Author Topic: Double acting Double cylinder Oscillator  (Read 30263 times)

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
Re: Double acting Double cylinder Oscillator
« Reply #240 on: July 09, 2018, 07:24:23 PM »
If anybody would like to build that crazy joint, I have a complete set of drawings for sale for it. Contact me at brupnow@rogers.com

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #241 on: July 09, 2018, 07:27:29 PM »
Great fun seeing the engine drive that - very smooth, very intriguing. Cheers!
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #242 on: July 09, 2018, 07:29:56 PM »
Excellent! Very nice runner, and that crazy joint is a fun thing, they have a full size one at the steam show near here in August, but its not connected to the engines near it, just on a handwheel.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #243 on: July 09, 2018, 11:33:09 PM »
I've had a few questions about the "crazy joint". I modelled it in 3D, then animated it. It's kind of hard to get your head around it even when you see it in operation. And--whatever camera effect makes the stage coach wheels revolve backwards is still in play. I would have thought that would be overcome by now, but apparently it hasn't.----Brian
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B72Y4wnqqJE" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B72Y4wnqqJE</a>

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #244 on: July 12, 2018, 04:25:37 PM »
A heads up to all of you who are currently building this engine from my plans. When I designed the pulley which fits over the crank arm, I put a set screw in it, but failed to realize that with the pulley in place there was no way to access the set screw in the crank arm. So, a clearance hole has been added to the pulley to allow access to the crank arm set screw.---Brian

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #245 on: July 22, 2018, 04:10:28 PM »
I have a three ball governor that I designed about three years ago. At the time I designed it, I was looking for a way that I could change the rpm setting while the governor was working, not setting still. I was successful in doing that, by adding a pair of tension springs to the output lever to counteract the compression spring on the main post. Since this type of governor will work in either direction, I may try marrying it to the double oscillator engine.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #246 on: July 23, 2018, 07:04:02 PM »
I have just spent much of the morning remaking a 3d model of the three ball governor. I don't know how it happened, but I had completely lost my original SolidWorks files on this governor. So---It was a matter of chasing down existing .pdf files, printing out some old drawings I had posted about 8 years ago on the forum, and measuring my existing governor. I'm not totally finished yet, as I have to add in the steam control valve, but I'm a lot closer now than I was early this morning.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #247 on: July 23, 2018, 09:05:53 PM »
Here we go. A few compromises here, as I am working with an existing governor. The governor in it's current state as shown in the earlier photograph is not set up for a steam valve. I have to remove the adjusting counter-springs and add on the steam valve components.

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #248 on: July 23, 2018, 10:29:15 PM »
Very interesting configuration, Brian. It would be neat to re-work the existing gov to add the steam valve and then put it to the test!

:cheers:

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #249 on: July 23, 2018, 11:52:39 PM »
Okay--Going to look sorta/kinda like this. I'm a bit surprised--the scale doesn't look all that bad, considering the oscillator and the governor were built a few years apart. If I go ahead and do this I may have to move the dark blue steam inlet/outlets around a bit on the governor.

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #250 on: July 24, 2018, 01:14:10 AM »
That looks real good.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #251 on: July 24, 2018, 04:48:01 PM »
This morning was time to do some "real world" tests of the governor, to determine what the maximum rpm needed to be for the stem-post to turn at, in order to get full travel of the pivoting lever arm which controls the steam valve. The video explains this as I drive the governor through it's full range of movement.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0Sald9f5Es" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0Sald9f5Es</a>

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #252 on: July 24, 2018, 04:59:35 PM »
Very interesting to see, thanks!

I always thought that the governor had to be vertical, but you ran it horizontal. Is the spring you used strong enough to make gravity irrelevant for the movement? I never knew that springs were used in them, my brain needs a rethink...

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #253 on: July 24, 2018, 05:03:43 PM »
That type of governor will run either vertical or horizontal. The spring negates any effect that gravity would have.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #254 on: July 24, 2018, 07:45:13 PM »
In order to mount and drive the governor at the right speed, I will have to use a "bend pulley" which mounts to the side of the main frame with a shoulder bolt. This will keep everything (the o-ring drive belt) from interfering with the oscillating cylinder.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal