Author Topic: Stuart Turner Sandhurst Engine  (Read 1217 times)

Offline peahead

Stuart Turner Sandhurst Engine
« on: May 12, 2018, 05:36:24 PM »
Good afternoon all,

I need some help/direction if possible please.

A short bit of background, Several years ago, my Grandfather passed away (early 90's) and my Grandmother downsized her house. As part of the house move some of my Grandfathers bits were moved from his workshop to her new house. When my Grandmother passed away, I bought her house and inherited some of the bits.

Today, as my wife is wanting to move, I decided I best clear the shed out. I stumbled upon the following (Clickable thumbnails):

After some limited research this afternoon, it seems this is a Stuart Turner Sandhurst engine (the Stuart Sandhurst on the castings was the giveaway!)

I ideally would love to get this running as it's been in the family for some time, however, I don't even know where to start! I think there are a couple of key parts missing, firstly the cylinder liner, and secondly, after watching some youtube videos, the ignition bits and maybe some of the carb parts. Some of the bearing surfaces seem rusty but may be salvageable.

Does anyone know if there are any drawings available for this?
Is there anyway I can date it, I assume this is from the 70's as I understand my Grandfather lost interst in the 80's. How long he'd had it for though is a mystery
Are parts available, or should I start thinking about investing in a lathe?

I have no idea why it was dissasembled, but it does seem some of the major parts are still present (piston/castings/crankshaft/flywheel etc)

Any help is appreciated.

Ben

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Re: Stuart Turner Sandhurst Engine
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2018, 05:55:51 PM »
Well the good news is that the Sandhurst is an easy engine... the bad news is that the drawings were intended for the Sandhurst students to teach them about building engines and not trusting drawings.

Your pictures show more than just a Sandhurst. I'm trying to remember what the governor is off  :wallbang:

Have you found any other parts? The water jacket for the cylinder is rather a big missing bit, is there a magneto somewhere?  and is there a twin cylinder Steam engine kicking around?

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline kvom

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2018, 06:07:07 PM »
I'd take Jo's description of an "easy engine" with a grain of salt.  Easy for her and easy for me are two different things.   :old:

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2018, 06:24:52 PM »
Better news is that the water jacket is in the photos and not missing, Jo it's the bit that has been masked up and painted blue, look at second picture bottom right & left of 5th photo. The liner is the main large part that is missing and although you can't get the part it is not the most difficult to make from a piece of cast iron bar by soheone who has a lathe.

If the rusty bearing surfaces don't clean up they could be skimmed in a lathe to clean them up and new undersize bearing brasses made from Bronze stock.

Although intended to run with a magneto you could substitute traditional points and coil or even go over to a modern electronic ignition which could be hidden away.

Wonder if that pair of handed valve chests is from a loco rather than an engine?

Offline Alyn Foundry

• North Wales, Great Britain.
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2018, 06:29:55 PM »
Evening All.

A nice " assemblage " of part machined castings there.

Isn't that Blue painted vertical object the cylinder outer jacket? I also wonder if the masking tape was removed maybe the liner is inside?   ;)

As Jo points out there are a few additional bits not associated with the Sandhurst, definitely steam orientated.

Cheers Graham.

I see our posts crossed Jason.    :)

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2018, 06:55:32 PM »
So water jacket is there  :ThumbsUp: but the liner  :ThumbsDown: It is rather longer than the water jacket.

Not sure what the cross helical or bevel gears are off  :headscratch: Now I am wondering if the governor is off a traction engine :noidea:

Jo

P.S. Did I mention I don't have a set of Sandhurst Castings in my collection  :slap: Last time I went trying to buy some Surus acquired a set of Stuart 800 engine castings instead  :facepalm:
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline peahead

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2018, 06:58:45 PM »
Thanks all for the feedback.

He did have a fascination with steam engines (My dad currently has a steam engine crane he'd built) so there probably are a few steam engine bits mixed in.

Cylinder outer jacket is definitely present, it's the liner that's missing. Also watching some more videos I think some of the valvetrain bits are missing (Valves are present however)

The magneto is definitely missing (I couldn't think of the name hence ignition in my original post) Hopefully as Jason says it's not the end of the world and could be overcome with modern day ignition bits.

I've also found a RPM counter from a Supermarine Spitfire today as well!

I think the next job will to be to find as many photos as I can of a Sandhurst engine, and organise the bits I have a little better see what's missing.

Thanks all again

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal