Author Topic: Zee Needs Popcorn  (Read 57471 times)

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
Re: Zee Needs Popcorn
« Reply #390 on: August 31, 2018, 01:06:46 PM »
Zee two ways to get the threaded part right down, undercut bit as you don't have  a very large thread dia that may weaken the part or drill a shallow counter bore the clearance size for the thread into the top of the hole so the unthreaded part of the oiler will go down into that, Best done before tapping but can be done with care afterwards just watch the drill does not snatch and get drawn too far down the hole.

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #391 on: August 31, 2018, 01:24:06 PM »
Thanks Pete.

Thanks Mike and Jason. I believe I understand what you're saying. I may have a go at improving that.

The oiler was scaled down from Julius' plans. Although Stew's plans had a hole for oil (or an oiler) on the cross head guide, there was no plans for an oiler.
In reviewing Julius' plans, his oiler had more of a flat at the top of the thread. Had I made it that way, then I could have placed a flat on the cross head guide.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #392 on: August 31, 2018, 02:05:41 PM »
Nice little oil pot Zee  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:

Eric

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #393 on: August 31, 2018, 02:43:16 PM »
Looks fine to me Zee. I wouldn't change it at all.

Bill

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #394 on: August 31, 2018, 03:10:52 PM »
Had I made it that way, then I could have placed a flat on the cross head guide.

You can still do something similar assuming you are going to paint th etrunk guide. Just JB Weld on a small disc with a clearance hole in it so that the oil cup sits down on the disk. Something like this

Once the fillet has been filed to a give radius with a needle file and paint applied it will give the impression of a cast boss

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #395 on: August 31, 2018, 03:12:53 PM »
As Jason said, counterbore the cup so the unfinished part of the thread on the top has a place to go.  He seems to recommend using a drill for this but I would mount the part in the lathe and use a boring bar to do it so there is less chance of catching the existing thread.  Feed slowly and take shallow cuts.

Maybe it's just me but the hole in the cup looks fairly large.  If you find the oil draining out too quickly in use, you can insert a wire into the hole to partially block the flow.  Hide the wire inside the cup.

I think the oiler would look better if the diameter of the cap were larger than the diameter of the cup and had some fluting around the circumference.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #396 on: August 31, 2018, 03:36:55 PM »
Thanks Eric and Bill.

Nifty idea Jason.  :ThumbsUp:

Marv...the hole is indeed too large. I thought I'd mentioned that I didn't have the equipment to use such a tiny drill bit that was called for. Thanks for the idea to use wire.
As for the oil cap, I went by plans but agree your suggestion would look better.

I'd thought I understand what was being said about counterboring but I find myself lost.

I'd thought Jason was talking about counterboring the crosshead guide, not the cup. I don't know what modifications I'd make to the cup (other than I forgot to turn a shoulder at the top of the thread).

I can see a number of possibilities if I redo the cup but I'll wait to see how well the model turns out. The more difficult parts are yet to be done (governor, whistle, manifold).

I've attached pics of what I have.
"To work. To work."

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
« Reply #397 on: August 31, 2018, 03:50:54 PM »
The idea is to counterbore the mouth of the cup so that the unthreaded part of the cap has a place to go.  When this is done, the cap will thread on so that the gap between cap and cup disappears.

In the future, remember that whenever you thread something up to a shoulder, you might want to do an undercut to eliminate the unfinished or imperfect thread immediately adjacent to the shoulder.

I guess I don't understand the logic of an oil cup cap with a hole in it.  Isn't the cap meant to prevent dirt getting in the oil?  I've never seen one with a hole in the cap.

How small was the drill called out in the plans?  If you're going to build models, I'm afraid you will have to resign yourself to drilling tiny holes.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #398 on: August 31, 2018, 03:58:08 PM »
The idea is to counterbore the mouth of the cup so that the unthreaded part of the cap has a place to go.  When this is done, the cap will thread on so that the gap between cap and cup disappears.

In the future, remember that whenever you thread something up to a shoulder, you might want to do an undercut to eliminate the unfinished or imperfect thread immediately adjacent to the shoulder.

I guess I don't understand the logic of an oil cup cap with a hole in it.  Isn't the cap meant to prevent dirt getting in the oil?  I've never seen one with a hole in the cap.

How small was the drill called out in the plans?  If you're going to build models, I'm afraid you will have to resign yourself to drilling tiny holes.
The newer base I have for my Sherline mill has an oil cup on the table, that feeds oil down into the moving parts of the cross slides. They put a hole in the top of the cap, which I found the second time I opened it had allowed a LOT of small chips down into the cup, and into the oil tubes. Stupid design! I could see a small hole in the side as an air vent, but a dead center hole in the cap right where all the swarf lands?!   :shrug:

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #399 on: August 31, 2018, 04:28:30 PM »
Ah...my mistake. I thought you all were talking about the hole (in the guide) that the cup goes into, not the hole (in the cup) that the cap goes into.

Or...perhaps one of you was talking about one while the other one of you was talking about the other one.  ;D

I'm okay with that gap between cap and cup. To get rid of it, counterboring the cup makes sense and would have been done before tapping.
I don't have small enough boring bar (and won't make one at this point). I'm sure drilling will risk ruining the part. I'll leave things alone for now.

The hole was scaled down from 2mm to 1mm or about .039 (a #68 bit). My chuck doesn't hold that small.

On my 'to do or to get' list is a machine or something that can spin fast enough to use small drill bits.

@Chris: A hole in the side seems to make more sense but for this oiler the hole would have to go through two sets of threads and line up.

I've seen a number of members make oil caps with glass tubes and/or different caps. How do they vent?
"To work. To work."

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
« Reply #400 on: August 31, 2018, 04:40:39 PM »
@Chris: A hole in the side seems to make more sense but for this oiler the hole would have to go through two sets of threads and line up.

The hole goes through the side of the cap and intersects a blind hole in the threaded portion of the cap.  The other end of this blind hole opens into the oil chamber. 
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #401 on: August 31, 2018, 05:15:17 PM »

The hole goes through the side of the cap and intersects a blind hole in the threaded portion of the cap.  The other end of this blind hole opens into the oil chamber.

That works! Is that how it's done on those oilers that some members make (glass tube or not, but a cap)?
"To work. To work."

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
« Reply #402 on: August 31, 2018, 05:32:20 PM »
1st is that I don't have the equipment to make tiny holes. So the holes for the oil is a bit large. Not a biggie. This engine isn't going to run for long periods of time.

I remember you using a Sherline mill.  Surely that has the speed and chuck to handle small drills?
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #403 on: August 31, 2018, 05:49:27 PM »
1st is that I don't have the equipment to make tiny holes. So the holes for the oil is a bit large. Not a biggie. This engine isn't going to run for long periods of time.

I remember you using a Sherline mill.  Surely that has the speed and chuck to handle small drills?
Marv, I am the one with the sherline, also Bill, Zee has a larger mill and lathe.
 The sherline chucks will go quite small.
Chris

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
« Reply #404 on: August 31, 2018, 05:59:28 PM »
Marv, I am the one with the sherline, also Bill, Zee has a larger mill and lathe.
 The sherline chucks will go quite small.
Chris

Yes, I know that Chris.  But didn't the Zeester have a Sherline mill before he got the PM tools?
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal