Author Topic: Haimer Zero Master  (Read 417 times)

Offline kvom

Haimer Zero Master
« on: May 04, 2018, 04:56:52 PM »
I always wanted (rather than needed) one of these edge finders, esp. after Stan got one and posted.  So today eBay is offering a 15% off coupon on a single transaction max $100 discount.  And I see a Haimer for sale for $375 (already about $20 less than Amazon) with free shipping.  So with the eBay coupon I paid $318.75.   :)  The only downside is that its shank is 10mm, so I also had to buy a 10mm 5C collet from Shars for another $14.  As well I added some aluminum stock for the base of the Muncaster engine currently underway.

If anyone else is interested in this discount, the code is PMAY4TH and is good until 4pm EST today.

Offline Overbuilt and Overkill

Re: Haimer Zero Master
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2018, 01:39:32 AM »
If that model of Haimer edge finder is anything like my 3D taster then Haimer specificaly mentions keeping it in and zeroing it to a dedicated tool holder. For mine someing like an R8 end mill holder. Mine has to be adjusted somewhat like a 4 jaw independant lathe chuck to zero it to the spindles C/L. Swapping it in and out of a collet may not work well, but that is a different model than mine.

Offline kvom

Re: Haimer Zero Master
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2018, 03:11:18 AM »
There's no Weldon flat on the shaft so an R8 tool holder won't work.  Whatever inaccuracies that might be introduced by the collet will be smaller than the accuracy of my mill.  I did use it out of the box to check the tram on my vise, and was able to get that less than 1 thou out.