Author Topic: HYBRID ARBOR-PULLEY  (Read 1782 times)

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
HYBRID ARBOR-PULLEY
« on: May 16, 2018, 06:07:28 PM »
I have a 1/2 horsepower 1750 rpm motor on my main workbench out in the garage that is primarily used to "run in" small engines to loosen them up. I want an arbor to mount my different polishing buffs on. I don't like polishing in my lathe because it makes such a mess. I don't want to be constantly changing the pulley for a shaft mounted arbor because it gnarls up the motor shaft. LIGHTBUULB!!!--Make a threaded arbor that has the pulley permanently mounted to it.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: HYBRID ARBOR-PULLEY
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 07:41:30 PM »
Looks good. For my polish wheel fitted an arbor on an old furnace motor bolted to a board.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2018, 09:38:44 PM »
Prior to building this thing I ran my buffs in the lathe at about 500 rpm. This should be a big improvement at 1750 rpm. I won't have buffs on there when I'm using the v-pulley to break in an engine. Conversely, I won't have the v-belt on there when I am buffing something. Think about it--For the last 8 years I've been spinning those buffs about 2" from the spinning jaws on the lathe chuck, with a half inch bolt and nut making my arbor. This was a nice little project, based 40% on need and 60% to give me something to do this afternoon.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2018, 10:31:58 PM »
Should be a lot safer this way, without the chuck jaws nearby to bust a knuckle. Nice!

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2018, 02:51:34 PM »
Not out of any undue considerations of my fingers, but in order to get the correct ratio I machined a smaller v-pulley from aluminum and mounted it on my arbour. The original pulley which I showed on the arbour was 3.5" diameter. The new one is 2 1/2" diameter, which restores the ratio I wanted and does get the pulley a little farther away from my fingers if I want to polish something on the buff.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal