Author Topic: Zee Needs Popcorn  (Read 57523 times)

Offline john mills

Re: Zee Needs Popcorn
« Reply #195 on: July 24, 2018, 08:48:12 AM »
if you set the cal up again in the 4 jaw chuck and bore aconter bore with a lead into the bore like full size engines have you would nearly clean up the marks in the edge of the bore ,the spigot a push fit would help seal the bore
with a lille sealant it would seal,the other marks will be coved with the cyl cover.

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #196 on: July 24, 2018, 02:27:39 PM »
Thanks everyone. Some very interesting ideas!

@Stuart: The cylinder got pulled out of the vise. When I had the mini-machines, I had a tendency to over-tighten. I made impressions on the mill table or crushed parts. With the new machines I've tried to be more careful and it appears the pendulum has swung too far the other way.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #197 on: July 24, 2018, 03:40:46 PM »
Zee

With ref to your last post get yourself some thin brass about 1/32 inch thick or 1 mm and cut it up into small pieces as you need it put it under the hold down clamp and the bed ( not of course the tee nuts ) this will protect the bed you can also use it to protect the work  in the vice /vise

Alternative softening get some aluminium flashing form you home depo cheaper than brass

What do I use both of them , a good firm pull on the vice/vise handle should hold things ok

If that happened I am surprised the cutter survived

Now this may sound the wrong way to go but make sure you run the cutters fast enough , 6mm carbide in the manual mill 1800 rpm eg flat out in the CNC mill 3900 , but note in the manual mill it’s conventional cutting in the CNC it’s climb milling

Try a slip of printer paper in the vice/vise jaws and the brass part you will get a better grip brass is slippery same with bronze that’s why we use it as a bearing
My aim is for a accurate part with a good finish

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #198 on: July 24, 2018, 11:04:37 PM »
Thanks Stuart!  :ThumbsUp:

I got the steam chest and steam chest cover done today.

I'm not sure I did things in the right order...but I started with machining the boss? end? thingie? that the valve rod goes through.
If I'd done the inside first, my concern was being able to hold onto something.

1st Pic shows the start of machining the thingie the valve rod goes through.
2nd Pic shows it 'done'. Still to do the drilling/reaming for the rod and threading of the nut.
3rd Pic shows the steam chest and cover. (That's the 2nd cover actually. When I was milling the recess...I went too far.)
4th Pic shows a partial assembly.

The steam chest is a tad too long towards the valve rod end. Not too bad. I believe it's because I measured for the mounting holes from the wrong reference.
Won't be noticeable once the model is put together. There'll be plenty of boo-boos to distract from.

Pay no attention to the socket head cap screws.

You might notice the green aluminum shims. "Rolling Rock". Used to be drink-able but I wish I'd gotten some Amstel Light.

Just a heads up...I may be temporarily closing shop before the engine is complete.
I've made one engine, started another, and pursued some other hobbies in my 'new' shop which has shown me that some changes/improvements are needed.
Most aggravating is the swarf. I can't allow anyone in the shop because I track it all over the place.
In addition, there's some wasted space and I'm thinking of an HO train system in a corner.
I'm thinking of getting the mill and lathe closer together and providing a 4' wall around them so I can contain the swarf to a smaller area.
The mill is against a wall so the 4' wall really applies to the lathe.
Changing shoes on entering/exiting.

You might wonder about the HO train system...
We (or I anyway) go from diapers to toys to girls...then from girls to toys to diapers.
I seem to be in entering the 2nd toy phase.  ;D

But going back to the thingie through which the valve rod goes. A question.
I drilled undersize and then reamed to 1/8". But I find that the 1/8" shaft has a little bit of wobble.
My suspicion (given the rod is 1/8") is that my reamer is a tad oversize.
In fact, I think my cheap reamer set is all over the place.
My question though...when do you ream undersize?
On the other hand...it could be that there's not a whole lot of steam chest to hold the rod for any real length.
I'm just wondering if what I'm seeing is 'normal'.
"To work. To work."

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #199 on: July 24, 2018, 11:12:36 PM »
Things are already looking up Zee. Just keep after it. Keep us informed on the HO trains too.

Bill

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #200 on: July 24, 2018, 11:18:25 PM »
I ain’t getting into the diaper regression  :facepalm:. The swarf is just part of it and I have seen this problem with several folks having a “really nice shop”. I wear one pair of  dedicated shoes, an apron, and designated shop britches. All of the above are either changed before I leave the shop or before I enter the house. Reamers are almost a black art. Some go over, some under, some as marked. You almost need to “sample one” before you use it. Another thing a lot fail to realize, is, never bottom a reamer. Once that flat end hits the bottom of the hole, it wants to start doing a “hoola hoop” move and will most always ream oversize. Ok I’ll shut up now  8)

Cletus

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #201 on: July 24, 2018, 11:27:43 PM »
For swarf, I have been in the habit of using the shop vac on the machine, bench, me, and floor after each session before walking away, having a door mat helps get stuff off the bottom of the shoes too. Fly cutters are the worst, really throwing swarf a long way.

A leather apron helps keep it out of your clothes too. I got one made for wood turners. Also tape a rectangle of thin plexi on the front of the mill to block the throwback. On the lathe, bent a piece 90 degrees and have a couple bolts on the cross sdlie to hold it.

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #202 on: July 24, 2018, 11:58:31 PM »
Another thing a lot fail to realize, is, never bottom a reamer. Once that flat end hits the bottom of the hole, it wants to start doing a “hoola hoop” move and will most always ream oversize.

That could have been it. Thanks Eric!  :ThumbsUp:

As for the swarf...not a problem for the shop. I do sweep and vacuum quite often as well. No...it's more that I'm thinking of making a shop within a shop so people can freely come in and enjoy the possibilities. (Actually...more so that my grand-daughter can come in...see some cool stuff...and get perhaps interested...or at least get some memories.)

It's all about allowing people to come in without worrying about stepping on bits of metal. (And I always remember that bit of brass that got stuck in my finger and produced a nice blister. Grand-daughter runs around here without shoes on.)

Keep in mind...my shop (such as it is) is almost 4 shops in one. Machining, modeling, electronics, and office.
"To work. To work."

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #203 on: July 25, 2018, 12:37:53 AM »
Just a thought: check with Otto, he seems to machine sans swarf  :lolb:

Cletus

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #204 on: July 25, 2018, 01:06:39 AM »
Smoke and mirrors my friends, smoke and mirrors. :lolb:

My mill and lathe are in the garage literally 6 feet from the door into the house and I manage. I do have a very understanding and tolerant wife though.
If I'm busy making a mess and she comes through I always stop what I'm doing and sweep a path through the swarf for her. :Lol:

Dave

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #205 on: July 25, 2018, 01:24:54 AM »
Just a thought: check with Otto, he seems to machine sans swarf  :lolb:

Good suggestion until I read this...

Smoke and mirrors my friends, smoke and mirrors. :lolb:

Sigh. It seems my list of members I can depend on...as compared to jokers...is in the noise.
All are honest, to be sure.
Honest jokers.  :lolb:

Keep in mind...one can depend on jokers too.
Some of them anyway.  ;D
"To work. To work."

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #206 on: July 25, 2018, 02:25:59 AM »
Reminded me of this Zee

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMN4JZ8crVY" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMN4JZ8crVY</a>

Bill

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #207 on: July 25, 2018, 03:23:03 AM »
Zee,
If you're worried about it being loose you can always complicate life more and bush it. :mischief: My shop is in the back of a detached garage, and complicates life if I need to make a software adjustment. Especially if I'm home alone due to the locked door to the house. My next project is to build a surround around the mill base. You wouldn't believe where those flycutter chips end up, but then again, yeah you would. The finished parts look good Zee.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #208 on: July 25, 2018, 03:52:12 AM »
Thank's Art.

Bill... :lolb: :lolb:
"To work. To work."

Offline gary.a.ayres

• Isle of Skye & sometimes France
« Reply #209 on: July 25, 2018, 06:14:46 AM »
I just kind of flap at myself with my hands to get the swarf off.
It's a primitive and fairly ineffective technique.
My lady is fairly tolerant, but she does tend to be unimpressed when swarf ends up in the bed. I tell her it's only aluminium, but that doesn't seem to help.
Am I doing something wrong...?

:)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal