Author Topic: I wanted a Stuart 5A  (Read 1906 times)

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
I wanted a Stuart 5A
« on: May 19, 2018, 12:00:34 AM »
I have just finished watching a rebuild of a Stuart 5A and much like the rebuild of the Stuart Victoria, it kinda got me wanting one. As mentioned in another post, I really didn’t feel like that the Victoria was priced too badly, however, Good Lord in Heaven, the price of the 5A was “take a deep breath” priced. I really would like to build a nice size vertical. So, to add to the Wahl Twin and  the Cretors Popcorn castings, I let the AMEX moths out and purchased the PM #4

https://www.pmmodelengines.com/shop/steam/steam-engine-4/. I really would like to build a Stuart model just to be “part of the club” , but, I just wasn’t ready for over a $1k set of castings. As you can see, this is about a third the price and a similar engine.  Piccys when the castings arrive for fondling  8)

Cletus
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 12:17:09 AM by Jo »

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Re: I wanted a Stuart 5A
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2018, 12:16:56 AM »
I really would like to build a Stuart model just to be “part of the club” , but, I just wasn’t ready for over a $1k set of castings. As you can see, this is about a third the price and a similar engine.  Piccys when the castings arrive for fondling  8)

:o I hadn't looked at the price of the castings when I acquired mine  :embarassed:

Looking forward to seeing your build  8) Are you going to put reversing gear on it?  :mischief:

Jo

P.S. In the UK Blackgates do the much more reasonably priced 2" bore/stroke Clarkson vertical steam engine, which is much cheaper than the Stuart engine  ;)
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2018, 12:50:08 AM »
I though you had built that one Cletus. Thinking back though it was the horizontal version of similar size.  Well you got that Monarch now so this set should be perfect for it. Also looking forward to the build. I am looking forward tot he Cretors vertical too, so you can show me how to do it. That was the last castings I bought though, recent moths have been spent on upgrading all my Foredom stuff.

Bill

Offline jeff l

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2018, 01:31:33 AM »
Cletus , I have a  old stock set of 5-A castings that I would be willing to let go, it's been so long since I looked at them so I'm not sure if I also have the reverse gear castings  .
If you are interested I'll dig them out and take a look  .Jeff

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2018, 02:38:18 PM »
Whiskey - do you want to build a Stuart Model 'warts and all' ie must be from their castings or do you just want to build a 'Stuart Model' per se?

The Victoria could so easily be built from scratch - even the flywheel would be easy to fabricate. If so let me know and I'm sure I can help you with the 'required info'  ;)

Sounds like 'jeff' I has a better offer but mine's there for the asking too

Best - Ol Tug

"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2018, 07:48:29 PM »
Thanks guys for popping in. I can say one thing for PM, they are quick. I placed the order on the 17th and when I arrived home a short while ago, the castings had arrived  :cartwheel:. Jo, I don’t know if PM do a reversing gear kit for this one and I’m certainly not a good enough engineer to cobble one up; but, it is something to think about. Yeah Bill, it was the horizontal I built; thought the vertical would be a nice compliment. Tug, well er, well um, well, yeah, I guess I just want to be able to say “that there engine wuz built from cast’ns from alway acrosst the big pond, over there in the UK. From my deductions on this forum, it seems as if the “new Stuart” castings are know to be a little skimpy on material to work with: is this correct? I guess being a Harley enthusiast, you get used to the “warts and all “ and write it off to being the “charm” of the brand  :facepalm:. Which leads me to Jeff’s offer as they are older castings. Yes Jeff, I am definitely possibly interested :Jester:  I may have used up my casting allowance for a bit  8), but shoot me a PM and we’ll see if we can get together. Now I have a big decision as what to start on. I’ve built a couple of steam engines and successfully built a running I/C hit and miss. I am leaning towards taking on something as completely foreign as one of those “thumb busting diesels” . I have a good set of drawings and a very nice chap has offered all the technical assistance I should require. Think I’ll have a  :DrinkPint: and think on it  :thinking:. Y’all come see us.

Cletus

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2018, 08:01:23 PM »
Jo, I don’t know if PM do a reversing gear kit for this one and I’m certainly not a good enough engineer to cobble one up; but, it is something to think about.

Reversing gear should be easy enough to design  ;)

I may have used up my casting allowance for a bit

What's this allowance stuff about :headscratch:

Life would be boring without new opportunities..new castings to fondle :mischief:

Jo
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 07:09:18 AM by Jo »
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2018, 08:13:36 PM »
Jo, when the time comes I’ll let you knock me up the drawings for the reversing gear. As far as the allowance comment, it’s the way we old boys over here start a “negotiation”  :LittleDevil:.

Big E

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2018, 08:53:53 PM »
As Jo says the Large Clarkson vertical is quite a nice looking engine and about 1/3rd the cost of the 5A and that includes the reversing gear, this is quite a nice example but a bit too polished up for my liking. I think she likes it as there are a lot of studs ;)

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EOEjnqdexs" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EOEjnqdexs</a>

Offline Dan Rowe

• Dripping Springs TX USA
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2018, 09:44:56 PM »
Cletus, if you need the drawings for a 5A reverser I have a Cygnet which is the marine version of the 5A so the drawings are in my stack.

Dan
ShaylocoDan

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal