Author Topic: Zee Needs Popcorn  (Read 57309 times)

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
Re: Zee Needs Popcorn
« Reply #180 on: July 23, 2018, 12:54:54 AM »
1. Prototype
2. Refine prototype
3. Finished part
  :lolb: :lolb:
That’s my sequence of operations

Cletus

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #181 on: July 23, 2018, 01:24:39 AM »
1. Prototype
2. Refine prototype
3. Finished part
  :lolb: :lolb:
That’s my sequence of operations

Yep. Pretty much sums things up.
I'm just glad it doesn't apply to all of my activities.  ;D
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #182 on: July 23, 2018, 10:29:08 PM »
So here's the cylinder mangled part...

1st pic shows the set up for milling the curved section of the cylinder.
2nd pic shows one end of the cylinder, as well as the ports. I'm thinking decent.
3rd pic shows the reason I considered going away for a while.

Regarding the 1st pic...any suggestions on how best to obtain a good finish? My concern is rounding the edges where the cylinder covers go. A stick wrapped in sandpaper?

Regarding the 3rd pic...as you can see, there are three decent grooves going from the bore to the outside. It's possible the cylinder cover goes into the bore enough to block them but I'm not convinced. If the cylinder is usable, I'd like to keep it. The view-able surfaces aren't too bad. But I suspect I have other problems with it (that is, I'll be surprised if the bore is square to the face the piston rod goes through...or even square to the base).

Any thoughts on what I can do to plug those grooves? I'm thinking some kind of putty (JB?) and sand it down.

At some point I'll likely try again. But there's an old Phillips' Rule that states, "If the 3rd attempt fails, consider another job.".

;D
"To work. To work."

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #183 on: July 23, 2018, 10:37:53 PM »
I would use files and abrasives to finish up that part. Then I'd very carefully figure out how to make both ends square with the bore. Then I would seriously consider filling any defects. I wouldn't trash the part, but go ahead and finish it.

If you make a spud to just fit the bore, leave a shoulder on it for the cylinder to bear against and leave the spud a bit short of the cylinder length so you can use a big washer and bolt to fix the cylinder on the spud. Then mount the spud in your four jaw, dialed in as close as you can.

Now you have complete control over that puppy!

Hang in there, Zee. The learning curve can be steep at times but the learning does continue!

:cheers:

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #184 on: July 23, 2018, 11:04:21 PM »
Like Pete said, files and/or sandpaper on the outside should do the trick. For the grooves, I would not depend on the cap lip to seal them, but a little automotive gasket goop should do the trick, then the paper gasket on top will have something to press against.

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #185 on: July 23, 2018, 11:07:49 PM »
But there's an old Phillips' Rule that states, "If the 3rd attempt fails, consider another job.".

;D

Absolutely not. No retreat - no surrender.

Finish it, it'll be an excellent engine.
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #186 on: July 23, 2018, 11:18:51 PM »
Thanks guys.

Your support means a lot.

I have to admit to a lot of frustration lately. In several areas of life.
Seems like few things are going well, or rather not meeting (baseless) expectations.

Don't get me wrong. None of this is 'serious'...it's just not what I expected and there's a bit too much of it.

And so I think about the silver lining...

a) Good friends
b) Got booze
c) Certainly T
d) Certainly kids
e) Got booze (did I say that already?)
f) Quit smoking! Finally! (Which BTW is part of the frustration. I enjoyed smoking.)
h) Got a shop!
i) Not worried about the alphabet.  ;D

You all know the drill...count your blessings.  ;D

"To work. To work."

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #187 on: July 23, 2018, 11:33:07 PM »
It definitely looks salvageable to me Zee. And yes it does get frustrating at times but keep that positive attitude and focus on the good things.

Bill

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #188 on: July 23, 2018, 11:49:31 PM »
Just hang in there cowboy. I get your “alphabet” (f is the one I really need to work on: may take up the pipe to get off the sticks. Dad says a pipe gives you time to think about things and he is like Clinton, he doesn’t inhale  8). I’m wondering if you just haven’t gotten the “feel” of your new machines yet. Maybe just take some time to make some tools or fixtures and “become one with the machine Grasshopper” I feel your pain. I made four attempts at just turning some 3/4” round stock into 1/2” hex today; and I was using a hex collet block. Sh$t just happens and since our paycheck doesn’t depend on it, I laugh and go onwards. Have a hoppy and think on it; we’re here with you

Cletus

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #189 on: July 23, 2018, 11:52:38 PM »
I’m wondering if you just haven’t gotten the “feel” of your new machines yet.

I don't doubt that's a part of it. I had the mini's for a some years...and enjoyed them.

I'm still angry at myself for selling them.  ;D

Thanks all.
"To work. To work."

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #190 on: July 24, 2018, 12:06:34 AM »
Zee--You got lucky--the visible screw up gets an end cap bolted to it to hide it. Nobody will ever know. If you feel that the grooves are too deep to seal the cylinder and cap properly--trowel on a bit of J.B. Weld. Lay a piece of #150 grit emery paper gritty side up on a nice clean cast iron table (I use the table on my vertical band-saw). Hold paper from moving with one hand. Place J.B. Welded end of cylinder against paper and go round and round (or back and forth) until you get clean brass everywhere but the grooves. As for how do you remove the ridges from the outside of the cylinder, do the same thing with the emery paper. Stroke the cylinder in a wiping motion at 90 degrees to the ridges left from machining. If you have a real big concern about how square the bore is to either end, you can cheat a bit by making your piston about .003" undersize and use a Viton ring on it. This will tolerate a bit of misalignment.---Brian

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #191 on: July 24, 2018, 01:01:49 AM »
If you have a real big concern about how square the bore is to either end, you can cheat a bit by making your piston about .003" undersize and use a Viton ring on it. This will tolerate a bit of misalignment.---Brian

Hee hee. You've been where I'm hoping to go...if I have to.  ;D
"To work. To work."

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #192 on: July 24, 2018, 03:19:33 AM »
Zee,
What Brian says. Put a c-clamp  on one side of the paper and a thumb on the other, sand as appropriate. Could you face some of the face off and make the end cap the same amount longer?
Art
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 11:54:30 AM by Art K »
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #193 on: July 24, 2018, 04:22:02 AM »
Hi Zee,
 Well BUGGER!
Keep at it you’ll beat it!

As a thought you can always put the cylinder on a nice fitting mandrel, check out Joe’s channel...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1RFTRzuAcU" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1RFTRzuAcU</a>

He has a pretty neat way of doing it. That way you can skim the ends square, & on the visually enhanced end, you can always turn it down until it looks boring like the other end & add a bit on to bring it back to size......

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #194 on: July 24, 2018, 07:40:02 AM »
Zee

DLTBGYD

Now a bit advice get a length of aluminium bar same size are the cylinder chop it up in a few blanks and practice

Use the same bits to practice making a cube test with a square see if it meets your standard
How did the groves on the end happen did it pull out of the vice ( more grunt on the vice ) did the cutter pull out

As from you programming past analyse the problem find the cause then apply a fix

Workshop rule number 1 ( I am dyslexic so letters are no good ) bozo the clown 🤡 will come out to play on the last op for a part

Don’t forget we all had to learn at first even if you were knee high to a grasshopper standing by your dad/mom at a lathe whatching them work , you will succeed I have no doubt about that ,above all enjoy it ,it’s a hobby after all it’s ment to relax you
My aim is for a accurate part with a good finish

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal