Author Topic: Stuart Victoria help needed  (Read 3446 times)

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
Stuart Victoria help needed
« on: May 15, 2018, 05:06:13 PM »
Hello guys - I'm really hoping someone can help me here

I visited a good friend this morning - the one who helped me install my mill a while back. Sadly he has not long with us due to the dreaded PC. He bought many years ago an old Stuart Victoria that is, lets say, built in a rather mediocre fashion that he would like to pass on to his son in law. It is not in running order though turns over well enough and despite some serious play in the valve linkage looks as if it should. He has asked me if I could get it running for him. I've taken a look - not good ::) but I'll try my best.

Typically I disposed of my well faded but readable, Victoria drawings, no more than a month ago on a clear up.

Before I make a calculated guess at what it should be can anyone tell me the following three things

Dimensions of the porting in the valve face - width of slots and spacing (I know they are cast in but the desired dimension as drawn)

The dimension of the cavity in the valve face fore and aft and the dimension of the valve face overall fore and aft

If anyone has a set of these drawings and could just post these dims I really would appreciate it.

Regards - Tug

PS I really hate to say this but time is of the essence - there's not long to get this done if you see what I mean :(
"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
Re: Stuart Victoria help needed
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2018, 05:15:08 PM »
Ramon, I can help you out with the Beam drawings which like several of the engines share the same cylinder etc so that will hopefully do you unless you get a better offer. Will e-mail them to you.

J

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2018, 05:32:30 PM »
Thanks Jason but just to say - all sorted  :ThumbsUp:

Remembered after posting a friend had built one years ago so a call later I have all the info - thanks again

Ramon

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2018, 07:48:25 PM »
Hi Tug,

Cylinder and valve as requested..

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2018, 07:55:47 PM »
Sounds like you have it sorted  :ThumbsUp:. Now, here’s what is “creepy” . I just started watching at about 3:00am this morning, a Victoria build by Keith Appleton, and gave thought to purchasing the castings. Gotta go, off to buy lotto tickets: this is an omen  :old:

Cletus

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2018, 08:07:03 PM »
Well if you win the lotto you may just be able to afford a set of Stuart castings :Lol:

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2018, 08:22:09 PM »
Jason, when I looked this morning, at closing exchange rates from yesterday, it looked like about $326 of our good old freedom dollars. I didn’t check into the over the water shipping. If you look at the prices from PM and what few casting suppliers we have on this side of Harry and Meghan  :Jester:, it ain’t all that bad.

Cletus

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2018, 08:32:07 PM »
That seems cheap Cletus, in the UK after VAT is added the cost is £283 so with a bit more added to cover postage to a UK buyer it is about £300

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2018, 08:37:36 PM »
I didn’t figure in the VAT. I’ve never bought from the U.K , so didn’t know if it was applicable. Today’s score has the pound at a 1.35 leader to our dollar

Cletus

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2018, 08:44:06 PM »
Vat is not applicable in your case but don't know if you will have to add state tax when it gets to your end and whatever trade tarrif  the wise one has decided to charge

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2018, 08:51:36 PM »
I've just tried a test as a potential USA buyer, the castings are £236 (no VAT) + postage at £60 so that's £296 unless there is an additional tax on goods at the other end.

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2018, 08:55:58 PM »
Hi Guys

Thanks for your help Jason and Jo, much appreciated :ThumbsUp: Sadly, especially given the circumstances,  I don't think this attempt to help my friend is going to have a positive outcome.......

The valve cavity had been left as cast and under-size and was also offset to the outer fore and aft edges (also left as cast) and roughly 2mm too long :o - There was no way you could achieve an even opening at either end - it was one end of the stroke or the other only  :-\

Re-machined the valve but from here on it just got worse. Fitting the steam chest cover had the effect of tightening things up to create distortion and some terrible drag - I don't think this engine has ever run. Removing the two hold down bolts at the rear of the cylinder the wringing of the cylinder end as the flywheel is turned has to be seen to be appreciated.

I'm not sure what will happen to this one - in my opinion it would require completely stripping down to the component parts and rebuilding, probably having to remake many parts as it goes - unfortunately I'm not in the position to take on at this point in time - I fear my friend is going to be rather disappointed  :(

Whiskey - the Victoria is a very nice engine overall. The castings do seem expensive (to us over here) but the design is sound and runs well. Apart from the Flywheel however it would be very straightforward to make the major parts from solid. When I made my twin version I only bought the bedplates, cylinders, steam chests and flywheel - that was back when Stuarts were at Hendon and before everything took that first major price hike.

Thanks again guys :ThumbsUp:

Regards  - Tug

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2018, 09:10:38 PM »
Hi Tug,

Do you have photos of your twin Victoria ? I'd be interested to see it  :)

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2018, 10:31:11 PM »
Hello Peter - I have just a few which I'm happy to post below. I sold the engine on quite a while back - maybe six or seven years ago so all I have are these pics of it that were took just before selling. Hope they are of use to you.

I ran it at shows on steam for several years  before turning to air - made for a much more relaxing time. Eventually I just got fed up displaying it and so it sat under wraps until I finally decided to part with it

Regards - Tug

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2018, 10:55:14 PM »
Thanks Tug, that's a superb engine - a Victoria on Steroids  :)

It's really some acheivement to make one like that from just a few basic castings then scratch build the rest to that level of detail  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal