Author Topic: Zee Needs Popcorn  (Read 57391 times)

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
Re: Zee Needs Popcorn
« Reply #75 on: July 15, 2018, 09:39:50 PM »
I'm setting here chuckling.--Sure makes your old heart go pitter-patter, doesn't it. You lived through it--Bet ya won't do that again.---Brian

Bet I will.  :-[
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #76 on: July 15, 2018, 09:41:34 PM »
I'm setting here chuckling.--Sure makes your old heart go pitter-patter, doesn't it. You lived through it--Bet ya won't do that again.---Brian

Bet I will.  :-[
You are okay, the boring bit is toast, how is the chuck?

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #77 on: July 15, 2018, 10:00:19 PM »

Chuck jaws seem okay. They were the reverse jaws. (I've seldom used reverse jaws.)
Not as bad as picture may indicate.
Middle jaw took the brunt of it.

Not knowing much about this...it doesn't look like the area that got hit is used.
The flats above those areas is what a part would be held against.
"To work. To work."

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #78 on: July 15, 2018, 10:12:56 PM »
Better the boring bar or chuck jaws than fingers or body parts though.  Glad it wasn't worse zee.

Bill

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #79 on: July 15, 2018, 11:10:09 PM »
Aw heck, Zee, ya hardly skinned it! You're gonna have to do better than that if you want a new chuck.... :lolb:

Gettin' there....

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #80 on: July 15, 2018, 11:15:46 PM »

Chuck jaws seem okay. They were the reverse jaws. (I've seldom used reverse jaws.)
Not as bad as picture may indicate.
Middle jaw took the brunt of it.

Not knowing much about this...it doesn't look like the area that got hit is used.
The flats above those areas is what a part would be held against.

You're right Zee....no real harm done I think....stone the marks out if it will make you feel better, but we've all done it at least a few times....happens

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #81 on: July 16, 2018, 12:19:12 AM »
Oh I'm not feeling bad about it. Slightly stupid perhaps.  ;D
Minor mishap but worth posting in hopes it helps others.

Doesn't compare at all to the other (non-machining related) stupid I executed with aplomb today.  :lolb:

Was working on a model and glued a part in before realizing another part needed to be glued in first.  :facepalm:
Actually, before 34 parts needed to be glued in first. 34? Yes. All oars.  :cussing:

That model is now destined for air-brushing practice. (And 50 years ago...BB gun practice.)
"To work. To work."

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #82 on: July 16, 2018, 12:23:19 AM »
Hmmmmm...we used firecrackers....airbtush practice is probably safer though  :lolb:

Bill

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #83 on: July 16, 2018, 12:29:37 AM »
Hmmmmm...we used firecrackers....airbtush practice is probably safer though  :lolb:

As did I.  ;D The best one I did was black cats wrapped in foil and filled with flour.
One in the hull...one in the turret.
The hull went off first. The turret went up 15 ft into the air and then went off.

I won't mention what happened to King Kong, SpiderMan, and numerous vehicles and ships.

A 22 and a bow and arrow were sometimes in play.

Looking back on all that...a) Boy was I stupid (not to mention those things are worth money) and b) Somehow came out unscathed and c) Boy was I stupid.

I lived on the outskirts of town with a creek and a nice big hill behind it. Paradise for a boy.
"To work. To work."

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #84 on: July 16, 2018, 12:34:55 AM »

Was working on a model and glued a part in before realizing another part needed to be glued in first.  :facepalm:
Actually, before 34 parts needed to be glued in first. 34? Yes. All oars.  :cussing:

That model is now destined for air-brushing practice. (And 50 years ago...BB gun practice.)

Sorry to hear that - but interested to hear and see more of your other model making hobby - I do a bit of that as well. Subject for another thread perhaps.
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #85 on: July 16, 2018, 01:06:25 AM »
5th pic shows the reason for the underwear change. I had a mechanical stop but at some point, for some reason, I moved the compound and forget to reset the stop. Boring bar went in far enough for the chuck to catch it.

Though some of us won't admit it, we've all heard those crunching, screeching, loud BANG noises.  Some of us  :-X still have nightmares about them.
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #86 on: July 16, 2018, 01:30:04 AM »
5th pic shows the reason for the underwear change. I had a mechanical stop but at some point, for some reason, I moved the compound and forget to reset the stop. Boring bar went in far enough for the chuck to catch it.

Though some of us won't admit it, we've all heard those crunching, screeching, loud BANG noises.  Some of us  :-X still have nightmares about them.

Well that's just it. I remember when I started this hobby...rather, when I fell upon this forum...if anyone thinks that even the 'experts' don't have clinching moments, then they are mistaken. That's a major reason why I like this forum. Even the experienced will point out their mistakes, what to look for, how to avoid, etc. Or more importantly...point out the mistakes they make.

It's very much an educational/learning forum. That's why I'm here.

Stuart...I've been wanting to build a trireme. I've been playing with some steppers motors...4-bar linkages...and got a model to study. It may not go anywhere. But, as I've said before, I'm a road guy...not a destination guy. So I play. But tomorrow a squirrel may appear.  ;D

It's all about enjoying life...whatever way works. I do not worry about judgments. For example..."but did you finish it"? Define 'it'!
"To work. To work."

Offline sbwhart

• Live Long and Prosper
« Reply #87 on: July 16, 2018, 06:37:05 AM »

The spokes are 1/4" brass rod that will be annealed and bent. According to the plans, you take a datum off a bend, cut one end of the spoke to length, and thread it.
I'm not sure how to go about cutting and threading a bent piece of rod.
When I make the bending jig, I'm thinking of placing a mechanical stop for that end. I would thread the end first and then bend it. To prevent the threads from getting damaged I would put a nut on and clamp on that when bending.

Thoughts?

That,s the way to do it Zee thread first bend second  :ThumbsUp: if the thread get marked you can always run the die down again to clean it up.

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the way

Offline gunna

• Melbourne, Oz.
« Reply #88 on: July 17, 2018, 07:16:49 AM »
My old shop teacher always claimed that the only reason carbide tipped tools were invented was so that we students could take bigger pieces out of the chuck jaws. :old:

Ian.

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #89 on: July 17, 2018, 04:26:49 PM »
It's been a long time since I've done any pickling (other than myself).
A bit of research has led me to the following and I'd appreciate any thoughts...

I know there are different pickles, citric acid, sulphuric acid, vinegar, etc.

I intend to use citric acid.

1) Can be stored in a plastic container. I'm not sure if the type of plastic matters. I'd have a lid.
2) Probably better to start with a weak solution. I'm thinking one teaspoon per 8 oz water. (Very high concentrations requires heating.)
3) I'm not sure how long a batch lasts. Seems I recall people tossing it when it got a pretty funky smell.
4) Seems I recall people talking about the redness of the part after pickling. I can't recall what they did to reduce that.
5) Some people suggest correction fluid as a solder dam but I seem to recall trouble getting it off.

Thanks.
"To work. To work."

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal