Author Topic: Zee Needs Popcorn  (Read 57295 times)

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
Re: Zee Needs Popcorn
« Reply #555 on: October 29, 2018, 12:29:07 AM »
Zee,
Glad to hear that you are back. Fern & I did our own little trip, Not nearly a extensive as yours, but we did make it from WI to Ames IA. celebrating our 20th anniversary. While on the Boone & Scenic Valley Railway's dinner train we saw that renewing of faith in America as a young couple proposed beside me.

Now I am just hoping this bugger wasn't ransacking your shop while you were out, I'm just in the photo for scale, a quarter won't show up with this guy.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #556 on: October 29, 2018, 12:47:28 AM »
Wow, I want the shop that guy goes with!!

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #557 on: October 29, 2018, 12:48:54 AM »
 :lolb: :lolb: :lolb:
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #558 on: October 29, 2018, 02:34:15 AM »
 :o     I like!!

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #559 on: October 29, 2018, 01:45:39 PM »
but we did make it from WI to Ames IA.

I hope you went to The Mucky Duck pub for fish and chips. Best and most authentic fish and chips in the states. Heartily recommended.
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #560 on: October 29, 2018, 09:35:20 PM »
Thanks everyone for the welcome back.

No joy in getting my data off the hard drive. My buddy says the electronics is toast.
That's four months of photos, CAD, financial, etc. gone.

I can recreate most of the CAD and financial stuff. The photos are a loss though (other than what I posted here).
But I don't remember what many of the checks/charges in the finances were for.

I should come clean here and confess my sin...er, sins...

Normally, my laptop sits on top of a stand on my desk. Somewhat safer when drinks are spilled.
On vacation however, the laptop was simply on a table. A table that was already loaded such that little space was available.
Too little space for my usual vodka on ice.
I don't know what my laptop prefers, but it isn't vodka. Makes me wonder what I'm doing to myself.

Now I would have sworn I had backed up before taking the trip. A smart thing to do...yes?
But no...a backup doesn't exist. Worse...I was apparently lax in my monthly backup since April.
I'm thinking I was having too much fun being retired.
I had hoped that perhaps the backup went into a sub-folder but no. If I did back it up...it got backed up into the trash which is just as effective as not backing up at all.

A few months into the future the loss will all be forgotten. (Sigh...I just remembered all of the bookmarks I've lost too.)

Gotta ask though...does anyone think there's any chance of retrieving the data? I know there are services that might do that but it's not worth the bucks.
I'm wondering if the electronics can be replaced (although it doesn't look like it).

No ranting here...just expressing my sadness. Thanks.

You all should be sad as well. In my hard drive was the answer to life, the universe, and everything but I don't recall what it was.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #561 on: October 29, 2018, 09:45:57 PM »
Zee, what a bummer. Go get you a 500 GB or 1 TB portable hard drive. They are cheap! Then backup to that. You can probably get most of your engine/ shop pics from the forum.

Bill

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #562 on: October 29, 2018, 10:18:52 PM »
Yikes.

A few disk crashes at work taught me the value of regular backups. When corporate took over all the IT functions and gave them to a new department, all was supposed to be handled for us. One time a server flamed out, and it turns out the backups had not run for months. The IT ninnies knew but couldn't figure out how to schedule them, never told anyone. Our software team lost two months of change history on a huge firmware project, had to recreate current state from what was on the lab machines. Fortunately for me, I had just transferred from printers to cameras, so didn't have the direct pain.
Bill is right, a portable terabyte drive is very cheap now, couple of those make easy backups of whole machines and can be locked away safe in a firesafe.

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #563 on: October 29, 2018, 10:53:04 PM »
SSD is the way to go. No platters, no motors, no R/W  heads, nothing moves. They are available to fit most formats.

Pete
Retired, finally!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #564 on: October 29, 2018, 10:56:33 PM »
They are quite good, but dont think purely solid state devices cannot ever fail. They can and do. Backups are still needed!

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #565 on: October 29, 2018, 10:59:46 PM »
Yeah, I don't think they like vodka either  :lolb:

Bill

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #566 on: October 29, 2018, 11:46:39 PM »
SSDs are much more reliable. But like every thing man makes, it fails eventually.

Pete
Retired, finally!

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #567 on: October 30, 2018, 05:04:40 AM »
True, SSDs are pretty reliable, but so is spinning media.  And for backup, its hard to justify the additional cost of an SSD.  Might as well get 10x the space for 1/10th the cost and go with a USB drive.  I have a couple of 5TB drives I use for backup.  They were a around $150 at the time I got them and they've served well for several years now.  I have a program that does weekly incremental backups onto the USB drives while I sleep.

Kim

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #568 on: October 30, 2018, 07:22:20 AM »
The old saying comes to mind 
‘There are those that backup data and those that will “

I have a friend that will not do any backups but comes round for help when he loose data
My aim is for a accurate part with a good finish

Offline kvom

« Reply #569 on: October 30, 2018, 09:48:20 AM »
My desktop has RAID disks.  Pretty cheap insurance, but wouldn't work for a laptop.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal