Author Topic: Haimer Zero Master  (Read 2430 times)

Offline kvom

Haimer Zero Master
« on: May 04, 2018, 04:56:52 PM »
I always wanted (rather than needed) one of these edge finders, esp. after Stan got one and posted.  So today eBay is offering a 15% off coupon on a single transaction max $100 discount.  And I see a Haimer for sale for $375 (already about $20 less than Amazon) with free shipping.  So with the eBay coupon I paid $318.75.   :)  The only downside is that its shank is 10mm, so I also had to buy a 10mm 5C collet from Shars for another $14.  As well I added some aluminum stock for the base of the Muncaster engine currently underway.

If anyone else is interested in this discount, the code is PMAY4TH and is good until 4pm EST today.

Offline Overbuilt and Overkill

Re: Haimer Zero Master
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2018, 01:39:32 AM »
If that model of Haimer edge finder is anything like my 3D taster then Haimer specificaly mentions keeping it in and zeroing it to a dedicated tool holder. For mine someing like an R8 end mill holder. Mine has to be adjusted somewhat like a 4 jaw independant lathe chuck to zero it to the spindles C/L. Swapping it in and out of a collet may not work well, but that is a different model than mine.

Offline kvom

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2018, 03:11:18 AM »
There's no Weldon flat on the shaft so an R8 tool holder won't work.  Whatever inaccuracies that might be introduced by the collet will be smaller than the accuracy of my mill.  I did use it out of the box to check the tram on my vise, and was able to get that less than 1 thou out.

toolznthings

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2018, 06:02:13 PM »
Hi,
What is the link or seller on Ebay ?

Thanks !

Offline kvom

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2018, 08:39:26 PM »
He just had the one.

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2018, 08:55:28 PM »
 :lolb: Meany, Meany  :lolb: You tell us after you got the only one  :slap:  Good on you.  :ThumbsUp: :lolb:

So for those of us that don't know what this desirable item is can we have a photo :)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline kvom

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2018, 11:37:31 PM »

As shown in the photo, the hands register -2cm.  When you jog the ball against stock until the two hands are vertical, then you're at the edge.  Jog too far with the small hand into the red and the shaft will break before the main body is damaged,

It can also measure height (i.e., shaft recessed into the body) so that you can use it as a height setter or check flatness of the mill table.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2018, 12:45:52 AM »
So how have you found it in actual use Kirk? I understand the height could be useful, but what about edge finding vs. A regular edge finder?

Bill

Offline kvom

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2018, 12:32:28 PM »
Being that fumble fingering on the jog controls cost breaking the shaft ($45 cost), I haven't been using it for edge finding.  But it's excellent for tramming the vise, and I also used it for center finding on a rod for thread milling.  It's definitely more precise than a wobbler and easier to read.

I also discovered that my "square" collet block is longer in one direction by 5 tenths than the other.

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2018, 04:24:18 PM »
I use my Tcshorn Taster all the time on the CNC mill great for setting the WCS

I have the set height set from the gauge line then stored as the offset for T1 ( taster )

Set all tools the same way

Great bit of kit , your tips are a little cheaper than mine take but the Tcshorn one is a bit cheaper ,swings and roundabouts
The only damage mine has sustained in more than two years of use clumsy Stuart dropped it and it landed on the probe , it was NBG or K for not working rang my supplier up they did a service replacement for £100 sent the duf one back new one by return
My aim is for a accurate part with a good finish

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal