Author Topic: Zee Needs Popcorn  (Read 57376 times)

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: Zee Needs Popcorn
« Reply #90 on: July 17, 2018, 04:55:03 PM »
Zee, Stan has a recipe for getting rid of the red color. Shoot him a PM or email as I don't recall exactly what was in it.

Bill

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #91 on: July 17, 2018, 05:09:24 PM »
Hello Zee,

I use a product called Volcano which is an acid wash used for cleaning and brightening aluminum. I only use it one time to keep contamination to a minimum. Dilute one part to ten parts of water. Rinse your part really good after cleaning. It also works on stainless steel, brass, copper and silver. You can find it at most truck stops.

muleheadbrand.com   T.W.Pelton & Co.   870-535-1871

Hope this helps.
Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #92 on: July 17, 2018, 05:17:22 PM »
I have used a variety of things, Sparex 2 which is a jewelry product, great on brass and copper, vinegar, citric acid (dont know proper concentration, too much and it wont dissolve more), muriatic acid from home center. Even salt water. All work, speed of less acidic is slower but safer. Vinegar is cheap at grocery store and works, store in a plastic jar, cap to keep smell down, works quite well, and is safe if you get any on you. Soak in pickle then wire brush in running water. I use fine brass wire to suspend parts in pickle, easy to remove without tongs, can reuse many times. Color can be removed with sanding or just a scouring pad.

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #93 on: July 17, 2018, 05:17:41 PM »
Zee

Just put a teaspoon of domestic house hold bleach in your mix that will stop the bug growth I have a small tub of
‘Dip” made up now for two years still smells sweet

Well that’s what it sez on the tin( plastic container)

One tip I have passed this before if you dip steel fully immerse it or the surface of the liquid will etch a line that won’t buff out
My aim is for a accurate part with a good finish

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #94 on: July 17, 2018, 07:45:05 PM »
Thanks everyone. This was very helpful.

Much appreciated.  :ThumbsUp:
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #95 on: July 17, 2018, 07:55:27 PM »
Zee--I use a citric acid pickle--keep adding citric acid powder to a small container of water, stirring until it won't dissolve anymore. Leave your parts in for about an hour. Don't leave them in overnight, or they turn a really ugly black. Buy a small brass bristled brush (I have one that looks an awful lot like a tooth brush). Take parts out of pickle solution and scrub them well with the brass bristle brush under a stream of cold water from the tap. That will get rid of the red stuff.---Brian

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #96 on: July 17, 2018, 08:02:15 PM »
Somewhere I also heard that CLR (or equivalent) ( pot descaler) works good also. I’d also bet some of those pool chemicals, mixed properly, would work too. I’ve also heard that you can use 20:1 vodka and vermouth with a generous dash of olive juice; soak parts, discard parts, and drink solution  :naughty:.

Cletus

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #97 on: July 17, 2018, 08:36:04 PM »
Zee--Please be very careful of what chemicals you mix together to do your pickling. Some chemicals, particularly acids, react violently with each other and explode. I know someone who suffered severe chemical burns to their face and eyes trying to use two different chemicals mixed inadvertently when trying to clean a toilet bowl.--Yes I know---sounds funny, but the person was scarred for life.

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #98 on: July 17, 2018, 09:47:52 PM »
Zee--Please be very careful of what chemicals you mix together to do your pickling. Some chemicals, particularly acids, react violently with each other and explode.

Not to worry. I do not want to be a chemist. I'm keeping it simple and safe. It's not an area to experiment in.
Always a good point though.

Today was a disaster.
My attempt to bend the 1/4" brass rod for the spokes did not go well for several reasons but primarily for lack of experience.
I need to get a better burner and practice.
Or...I may just go for straight spokes.
"To work. To work."

Offline sbwhart

• Live Long and Prosper
« Reply #99 on: July 17, 2018, 10:05:10 PM »
Zee don’t get to hung up trying to bend the spokes keeping them straight would be perfectly acceptable no one would know any difference

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the way

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #100 on: July 17, 2018, 11:45:51 PM »
Thanks Stew. I'm going for the straight spokes.
I have to recognize that gaining experience is incremental and there's much yet to learn.

This engine is a step up for me in learning new methods and techniques.

1st pic is the hub with straight spokes. I'm fairly pleased with it. You can barely see a thread on one spoke...and only if you know what to look for.
All loctited up. In a couple of days I'll start trimming. I did put it on the lathe to see if the spokes are fairly in line. Not too bad.

2nd pic is the jig I'd made for the disaster-ous bending of the spokes. I had another plate bolted underneath as a stop for the dowels.
I started with a MAPP (fat boy) torch only to find it was empty.
Then I tried a propane torch (I use to make creme brule) which (as previously warned) was insufficient.
Either the 1st dowels were not close enough...or more likely...you have to have enough rod sticking past them in order to bend.
This proved a problem as I was trying to make that end of the rod to dimension (and threaded) and the dowels didn't hold it.
Actually...now that I think on it...I forgot to clamp the rod to one of the dowels.  :facepalm:
Bigger problem though, I think, was I didn't get the brass hot enough for long enough to anneal it.
That's where experience comes in. I was really afraid of melting the brass. (I did that once with aluminum.)

I blame 'gary' for making me post my disaster.  ;D His post made me feel bad that I wasn't more up front with my disaster.
It was really a series of bad/stupid errors.

In reality, I thank 'gary'. I'd rather expose myself  ;D if it helps someone else have more success.

I truly appreciate this forum. I know of others that would really knock one down.
"To work. To work."

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #101 on: July 17, 2018, 11:52:09 PM »
Confession is good for the soul, or so I’ve been told  :lolb:. Sputnik looks really good and should work great in the flywheel. I’m digging your barstock build as I trudge through my casting build.

Cletus

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #102 on: July 18, 2018, 12:18:24 AM »
Looks like pretty thick brass ti bend, especially in such a short spoke.

Only seeing one picture, nothing with jig...

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #103 on: July 18, 2018, 12:23:01 AM »
Looks like pretty thick brass ti bend, especially in such a short spoke.

Only seeing one picture, nothing with jig...

Correct.

Oops. Not sure why the 2nd pic didn't take.
"To work. To work."

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #104 on: July 18, 2018, 12:34:49 AM »
The end result looks great Zee. Those are short and thick pieces to bend, so it's easy to understand the difficulty. Straight looks just fine though.

Bill

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal