Author Topic: Longboy's "INTERNAL BREEZE" Model Engine.  (Read 8199 times)

Offline Longboy

Longboy's "INTERNAL BREEZE" Model Engine.
« on: May 02, 2018, 04:29:53 AM »
An air cooled, cross valve 360 inline twin in the inventory now. Larger cylinders, heavy duty crankshaft, some cast iron and maybe a couple items you have not seen before. The INTERNAL BREEZE story starting  :thinking:...... SOON! :D

Wadda you mean, "It don't run"???

Offline Longboy

Re: Longboy's "INTERNAL BREEZE" Model Engine.
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2018, 06:45:46 AM »
Two different styles of frame up I use for I/C will be a combination of both for the Breeze. Two end plates, a base plate but the deck plate is gone, the engine block in its place.

Brass bearing carriers in the end plates contain a pair of R1810ZZ bearings for the nose of the crankshaft and at the flywheel end the carrier has an Oilite bushing. I feel bushings are more supporting for the heavier flywheel end that gets stressed using the drill to start it though rollers work fine too and I have a dozen to use up someday.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 06:49:33 AM by Longboy »

Offline Longboy

Re: Longboy's "INTERNAL BREEZE" Crankshaft.
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2018, 06:38:55 AM »
Crank webs are fabricated with 12L14 steel, 1.75in. dia. Shafting is .312in. CR and there are three main bearings.

Shown here scoring for their height. The center segments are shorter to accommodate the bore centers with a center bearing of brass between them.

Setting up BREEZE with a 1.125 stroke with .250 throw pins of CR.

Afterwards the segments are marked for sequence and direction and then parted off. When the rod / piston assemblies are done, they will be weighed. The webs will be through drilled then adjacent the throw pins the calculated diameter for primary balance then.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 06:53:24 AM by Longboy »

Offline Longboy

Re: Longboy's "INTERNAL BREEZE" Piston/ Rods.
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2018, 06:41:37 AM »
Up sizing the bore with 1.25in. pistons. The rods start as 3/8 X 3/4 in. aluminum flat stock. The small end has a pair of R144ZZ flanged bearings. The big end, no insert. Last couple engines with the rod as its own bearing surface trouble free. If I get any kind of a squeek outta them, I give it a shot of WD40. On BREEZE, I have drilled into the beam (#57 drill) from the bearing surface straight up and intersected that hole with a diagonal drilling from just above the rod cap bolt . I can dribble in some WD40 here if needed. 

Eighth inch piston pins join them to the rods locked to the piston with 6-32 set screws and blue Loctite. I had 4-40's in there with no Loctite that got loose and ate the bearings on a run.   :facepalm2: They ended up at 1.7oz. each complete. Using plumbers O-rings.

Stack them in the vice and sculpt them with a roughing mill.

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2018, 01:08:56 PM »
Looking good.  :ThumbsUp:

I did want to ask about your first post. I can't tell what I'm looking at.
Looks kind of like what you get when you lay paper down on a pattern and use pencil or crayon to 'lift' the image.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Perry

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2018, 09:13:15 PM »
1,25 Inch bore - that will be nicely sized engine  :ThumbsUp:

Offline Longboy

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2018, 03:24:25 AM »
Looking good.  :ThumbsUp:

I did want to ask about your first post. I can't tell what I'm looking at.
Looks kind of like what you get when you lay paper down on a pattern and use pencil or crayon to 'lift' the image.
Photo special effects via "Lunipic".

Offline Longboy

Re: Longboy's "INTERNAL BREEZE" Block Prep.
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2018, 08:53:36 PM »
Boring the block for the cylinders begins. Two inch bore centers are off set on both x & y from the four corners.

More length on block from the front cyl. to the end plate for a possible points cam on the crankshaft and clearance for the ign. points which are mounted on the inboard side of end plate.

And some extra width along the block length for valve train components. In the first step, the block is thru bored to diameter plus of some thin wall DOM cylinder liners that extend beyond the bottom of block...................

Offline Longboy

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2018, 12:26:47 AM »
The block will sit flush to the end plate faces so a relief is milled in.

The frame up squared and bolted together. Back to the mill, the second boring of the block can now proceed.

Offline Longboy

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2018, 03:50:54 AM »
The boring for the liner/ radiator combo. Some shallow fined radiators will be fitted into the block.

The block is bored diameter plus for them to a point about 3/16th inch from the bottom. The liner passes thru the bottom and the radiator seats in block on a drop fit.  A film of epoxy about 3/8th inch depth from the bottom of the radiators meld the radiators to the liners. Combustion heat will not soften the bond at that distance.

No need to polish the radiators as they are not seen.

:headscratch:...Radiators inside of block?.....What you up to here Longboy? :popcorn:

« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 03:56:25 AM by Longboy »

Offline AlexS

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2018, 10:11:28 PM »
Interesting build! Keep it going.  :ThumbsUp: What kind of cam setup are u building, ohv?

Alex

Offline Perry

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2018, 11:09:41 PM »
So what is the story with cooling fins in the water jacket?  :thinking:

Offline Longboy

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2018, 11:50:28 PM »
......... What kind of cam setup are u building, ohv?

Alex

It would best be described as cross valve heads with cam along block.       Dave.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 11:59:54 PM by Longboy »

Offline Longboy

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2018, 11:54:39 PM »
So what is the story with cooling fins in the water jacket?  :thinking:

I will be getting to that part next week Perry!  :atcomputer:   Dave.

Offline Longboy

Re: Longboy's "INTERNAL BREEZE" Cyl Heads.
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2018, 05:38:20 AM »

I have one engine with round heads. Now's the time again! Over at Industrial Metal Sales, they have bins of pre -cut aluminum and steel rounds. These 2in. x .75in. rounds are ideal for Stirling flywheels now drawn in to serve another purpose and engine.

Some shallow cut fins introduced.

The combustion chambers are off set to match the block bore and I will need them deep. They are milled away for a butt fit over the 2 inch bore centerline and six bolts join them to the block then.

A relief spot cut in for a washer at the joint for some 6-32 bolts. No washers for the outboard fasteners.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal