Author Topic: Longboy's "INTERNAL BREEZE" Model Engine.  (Read 8185 times)

Offline Longboy

Re: Longboy's "INTERNAL BREEZE" Cyl Heads.
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2018, 03:26:07 AM »

The valves are stainless. Starting with 3/8 in stock, I center drill the valve head for a live center for stable support at both ends and cut stems to 5/32 in.

''

A pin hole will be drilled in the stem to retain the valve spring collar. Their valve guides are done with 3/8in. brass round stock.

Wadda you mean, "It don't run"???

Offline Longboy

Re: Longboy's "INTERNAL BREEZE" Cyl. Heads
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2018, 11:04:16 PM »
The deep combustion chambers fit the brass valve guides in this position. The valves are canted from each other so the valve can be pulled from their guides in servicing without contacting the valve or guide on the other side preventing such. In BREEZE, the chamber is wide enough if the valves were in line. Since this was new territory, I didn't want to drill head for guides in line and find out the valves couldn't be withdrawn.  This would be more important to note with smaller diameter chamber or longer valve stems. :ThumbsUp:

The tapper ring around the chamber is the seat for the o-ring head gasket. This seal method is totally fool proof as the o-ring slips over the cylinder liner and below the liner seat machined into combustion chamber and is only marginally exposed to combustion pressures. The ports will be determined for intake and exhaust plumbing and drilled at a later time then.

Offline Longboy

Re: Longboy's "INTERNAL BREEZE" Cam to Valves.
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2018, 07:44:09 PM »
The lifter bar sits on top of the end plate overhangs adjacent to the engine block. A diagonal milling was made where the lifters and the body of the distributor would be on the bar. This was to give clearance for the distributor cap from the block and to gain mechanical advantage pivoting the rocker arms.

This set up didn't quite work with the distributor being on the same angle with lifters as when putting on the dis. cap, the spark plug terminals were too close to the rocker arms. :facepalm2:  The diagonal between the lifters was milled away and a bracket with a greater angle for the distributor body was made and bolted to the lifter bar bringing the cap out and away from rockers then.  :)

Offline Longboy

Re: Longboy's "INTERNAL BREEZE" Cam to Valves.
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2018, 08:45:01 PM »
The distributor is driven by a pair of 24T, 0.5 modulus bevel gears below the lifter bar by the camshaft.

A PVC end cap 3/4 in. I.D. , some # 8 brass screws and nuts and a 3/16 in. CR shaft with a Delrin rotor ride in a brass bushing on this stubby unit. Some cap lock screws @ 90 degs. to be added to hold the cap to the distributor body.

The brass rockers transmit the cam lift to the valves at about a 115 deg. angle. Some 1/2 in. flame colored square steel tubing anchor the rocker pivots to the side of the engine block. A 10-32 set screw rides upon the lifter for valve lash. Use blue Loctite here.  :ThumbsUp:

Offline Longboy

Re: Longboy's "INTERNAL BREEZE" Model Engine.
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2018, 12:11:36 AM »
I was going to use my last gear timing set for this engine but my idler gear could not bridge the gap between drive and driven. Saved for another time then. MXL cogs my favorite cam drive. We'll add a small idler wheel to take up the slack.

For the spark control, it's nice to know that I have two choices here. 1.) Tecumseh engine points/ condenser or 2.) Don't build any engines.   :Lol:
I did put the points cam, in brass, upon the camshaft instead of crank. It is easier access with a allen wrench to rotate cam for spark timing.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 03:15:15 PM by Longboy »

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2018, 11:30:32 AM »
I like your buildup crank and the placement of the points and only wonder why your distributer isn't at the end of the camshaft - is that for looks or ?

Offline Longboy

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2018, 09:45:36 PM »
I have 2 engines with dist. on the end of cam.

Breeze will be my second engine with 90 deg. drive off cam.  Just a change up and I got to play with some bevel gears. :)

Offline Longboy

« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2018, 01:51:42 AM »
I found a vendor that sells C.I. by the inch. this will be a first cast iron flywheel for me at 3 1/4 in. diameter. A taper lock is used to mount to crankshaft.

Offline AlexS

« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2018, 04:21:42 PM »
That CI flywheel would have 'slightly' more mass inertia in comparison with your Stirling engine Over 90. ;)

Offline Longboy

« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2018, 11:45:54 PM »
BREEZE will need a power supply for an accessory! I look through Amazon, Ebay and other online retailers. What I am looking for is a DC hobby motor. I want one that puts out about 6- 9 Volts at the lowest RPM, around 5- 7 thousand RPM as driven.

The low RPM motors tend to be fat bodied, around 1.25 to 1.375 inch cans. I put a rubber band around my 3 inch chuck and make some Delrin pulleys around 3/8 diameter push them onto the shaft and spin them on the lath to the idle RPM of my engine, around 1200. Recording with the multi meter the voltage output.

The motor slips into some aluminum tubing and some hardware store aluminum makes a handy mount bracket.

I get 7-8 Volts output at the designated idle speed for my accessory. An aluminum drive pulley is bolted to the back of the flywheel and rubber bands seem to work fine here!

Offline Perry

« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2018, 09:52:21 AM »
Still watching with interest.. I like the idea to have a generator onboard

Offline Longboy

Re: Longboy's "INTERNAL BREEZE" Cooling.
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2018, 09:28:02 PM »
What is the secret of "The Crescent"? :thinking:

At the other end of the generator is a 40mm case fan mounted to the side of the block. It is heat isolated with a PVC spacer and nylon screws. This size blows around 9 CFM so it will be a gentle breeze around the radiators.

Offline Longboy

Re: Longboy's "INTERNAL BREEZE" Cooling.
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2018, 04:34:58 PM »
At the side of the block, I cut in for a break through into the cylinders.

In deep enough, looks like I'll pick up 7 grooves for airflow.

Offline Longboy

« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2018, 09:10:21 PM »
Adjacent to the fan are two vertical intake slots completing the airflow stream.

A 50mm fan would have just fit on the 2 in. tall block for more CFM flow. This 40mm job does all right.

Here shown with the plastic heat isolators. Fan set up runs as an exhaust but will run either direction. Engine at 1300RPM ,the fan spins near 6000RPM.

BREEZE has been completed with the intake and exhaust configured now.  Beauty photos and closeups to follow as well as sum "Hollywood"!   :popcorn:

« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 09:15:46 PM by Longboy »

Offline Perry

« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2018, 09:56:24 PM »
That is interesting! Reminds me engine of my Tatra 603  :Love:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal