Author Topic: Well rats  (Read 1918 times)

Offline awJCKDup

• Central Indiana
Well rats
« on: May 09, 2018, 12:18:05 AM »
Well, in building the Little Demon, even with the prints right at my finger tips, I still managed to goof up. I made the cylinders out of cast iron instead of steel. I wont say how much time I have in them, lets just say too much. So, do I remake cylinders out of steel and use cast iron rings, or can I go ahead and use the cast iron cylinders and use cast iron rings. Suggestions please and thank you in advance.

Thanks
John

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: Well rats
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2018, 12:30:14 AM »
I would think you would be ok John, but PM Steve Huck as it is his design.

Bill

Offline stevehuckss396

• Sterling Heights, MI USA
    • Steve's Miniature Sparkplugs
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2018, 01:12:05 AM »
Cast iron sleeves are ok with cast iron pistons. Just make your pistons with cast iron and you should be fine.
Do not be like the cat who wanted a fish but was afraid to get his paws wet.

Offline Ian S C

• Stirling Engine Maker Darfield Canterbury N Z
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2018, 03:46:08 AM »
John, you couldn't do better, cast iron on cast ironis about as good as things get as far as frictionis concerned, this is the only metal that can be run together with it's self, the steel sleaves are the next best.
Ian S C

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2018, 01:24:11 PM »
Cast iron sleeves are ok with cast iron pistons. Just make your pistons with cast iron and you should be fine.

Why not aluminum pistons with cast iron rings?

Offline bent

• Wet side of Washington State, USA
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2018, 04:57:54 PM »
Aluminum will expand more with rising temperature than the cast iron cylinder, so probably not a good idea.

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2018, 05:40:20 PM »
I guess it depends on weather or not this engine has rings? Aluminum pistons running in cast iron bores are used in pretty much all commercially produced engines running today. Granted the piston needs to properly sized to allow for expansion.

Dave

Offline kuhncw

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2018, 06:20:25 PM »
Cast iron pistons will certainly work, but they add  reciprocating weight.  Like Dave said, properly sized aluminum pistons, cast iron rings, and cast iron liners will run very well in our model engines. 

Chuck

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2018, 08:37:10 PM »
I’m with Dave on this one. If you are about mine and Dave’s age, here in the good ol’ US of A, every kid’s dream was a stock cast iron block of whatever brand they aligned themselves with, bored.040” over, a set of Venolia aluminum pistons, and Perfect Circle cast rings: steel rings were just gaining a foothold  ( along with, Sig cam, Edelbrock intake, Holley carb, Hooker headers, Mallory ignition, etc.: sorry kinda got teary eyed) . Anyhoo, with the proper clearances, ali pistons, cast rings, and a cast bore will be fine.

Cletus

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2018, 09:01:12 PM »
Im sure Mr  Huck has a reason for his opinion...and I would love to hear it.

....and you know what steamer wants Steve.....8-)

Dave

"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline awJCKDup

• Central Indiana
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2018, 10:27:34 PM »
Thanks everyone, like several of you I figured cast cylinder, aluminum piston, and cast rings, would work just fine, seems to have been reliable for the small block Chevy for a lot of years, I suppose I'll find out......eventually. I too would appreciate if Steve would expand on his reply, also if any clearance changes from the plans would be needed, if using the cast iron cylinder, aluminum piston and cast iron rings?
Thanks all
John

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal