Author Topic: Zee Needs Popcorn  (Read 57399 times)

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
Re: Zee Needs Popcorn
« Reply #60 on: July 09, 2018, 10:39:16 PM »
I'm going to order the PMR solder set. In the meantime I worked on the pedestal for the cylinder.

According to the drawings, the pedestal has straight, slanted corners. In Stews article though, he used a ball end mill and gave some detail.
To put the corners in though requires a bit larger piece of stock (that I didn't think I had) and I'd already cut what I was going to use.
So I did a similar thing but the base is not as splayed out as Stew's. I'm okay with that.

1st pic shows machining the sides (i.e. corners). This was not the way I wanted to do it but I couldn't fit the part into the vise. It was either too deep or not in at all.
All my parallels are in multiples of 1/8. It didn't occur to me until after I'd started that I could have made a square shim or even used some scrap plate I had.

So I had to make several passes back and forth in order to get a fairly flat surface until the curve started.

It went okay though. A bit of filing and sanding worked pretty well.

2nd pic shows the finished pedestal. It could use some more sanding and I'm hoping to paint it.

Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #61 on: July 09, 2018, 11:47:35 PM »
Came out looking good!
 :popcorn:   (seems recursive, eating popcorn while watching a popcorn engine...)

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #62 on: July 10, 2018, 12:29:24 AM »
Looking good Zee. I have a similar tilt-a-whirl vice. Not the most accurate vice in the world, because the moveable jaw kicks up a bit, but really great for milling on an angle.---Brian

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #63 on: July 10, 2018, 01:36:04 AM »
Looking good zee. Keep it up and you'll have an engine here before long.

Bill

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #64 on: July 11, 2018, 02:40:01 AM »
looking good Zee.  :popcorn:
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #65 on: July 11, 2018, 03:51:44 AM »
It's a really excellent engine - top work too, very impressive. I'm looking forward to the finished article.
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #66 on: July 11, 2018, 05:30:21 AM »
Good start Zee - keep it coming :ThumbsUp:

Tug
"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Offline kvom

« Reply #67 on: July 11, 2018, 12:37:39 PM »
Zee made a part?  And only 66 replies in the thread?  Amazing!   :popcorn: :stir:

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #68 on: July 11, 2018, 12:48:57 PM »
He’s off and running; and with a nice foundation to build on at that. Way to go Zee.

Cletus

Offline kvom

« Reply #69 on: July 12, 2018, 02:41:06 AM »
Careful Cletus, he's gaining on you.   ;D

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #70 on: July 12, 2018, 09:00:00 AM »
Glad to see you are underway  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp: I will be interested to see how you get on with the manifold  :ThumbsUp:  :wine1:
Best regards

Roger

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #71 on: July 15, 2018, 09:16:01 PM »
Zee made a part?  And only 66 replies in the thread?  Amazing!   :popcorn: :stir:

:cussing:

Actually, you are wrong my friend.  ;D I made the bits to make a part. When the solder/flux arrives, we'll see if a part can be made.
"To work. To work."

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #72 on: July 15, 2018, 09:24:19 PM »
I've started on the flywheel. (Again, just a bit...not a part.)
It's composed of a rim, a hub, and 6 bent spokes. All brass.

I made the rim out of 1/2" plate.
I should have hacked the corners off but didn't.

1st pic shows the corners getting rounded off. The plate is held by a long bolt (the head is behind the jaws).

2nd pic shows the wheel all rounded. Slightly larger than finished diameter (I'll have more to say about that later).

3rd pic I went to reverse jaws, bored out the rim and faced one side. I didn't bother with shims to hold because I expect (hope) to machine to diameter later.
It was during this operation I had to change clothes.  :facepalm:

4th pic I went back to the standard jaws, held with shims, and faced the other side.

5th pic shows the reason for the underwear change. I had a mechanical stop but at some point, for some reason, I moved the compound and forget to reset the stop. Boring bar went in far enough for the chuck to catch it.
"To work. To work."

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #73 on: July 15, 2018, 09:33:30 PM »
I'm setting here chuckling.--Sure makes your old heart go pitter-patter, doesn't it. You lived through it--Bet ya won't do that again.---Brian

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #74 on: July 15, 2018, 09:39:08 PM »
This is the start of the flywheel hub.

I used a clamp as a stop. In the picture you'll see that the holes are tapped.

The idea (from the plans) is to thread the spokes and loctite them in.

The reason why the hub is still on its parent stock is, after the spokes are installed, the whole thing is put in the lathe and the spokes turned down to the inside diameter of the flywheel. The flywheel is then loctited on.

The spokes are 1/4" brass rod that will be annealed and bent. According to the plans, you take a datum off a bend, cut one end of the spoke to length, and thread it.
I'm not sure how to go about cutting and threading a bent piece of rod.
When I make the bending jig, I'm thinking of placing a mechanical stop for that end. I would thread the end first and then bend it. To prevent the threads from getting damaged I would put a nut on and clamp on that when bending.

Thoughts?

Once everything is put together then back to the lathe to trim and true the outside of the rim. Face the sides if required. That brings another concern because I have to rely on the loctite holding the spokes to the rim.

BTW In Stews article, the hub is turned down on the lathe and then transferred to a spindexer to drill/tap the holes. i.e. an example of a part being left in the chuck and being transferred. In my case, I have neither a suitable chuck nor a spindexer plate to hold the chuck. Should be okay.
"To work. To work."

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal