Author Topic: Double acting Double cylinder Oscillator  (Read 30271 times)

Offline NickG

• Global Moderator
Re: Double acting Double cylinder Oscillator
« Reply #225 on: June 19, 2018, 09:25:25 PM »
Thanks, I agree. That might be the way forward, just try and machine one, as the first part - if it fails, throw it in the bin and start from scratch with no compromises!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #226 on: June 19, 2018, 10:12:44 PM »
A word of caution here---People are buying plan sets for this engine, and I have been explaining to them that in it's current state there is really no good way to have a power take off from it to run anything. If people want to use a belt drive to power something using this engine, then three parts have to change. The crankshaft, spacer angle, and manifold all have to be 1/2" longer. This allows room for a 1/2" wide pulley to set beside the flywheel so the engine can be used as a power source to drive a belt. Tomorrow I will add drawings for these three items to the design package.---Brian Rupnow

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #227 on: June 20, 2018, 12:03:38 AM »
And if you were wondering---this is the engine with the power take-off modification. Basically, what it means is that the two angles which make up the main frame of the engine are 1/2" farther apart. This gives room for the red, 1/2" wide power take off pulley.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #228 on: June 20, 2018, 07:40:55 AM »
Why not just specify a flywheel cut from steel or Cast Iron bar then it can be made narrower than your lightweight alloy one and there will be room for a pully though it still needs the ending stripping to fit belts.

Or as your red pully is no wider than the boss on the crank arms why not change one crank arm to a disc, cut the belt groove into it and just drill for the crank pin. Or just make the light green crank boss a larger diameter. That way you only need to undo the crank pin to get a belt on and off.

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #229 on: June 20, 2018, 12:07:59 PM »
I think it's better just left as display engine rather than one to do work. The design as it stands doesn't lend itself to belt driving so any modifications are likely to detract from the appearance.

It's not really practical to strip the engine down to change belts and once one is fitted it won't look right unless it is driving something.

The idea of adding the pulley will mean the flywheel is no longer central in the gap and spoil the symmetry.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #230 on: June 20, 2018, 02:09:33 PM »
Yes, but the straight crankshaft pulls straight out of the engine. Just loosen of the set-screws in the crankshaft  and it pulls straight out of the engine allowing a belt to be installed. It takes about 10 minutes. The engine was never designed to drive anything. It was built for the beauty of the engine itself. I am just reacting to customers requests.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #231 on: June 20, 2018, 02:14:13 PM »
I have been asked by a forum member to post a video of the engine running with the new "Leakproof" reversing valve design. Here ya go---
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgzw0y9IZes" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgzw0y9IZes</a>

Offline NickG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #232 on: June 20, 2018, 02:29:39 PM »
Spot on Brian, no leaks, same in either direction and the exhaust beat is back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #233 on: June 20, 2018, 06:07:13 PM »
Oh my god---A GIANT BRAIN FART!!!!! I spent a goodly share of yesterday designing all of the components required to widen the engine and  add a take off pulley beside the flywheel. Got up this morning and looked at it and thought "I could just put the pulley on the crank arm without changing anything else". Musta been that funny stuff I was smoking yesterday---

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #234 on: June 20, 2018, 07:31:16 PM »
You sure you did not read my suggestion to do that first?  ;)

"Or as your red pully is no wider than the boss on the crank arms why not change one crank arm to a disc, cut the belt groove into it and just drill for the crank pin. Or just make the light green crank boss a larger diameter. That way you only need to undo the crank pin to get a belt on and off."

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #235 on: June 20, 2018, 07:59:56 PM »
Jason--Honestly, I didn't read that. It just struck me like a bolt out of the blue this morning, and of course I felt like a complete idiot. Fortunately, any of the plans I have sold so far did not include all of the changes I dreamed up yesterday. I only wasted my time, and right now time is something I have way too much of. I do appreciate the picture you posted of the spring between the hex nut and the reversing disc.---Brian

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #236 on: June 21, 2018, 11:24:32 PM »
Nice addition to your engine.  Looks like a neat little valve that works great!  :ThumbsUp:
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #237 on: June 21, 2018, 11:53:06 PM »
Thanks Craig--I am impressed by how well it works. and it is one more thing to add to my stable of facts about "little engines".---Brian

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #238 on: June 22, 2018, 01:22:24 AM »
Great addition to an already nice design Brian. Well done !!

Bill

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #239 on: July 07, 2018, 08:43:01 PM »
Today I was bored, so I decided to go back and address the subject of "running something" with my oscillating engine. I took 20 minutes to machine a pulley and added it to the crank arm on one side, then set up my "Crazy Joint" for a demo video.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNwpUGp89SE" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNwpUGp89SE</a>

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal