Supporting > Boilers

Tightening nipples and pipes

<< < (2/3) > >>

Jo:
Have you considered adding a lock nut on the threaded part? That way you can hand screw in the pipe and use the lock nut to tighten the thread.

On the elbows the use of a smooth well fitting spanner should prevent damage but the only way you will get things pointing the right way without forcing/stripping threads is to lock the fitting in place with a lock nut  :).

It might also be worth considering that Plumbers use PTFE tape or jointing compound to help seal joints  ;)

Jo

Jasonb:
What number loctite are you using? they do specific thread sealing ones which are far easier to unscrew than thread locking ones. Liquid PTFE also works well on the small threads rather than tape.

Use of a hand held drill chuck or ER collet on pipe will prevent the surface from marking or the pipe crushing.

Using only parallel pipe threads also makes things easier.

Bluechip:
Some nipples are/were obtainable with a screwdriver slot across the end.

This was from ages ago when i had some dealings with pneumatic automation.

It was in UK but I suspect you're not.?

IIRC 1/8" & 1/4" BSP  :headscratch: :old:

If you have the facility nothing to stop you putting a slot across one [ usually ] end of a nipple.

Dave

Stuart:
J & J

NO ptfe on boiler fitting please any loose strands or ptfe bit will block injectors and affect safety valves
Don’t ask how I know

Zephyrin:
You may use nuts, shop made thin nuts, to lock the nipple on the tee or other junctions...
the dismantling becomes easier if you don't lock the nipple in the elbow but lock it with the nut, no crushed thread !
On my gauge one locos, most of the time this assembly is pressure tight in its own, nothing to add but a drop of grease.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version