Author Topic: Extreme edge of Lo-Tech  (Read 2287 times)

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
Extreme edge of Lo-Tech
« on: May 04, 2018, 05:04:39 PM »
I went to clean up my pig dirty lathe this morning, which is covered in cast iron chips and dust from my recent engine build. First thing to do is vacuum up all the stuff I can access. Second step is to use a chip rake to pull all the crap out from under the lathe so I can clean it up too. But wait---I don't have a chip rake!! However--I have a piece of 14 gauge stainless scrap, and a piece of 1/4" threaded rod, and a length of dowel---Why heck--I can make one in five minutes. So here we have it, without even making a 3D model and drawing. Ta-Da--My newest tool.---a chip rake.

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
Re: Extreme edge of Lo-Tech
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2018, 05:57:32 PM »
Sometimes you just do it  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp:  :wine1:
Best regards

Roger

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2018, 06:49:15 PM »
Happiness is--a clean lathe. Well, at least a much cleaner lathe than it has been for the last month. Iron dust is bad ju-ju for lathes and for mills, but if I had to stop and clean it after every machining operation I'd never get anything done.

Offline Ridjobradi

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2018, 10:40:31 PM »
Simple projects can be as enjoyable as, or maybe even more so, than complicated projects.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2018, 02:21:19 AM »
I saw Brians' pic of the lathe with the Allen wrenches attached to magnets...which gave me an idea.

1st pic shows what I use...a plastic tray where I keep my brushes, Allen keys, and wrenches for the lathe.

Problem is...kind of messy.

2nd pic shows the holder I 3D printed that fits on the back of the lathe.

3rd pic is a closeup.

I may add some double-stick tape to keep it in place.

Thanks Brian for the thought.

[EDIT] I screwed up the order of pics. Flip the 2nd and 3rd.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2018, 03:34:18 AM »
Yep, that'll work!

Magnets are only allowed in my shop under strict supervision. No tool will ever be 'hung' on a magnet or visa versa.

There's nothing worse than magnetic tools, They attract chips, each other, the little screw you're trying to get started......

Has anyone ever de-gaussed a whole shop??? Mine  needs it .......

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2018, 02:49:23 PM »
Congratulations on hanging it on the correct, i.e., right, side of the backsplash.  You definitely don't want to be reaching across spinning work to retrieve a tool.  Having it well away from the headstock avoids that danger.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2018, 06:50:31 PM »
Inspired by Brian's post, I also made a lathe rake using some 3D printed parts.
It can hang on the side of the closet next to the lathe.

A downside to the rake is that it squeaks as it's pulled along the tray. I may glue a thin strip of leather to it.

The downside to the original allen key holder was that it tends to move around and is easy to pop off the back of the lathe.
I remade it so the tolerance of the slot was a bit tighter and I made a thumb screw to hold it to the lathe.
That works a whole lot better. (Also gave me a chance to use the knurler that cam with the lathe.)

1st pic is all the parts.
2nd pic shows things assembled.
3rd pic show the allen key holder in place.

The 3rd pic also shows a holder I made for the chuck key but it has even more tendency to pop off the lathe. I intend to make thumbscrews for that also.
"To work. To work."

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2018, 01:32:05 AM »
Quick update.
Glued a leather strip to the rake. Much better but still a bit squeaky. It's the aluminum chips making the noise.

Workable though.
"To work. To work."

Offline MJM460

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2018, 05:05:58 AM »
Now Zee, I am getting very confused here.  3-D printers in a thread on low tech?

Could you please explain in simple words, what you would mean by Hi Tech?

For me, the edge of low tech is using the humble cardboard cylinder from the usual source to catch small parts when I part them off.  Keeps fingers safely out of the way, and prevents them from hitting a chuck jaw and shooting around like shrapnel.

MJM460
The more I learn, the more I find that I still have to learn!

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2018, 12:54:32 PM »
Now Zee, I am getting very confused here.  3-D printers in a thread on low tech?

Oops.

Could you please explain in simple words, what you would mean by Hi Tech?

Simply...Hi-Tech has a higher content of technology than Lo-Tech while Lo-Tech has a lower content of technology than Hi-Tech.

More difficult is defining the line that separates one from the other.
As in the case of many bipolar discussions, this is a function of the person presenting their arguments and is heavily influenced by their personality, characteristics, and history.

Thus the line that distinguishes one side from the other is generally not definable. Further, this means there is typically no 'middle-ground'.

As an aside, the term 'tech' or 'technology' encompasses the complete range of Lo-Tech to Hi-Tech.

Many people assume 'Hi (higher)' is better or somehow preferable to 'Lo(lower)'. But no such characteristic exists. The distinction is better described as 'more' or 'less' but again with no implication of desirability.

An example:

Washing clothes. In order of 'less to more': Consider a wash tub, a one-button washer, and a three-button washer. My wife prefers 'Hi-Tech' and wants the latest/greatest three-button washer. I prefer the 'lower-tech' one-button washer for the simplicity of getting the job done as well as the reduced risk of something going wrong. As previously stated, there is no middle-ground and many animated discussions occur in our home.

In some cases, a bath (wash) tub is preferable when on a trip than to hunt for a laundromat and/or having to deal with an impossible ten-button washer. Not to mention the need to acquire coins.

Lastly, I should address the term 'no-tech'. Given we are talking about the human race then by the well known 'Zee Rule of Opposable Thumbs', there is no such thing as 'no-tech'.

;D
"To work. To work."

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2018, 02:57:29 PM »
For me, the edge of low tech is using the humble cardboard cylinder from the usual source to catch small parts when I part them off.  Keeps fingers safely out of the way, and prevents them from hitting a chuck jaw and shooting around like shrapnel.

Even catching part-offs can go high tech...

http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/catcher-small-part-offs-27243
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline Lew Hartswick

• Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2018, 06:43:25 PM »
Zee your quote :
<More difficult is defining the line that separates one from the other.
As in the case of many bipolar discussions, this is a function of the person presenting their arguments and is heavily influenced by their personality, characteristics, and history.>
can be condensed a lot by just saying the AGE of the person. :-)   Some of us ancient curmudgeons in electronics would put any thing after Vacuum tubes as "High Tech" . :-)
   ...lew...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal