Author Topic: Elmer's # 32 Tall Vertical Open Column 2X Size  (Read 8236 times)

toolznthings

Elmer's # 32 Tall Vertical Open Column 2X Size
« on: May 14, 2018, 09:31:37 PM »
Hello All !

Finished another engine just before the N.A.M.E.S. show so now I have some time to do a post on the build process. Made to double size with modifications to the fastener
sizes for proportion and thread size. The plan dimensions are spot on for the links, etc. Went to square columns instead of round.

Started with the cylinder using a piece of 1144 round stock and made a block to the overall cylinder size.

Offline yogi

• Duncannon, PA USA
    • Yogi's Workshop
Re: Elmer's # 32 Tall Vertical Open Column 2X Size
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2018, 12:09:14 PM »
Hey Brian,
Another double size engine coming together. I’ll be following along...  :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Offline kev

• Portsmouth UK
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2018, 03:08:21 PM »
excellent, I love making double size elmers but I have not made this one yet :)

toolznthings

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2018, 08:49:52 PM »
Getting started on machining the engine cylinder from the squared up stock.

At the mill drilling through the block to give a starter hole for machining at the lathe. The cylinder bore is offset in the material.
After drilling a boring head is used to provide a undersized short bore for indicating the block at the lathe.

Indicating the locating bore and the face of the block in the four jaw chuck. Accurate indicating will insure that the bore will be on location and straight through
block and in position end for end.

After boring through and on size a tail stock center is added for turning the round end boss. A like operation is preformed on the opposite end. 

toolznthings

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2018, 10:53:28 PM »
More machining on the cylinder ...........

From the finishing operations at the lathe the cylinder is set up at the mill to cut the two slots and drill three holes for the passages that will come from the steam chest.
The slots for the entrance to the cylinder bore were cut next on each end.

A separate setup is made on a tilt table to drill and ream the passages from the slots in the cylinder ends to the end slots milled earlier.
Center of the bore is located before the cylinder is set at the proper drilling angle. Stops are set so the cylinder opposite end can be machined by turning
the cylinder end for end.

The next operation drills and taps the exhaust port in the side thru to the drilled holes done when cutting the passage slots.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2018, 11:16:01 PM »
Thought I had posted already but apparently not, even though I have been watching. Very nice work on the cylinder. The finish looks great too. Thanks for posting this one.

Bill

toolznthings

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2018, 01:49:13 AM »
As always,
Thanks, Bill  :)

Offline yogi

• Duncannon, PA USA
    • Yogi's Workshop
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2018, 03:41:37 PM »
Coming along nicely Brian!  :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

That's an interesting tilting table you are using there. Could you post some more information about the table? Appears to be the right size to fit in the mill vise. I like it!  :ThumbsUp:

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2018, 02:03:40 AM »
Brian,
Looks good, I will be following along. I appreciate how you are photo documenting the build process.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

toolznthings

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2018, 08:58:36 PM »
Finishing the cylinder and starting the cylinder head and base ............

Drilling and tapping the 6-32 holes for the steam chest was the next operation followed by drilling and tapping the cylinder ends, also 6-32.

At the lathe the cylinder head is being machined from brass. The outboard end of the head is turned and will be drilled and taped for the packing nut and thru bored for the piston rod.
After parting off and leaving stock the opposite side is machined with the register diameter that fits the cylinder bore. Cylinder bore is 1.000".

The base for the cylinder starts off being machined from round stock aluminum. A diameter to match the cylinder bore is turned on the opposite side X .062" long.
This disc will be machined square in the up coming operations.

toolznthings

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2018, 02:03:35 PM »
Finishing the cylinder ends ...........

Using my setup block to machine the final size of the cylinder bottom that will be square. Added some layout lines for reference I milled two sides in one setup. Measuring
across to establish the size. The second setup finished the last two sides. In a later setup using the mill vise the mounting holes were drilled. ( not shown )

The cylinder head was drilled using my small three jaw chuck mounted to a base plate and held in the mill vise. Clearance holes for 6-32 screws.

toolznthings

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2018, 08:42:59 PM »
Machining the piston rod and piston assembly ...........

Started by silver soldering a piece of brass to the piston rod stock leaving extra rod length. Set up in a 5-C indexer to machine the shape of the rod end and drill
and ream for the connecting pin.

At the lathe the rod length was machined and the diameter for the 10-32 thread to attach the piston was turned. Single point chased the 10-32 thread part way leaving
a straight section of the diameter.

Brass stock for the piston was faced,drilled,bored and taped. A test fit of the rod to the piston was made. A straight .188" diameter on the rod and a matching bore in the piston keeps everything aligned so the two can be dis-assembled and re-assembled.

The piston was fastened to the rod and a face cut was made to establish the piston width. Center drilled for the lathe center.
The piston O.D. was turned and a threading tool added some groves for oil.

The finished assembly where the piston can be removed for assembly to the cylinder head with the packing nut.

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2018, 10:41:32 PM »
The parts you have made so far looks fantastic and some nice pictures + text  :ThumbsUp:

Offline yogi

• Duncannon, PA USA
    • Yogi's Workshop
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2018, 10:32:51 PM »
Beautiful work Brian! I truly enjoy seeing the different set ups.  :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

toolznthings

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2018, 01:48:23 PM »
Machining the piston packing nut and eccentric strap end ............

At the lathe I chased the packing nut threads and turned a diameter to leave stock for the hex end. Reamed to fit the piston rod.
Held in the indexer the hex end was milled.

Picture of the completed cylinder assembly.

I bored a blank piece of brass stock to final size to match the eccentric and set it up at the Tormach. Finding center with the dial indicator for part zero.
The brass blank is thicker than the finished part so the profile was only machined slightly deeper than the finished thickness.

Soft jaws were machined to hold the part from the first operation so the final thickness can be machined.
A later operation will machine a cross slot to hold the 1/8" x 3/8" strap that will complete the assembly of this part. ( future pictures )

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal