Author Topic: The Doncaster show 2018 - a photo log  (Read 6408 times)

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
The Doncaster show 2018 - a photo log
« on: May 13, 2018, 12:22:04 AM »
I've just returned from an enjoyable day at the Doncaster show with a few friends. I was given strict orders by 1 or 2 forum members to take my Box Brownie camera and get trigger happy so here we go :-

I'm not sure how many images I have but there are quite a few so it may take a day or 2.  :popcorn:

A rather nice  Economy engine is one of the first exhibits

A little beamer

A Stuart with a dynamo

I meant to ask more about this one - looks like a sort of decapitated Stuart Williamson ? A nice little engine in the flesh

A Jimmy Coombes.

A nicely finished 'Wyvern'

A couple for the infernal combustion enthusiasts

Is that the time.......

A nice looking horizontal steamer part built - the builder is a member a my local club. I need to ask more about this engine as it appears to have 2 piston rods per cylinder ?

Not sure of the thinking behind an inclined boiler but an interesting model

I found this little fella interesting, it's an IC engine made from an old compressor. The photos don't show the scale but the flywheel is about 8" dia so it is quite a chunky engine  :)

Another little  IC by the same builder

« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 12:38:12 AM by Gas_mantle »

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: The Doncaster show 2018 - a photo log
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2018, 12:37:08 AM »
Some great models there. That double piston rod arrangement is puzzling, never seen that before. Maybe a double compound?

Offline Larry

• Atlanta, GA
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2018, 05:45:03 AM »
Thanks Peter. Great to see some show pictures from across the pond.

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2018, 06:19:55 AM »
Thanks Peter  :)

Nice to see someone has made something out of the old compressor castings. I will have to look again at the one I have  :naughty:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2018, 07:27:44 AM »
Thanks for those Peter and thanks again for the special ones you took for me :-X

The Chopped off Williamson is the Fairbairn Engine which is one of Anthony Mounts designs though I'm not sure if castings are still available for it - could be made in several formats.

The other part built engine was on David Carpenters site a few weeks back, some form of pumping engine.

http://modelengineeringwebsite.com/Tannett_Walker_engine.html
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 02:27:22 PM by Jasonb »

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2018, 02:21:17 PM »
Great pictures and it looks like it was a very nice show. Looking forward to seeing more as you have time.

Bill

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2018, 03:59:09 PM »
Thanks everyone,

It was a warm sunny today so it's time to take a look at the bigguns outside. I don't know much about traction engines so you'll have to decide for yourself what these are. What I can say though is the sound and smell of these running on the hot stuff is something to be relished. No spark plugs and definitely no compressed air here  ;)

Looks like this was the forerunner of the modern articulated lorry traction unit

Given that this venue is at a racecourse and these 2 are the successors of the horse the photo has a certain irony

As my main field of interest isn't in traction engines I hadn't given it much thought but the brass plate just forward of the crank is a unique chassis number that is used for licensing arrangements on UK roads.

Moving back indoors this rather attractive engine caught my eye and it's name seems appropriate for the forum - are you a closet loco builder Jo ?  ;)

The next 2 images are a bit cluttered but I did rather like the look of this IC engine

Not sure much about this one, the builder was busy at the time and I didn't get to ask about it

A couple for the aviation enthusiasts

Back to steam with a McOnie oscillator

One for the beginners, a fairly simple barstock Grasshopper engine

Not a great photo but another simple barstock engine -this time a marine twin

Another nice McOnie engine

A barstock V twin

I can't remember what this engine is but a very attractive whatever it is.

I probably have another 50 - 60 images, I'll try and add a few more later today  :)

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2018, 04:19:13 PM »
Looking good  :)

I can't remember what this engine is but a very attractive whatever it is.

Galloway Non Dead Centre Engine - Castings available from Polly Models for slightly less than a Stuart Vee Twin  :-X

Jo

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2018, 04:21:51 PM »
Compared to the Stuart 14 you get a lot more engine for your money with the Galloway  ;)

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2018, 04:30:00 PM »
The other one you were not sure about belongs to "Windy" on ME Forum and is the flash steam powered engine from his record holding tethered hydroplane that you can just see him holding in the background photo.

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2018, 05:03:09 PM »
Gas_mantle,
Thanks for posting all the photos. Your first photo in the infernal combustion set caught my eye. It looks to be set up as two pistons in the same bore with a crank on each end. Likely two stroke.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2018, 07:20:14 PM »
Thanks Art, I don't know a lot about IC engines but I'll try and enlarge the image you refer to later, it may be that there is additional info on the cards near the model.

Continuing on with the photo tour we come to this rather unusual engine, it seems to be a barstock built upside down twin beam engine  :thinking:  I'm guessing it is a freelance design and the photos maybe don't do it justice but it was fascinating to see in action and ran as smooth as a Swiss watch.

It is a contemporary design and not to everyones taste but I think you'll agree it is an attractive model.

A fairly ordinary IC engine next but with the colour scheme it was crying out for a photo

I wish I taken more photos of the next masterpiece, this really is a barstock on steroids engine. A non CNC machined replica of a 1929 Bentley engine made without castings.

This image is a tad dark but you get an idea of scale

A few notes by the builder, at the bottom is part of the radiator and - you can see your face in it :-)

A incredible piece of engineering.

The Bentley engine is a hard act to follow but I found this little rectilinear engine quite attractive.

Not to sure what this engine is but it seems to have the look of the Stuart steam hammer in its standard.

A few others from the same builder have a rather nice antique patina about them.

Someone likes boring cylinders and making pistons ;-)

The next few engines were all made by the same guy, he was very helpful and chatty and although they are relatively simple creations they are the sort of thing at that appeals to my skill level.

I have a soft spot for Benson engines, I'm not sure about the painted governor weights but still a nice little engine

I rather liked this simple engine he fabricated, it's a bit plain but is something a beginner might be able to make if they want a reasonably powerful steam engine that isn't going to cost the earth and looks to be fairly easy to make

There isn't much in the photos to give an idea of scale but the flywheel was about 5" so it was comparable to a Stuart no4 in overall size

I guess he is a closet West Ham supporter

I think it's easy to overdo painting but I did like his Williamson engine, it's the first time I've seen one in the flesh so although it may gaudy looking to some I quite liked it.

This guy really does like his pale blue paint but I took a few photos of his Stuart no9 as he said apart from the cylinder / valve chest it is cut from barstock, even the flywheel is cut from solid. I'm trying to do pretty much the same thing using the same cylinder casting but to make a no4 copy using barstock.

A Stuart powers a generator

It's worse than looking at holiday polaroid photos but for those still hanging in I'll post the rest either later this evening or possibly tomorrow.

:popcorn:

« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 08:01:34 PM by Gas_mantle »

Offline JC54

• Grantham, Lincolnshire, UK
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2018, 07:44:00 PM »
Really pleased to see your pics of the exhibition, I forgot to take my camera and phone pics were rubbish. It was the first model engineering show for me for nearly 50 years, and the first ever for my brother in law and his mate. We all thoroughly enjoyed our day and are still astounded by the skill of the exhibitors. The 3 of us decided to pick our own best in show and surprisingly all picked the Supercharged Bentley.. :cartwheel: We spent quite a while talking to the builder, a very nice and informative man. :ThumbsUp: Can't wait for next year when hopefully I will have completed an engine of my own.
When the Fun Stops,, Stop!

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2018, 10:01:54 PM »
More great pictures, some really beautiful traction engines there as well, but the Bentley is certainly an eye catcher!!!

Bill

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2018, 10:20:48 PM »
Cheers guys   :)

The Bentley engine is an incredible piece of work especially when you consider it is cut from solid without CNC. I should have taken a few more photos.

Moving on a bit with the photo tour I took a few photos of Engineers Emporium display stand, I didn't take many photos of traders exhibits but these IC engines seem to attract a lot of interest in the forum so here we go

Their centre piece was this fine Senior engine

A partly built engine from their casting kit (not sure which one  :(  )

An Aveling from castings

A Redwing waiting for a coat of paint

I really like this Robinson engine they had working, in the past I've always thought of these as a bit temperamental but this one seemed to run great on very little heat despite it's size. ( The base it is on is about 12" sq so it is a decent size) I was at the show for 5hrs or so and it ran continuously throughout that time.

The Little Wonder engine showing what the casting kit includes

A finished Junior engine

This little engine caught my eye, it was near the Engineers Emporium stand but was a bit out of the way so I know nothing about it other than the finish was second to none. It was in a glass case and not easy to flash photograph but I think you can see the blue anodised finish and shiny bare metal gave it a real nice look  :)

Maybe not the best engine in the show from a technical point, but cosmetically it looked the part. (anyone know what it is?)

A few for the Jet Set, I have no idea what they are but the skilled workmanship speaks for itself

Going from a jet engine to something more sedate is this simple 3 cylinder Stirling engine, I've seen this running a few times and although it is fairly basic it is fun to watch and a great runner

This oddity from the same builder is also worth a mention, it runs on just a thermos flask of hot water

From the same builder this candle powered Stirling engine can power a small radio

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2018, 12:46:07 AM »
excellent photo series - thanks!!!

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2018, 12:47:54 AM »
The final few photos begin with this nice little V8

Under Perspex it is difficult to appreciate the detail on this small engine  :(

A fairly standard Stuart no9 but nicely done

I found this unusual engine interesting, it runs on powdered coal  :)

I asked about this rather strange looking engine but the steward could tell me very little  :(  Anyone got any thoughts ?

It kinda looks like someone decided to build an engine using a medieval gallows, a bit of brass pipe and a couple of spark plugs  :headscratch:

A Hatfield water pump as used by the fire brigade

This unusual model is based on a tractor(?) that could lay its own rails in order to travel over soft ground

Finally, to round off the tour we have this impressive old style steam driven pumping engine

That's it boys and girls,  I hope you enjoyed my photo walk through  :)

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2018, 10:24:13 AM »
Couple of videos of the show starting to come up on Youtube

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_bSbMa7ee0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_bSbMa7ee0</a>

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltkq-xEayAU" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltkq-xEayAU</a>

Offline bent

• Wet side of Washington State, USA
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2018, 11:07:23 PM »
Thanks Guys, always fun to see what people are up to.  And for ideas/inspiration. 

Offline JC54

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2018, 10:48:28 PM »
Thanks for the second lot of pictures especially the BRM V8, I tried to photograph it to send to my cousin, his father (my uncle) worked at BRM but my pic was s*1t. Talking to the "Bentley Man" no castings apart from the carbs, apparently Bentley used castings there so he has kept it authentic!!! He also said that he could have made several carbs in the time it took to make patterns for casting.

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2018, 07:24:55 AM »
Thanks for the second lot of pictures especially the BRM V8, I tried to photograph it to send to my cousin, his father (my uncle) worked at BRM but my pic was s*1t.

A couple more with the cover off - sorry about the out of focus of the first couple  :wallbang:

Talking to the "Bentley Man" no castings apart from the carbs, apparently Bentley used castings there so he has kept it authentic!!! He also said that he could have made several carbs in the time it took to make patterns for casting.

The "Bentley Man" is 'Mike Sayer'  ;)

Jo

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2018, 07:35:28 PM »
Thank you for posting those pictures  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp: I am trying to workout if the first engine in your pictures for the IC guys is Junkers opposed piston engine?
Best regards

Roger

Offline JC54

« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2018, 08:51:13 PM »
Thank you for the extra BRM pictures Jo, Cousin Terry will be really pleased with them. John :cartwheel:

Online Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2018, 08:53:21 PM »
Hello Roger,

That double crankshaft, opposed piston engine is the work of Tom Pasco of the Middlesbrough Club. It is a freelance design, as are all of Tom's engines, but it closely follows the Junkers or the lather Napier design principles.

Mike
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Online sco

« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2018, 09:22:45 PM »
The Doncaster show looks a lot bigger than the Midlands - anyone been to both who can compare and contrast?

Simon.
Ars longa, vita brevis.

Online Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2018, 09:39:19 PM »
Hi Simon,

The Doncaster show is only the new home for the famous Harrogate Show which has been on the go for years. It is now one of the biggest and arguably the best of the shows that are left.

Mike

Online sco

« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2018, 09:59:59 PM »
Thanks Mike - definitely looks worth the trip!

Simon.
Ars longa, vita brevis.

Online Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2018, 10:29:49 PM »
Hi Simon,

Your two hours closer than me. For you it's a straight run up the M1 until you reach the M18, which delivers you to the front door. See you there next year????

Or Bristol in July?

Mike

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2018, 05:22:00 AM »
Or Bristol in July?

I was planning to go in August :embarassed:

Jo

Online Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2018, 07:14:44 AM »
Or Bristol in July?

I was planning to go in August :embarassed:

Jo
Oops
In that case, I will go in August, like everyone else.

Mike.  :old: :old:

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2018, 07:25:16 AM »
I thought you were just trying to get to the front of the que ;)

Online sco

« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2018, 07:53:10 AM »
Hi Simon,

Your two hours closer than me. For you it's a straight run up the M1 until you reach the M18, which delivers you to the front door. See you there next year????

Or Bristol in July?

Mike

Yes I think quite possibly I will got to Doncaster next year - Midlands show seems a bit lame in comparison.

How does the Bristol show compare?

Simon.
Ars longa, vita brevis.

Online Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2018, 08:54:54 AM »
The Bristol Show is very good. A big spacious venue with plenty of high quality models and lots of trade stands. It's a three day event.
Mike

Online sco

« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2018, 09:19:24 AM »
The Bristol Show is very good. A big spacious venue with plenty of high quality models and lots of trade stands. It's a three day event.
Mike

Sounds like I might do Bristol then and skip the Midlands  ;)

Simon.
Ars longa, vita brevis.

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2018, 10:40:54 AM »
The less of us that go to these shows the less shows we are going to have  :(

I might have mentioned that the Guildford show seems to have given up and turned into a two day Choochoo train event with potentially a couple of other attractions in their own gazebos  ::)

Jo

Online Twizseven

« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2018, 05:18:05 PM »
Jo,

You and Surus cannot miss the Midlands Show as I owe you coffee/tea and cake.

I must admit I enjoyed the Doncaster show.  There was a lot to look at.  Somehow missed all the steam bits outside.  Great to see the progress on Mike Sayers Bentley.Bought a few bits, unfortunately no-one had a BCA 3/8th Clarkson threaded collet (or even a 6 or 10mm one).  I know they are rarer than hens teeth but there must be one hiding somewhere in the UK.  Tenga don't have any Imperial ones, only the metric ones and I need a mortgage to buy one off them.

Colin

Offline mnay

« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2018, 05:25:32 PM »
Guys and Gals
I am looking forward to going to some of the big model shows and the next few years and would like recommendations for you.
I made a deal with my sweet wife that she could pick the vacation one year and I would pick the next year.
Let me know what you think.
Mike

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal