Author Topic: Zee Needs Popcorn  (Read 57374 times)

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Re: Zee Needs Popcorn
« Reply #510 on: September 14, 2018, 06:23:25 AM »
:headscratch: Why did that happen Zee?

How did you machine it?  :noidea:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #511 on: September 14, 2018, 07:29:11 AM »
When you say you had it sticking out the vice was the out the top or out the side, if out the side then that is most likely why it moved. Move it to the middle or if it must stick out the side put a matching piece of something at the opposite side so the moving jaw does not twist when tightened.

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #512 on: September 15, 2018, 09:09:27 PM »
Probably time to invest in a set of THIN paralells.
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #513 on: September 15, 2018, 09:35:37 PM »
The part was sticking out the side (and yes I know about having something on the other side).
The sacrificial piece came from the scrap box and wasn't high enough for the part to be proud of the vise.
That would have been better. Then the whole part would have been supported after finding the edge and during drilling.
(The part was supported in this case but the sacrificial bit was also sticking out. I think the whole thing tilted.)

Keep in mind too...I got scared off of being so heavy handed so I may have been too light. This was steel and I may have been able to increase pressure.

How thin are thin parallels? If they are are 1/16 or more then they'd interfere with the drills and reamers.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline kvom

« Reply #514 on: September 15, 2018, 09:49:30 PM »
I have 4 sets of parallels.  Standard set is 1/4", then 1/8, and 1/16, plus a 3" long set of 1/8" for us with precision machinist vise.  The last three sets are all from LMS.

You can remove the parallels if well clamped when you need to drill.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #515 on: September 15, 2018, 09:49:43 PM »
My 'thin' ones are 1/8", sometimes on thin parts I will use a thin metal ruler.

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #516 on: September 15, 2018, 09:55:34 PM »
Hey Zee

Keep in mind you don't need to use your piece part to find the edges. as indicated before you can use the vise jaw for the Y. What I typically do, is to use my vise stop and put a 123 block in the vise against the stop, then find my X&Y using the ground surfaces of the 123 block. This way you won't have to drop down between the jaws of the vise to do your edge finding. The hardened and ground block will also give more consistent results from your edge finder. depending on your vise you may need to set the 123 block on parallels to bridge the gap in the center of the vise.

My thin parallels are .03" thick.

Dave

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #517 on: September 15, 2018, 10:30:05 PM »
Why does it need to be proud of the top of the vise jaws Zee
 That is where you are losing me. If the part is .4375" front to back, the is enough to use the edge finder between the jaws unless it's a .500" finder.

Bill

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #518 on: September 15, 2018, 11:17:59 PM »
My parallels are 1/8". If that's thin...then they are too thick. And like I'd mentioned, 1/16" would have been too thick.

@Bill: You're correct. The part needn't be proud of the vise. As Dave mentioned...I could have used the edges of the vise jaws. For which I'm kicking myself because I've used the edge of the vise jaw several times in this build. Sometimes you just get an idea of how things are going supposed to go and don't listen to that little voice that says "did you even try to think of other ways?"

@Dave: .03 parallels would have worked.

Actually, as I was cleaning out the gutters a little while ago...I remembered. When I had my mini-mill, I'd made some soft jaws for my vise with a little ledge. Such little ledge acts like very thin parallels and would have ensured the part wouldn't tilt.

It's been on my list to make a set of soft jaws for the vise (now a different one since I got the bigger mill) but I just haven't got around to it.
"To work. To work."

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #519 on: September 15, 2018, 11:31:47 PM »
Zee, I wasn't trying to be critical at all, just trying to understand what happened and why. Believe me, I have done the same thing and learned the hard way.

Bill

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #520 on: September 15, 2018, 11:42:17 PM »
The steel strap banding that is used to bundle things like wood is a very useful thing around the shop. It's quite springy but is easily bent. When bent into a corrugated snakey thing it works great for a spacer/parallel under parts in a vise. And if you hit it with a drill it's no loss.

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #521 on: September 15, 2018, 11:44:08 PM »
Zee, I wasn't trying to be critical at all, just trying to understand what happened and why. Believe me, I have done the same thing and learned the hard way.

I hadn't taken it that way at all. You're a teacher. To teach, you have to get the facts.

And yes...I take solace in the fact that everyone has pretty much been down the same road of learning.

Just saw your post Pete. I also use foam. Messy, but cheap and easy.
"To work. To work."

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #522 on: September 16, 2018, 12:12:36 AM »
Zee,
I've got a set of 1/32" wide parallels.   These come in handy for things like that. My only problem is that they fall down, so you have to find something to set between them to keep them upright.  The springy corrugated snaky thing that Pete described works well for that.  I make them out of old pop cans.

There's also those wavy parallels that might have worked for you.  But a work piece has to be long enough to span a full wave or it won't stay up on those :)

Kim

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #523 on: September 16, 2018, 01:18:13 AM »
I've got a set of 1/32" wide parallels.   These come in handy for things like that. My only problem is that they fall down, so you have to find something to set between them to keep them upright.  The springy corrugated snaky thing that Pete described works well for that.  I make them out of old pop cans.

1/32" wide parallels would have been handy in many cases. As for falling down...I use foam to keep the parallels I have from falling down. I wish I could find the picture of where I got the foam from. It was a Halloween foam pumpkin head that I tore up into pieces. Worked great. Given Halloween is next month...it might be a good time to replenish my supply.

Darn. The kids are grown and out of the house. I'll have to steal from my grand-daughter.

I can do that.

Well maybe not steal. But trade for a fudgesicle (which she loves), or a bowl of ice cream...or just be decent and ask.  :lolb:
"To work. To work."

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #524 on: September 16, 2018, 01:25:44 AM »
Just to clarify, I meant that the snakey thing is used as the parallel...
I wish I had some pics....
Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal