So true Bill. It's very hard to 'find a peanut' these days.  ;D

I didn't know the wavy parallels compress either. Mighty handy.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #536 on: September 26, 2018, 07:14:01 PM »

Bill
Yeah, love those, they throw the item in the bottom of a box with one small air pillow thingy, just seems to make it bounce around the inside of the box more. At least its easy to clean out the box...

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #537 on: September 27, 2018, 12:14:04 AM »
Yeah, aside from use as keeping parallels apart, packing peanuts are a PITA!!!

Bill

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #538 on: September 27, 2018, 03:33:04 AM »
Bill,
I cant agree with you more. More often than not someone with an antique British car stops of at the UPS store with the greasy, oily, leaking shocks they are then packed with peanuts and taped shut. I open box hold it over trash can, try to get rid of peanuts not shocks ect.... :wallbang: :hammerbash: A pair of 15 pound shocks and the lightweight peanuts don't play well together well.
Art

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #539 on: October 06, 2018, 07:08:32 PM »
Zee--what's happening with your build. It seems to have went very quiet lately. Hope all is well there.---Brian

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal