Author Topic: Longboy's "INTERNAL BREEZE" Model Engine.  (Read 8201 times)

Offline Longboy

Longboy's "INTERNAL BREEZE" Model Engine.
« on: May 02, 2018, 04:29:53 AM »
An air cooled, cross valve 360 inline twin in the inventory now. Larger cylinders, heavy duty crankshaft, some cast iron and maybe a couple items you have not seen before. The INTERNAL BREEZE story starting  :thinking:...... SOON! :D

Wadda you mean, "It don't run"???

Offline Longboy

Re: Longboy's "INTERNAL BREEZE" Model Engine.
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2018, 06:45:46 AM »
Two different styles of frame up I use for I/C will be a combination of both for the Breeze. Two end plates, a base plate but the deck plate is gone, the engine block in its place.

Brass bearing carriers in the end plates contain a pair of R1810ZZ bearings for the nose of the crankshaft and at the flywheel end the carrier has an Oilite bushing. I feel bushings are more supporting for the heavier flywheel end that gets stressed using the drill to start it though rollers work fine too and I have a dozen to use up someday.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 06:49:33 AM by Longboy »

Offline Longboy

Re: Longboy's "INTERNAL BREEZE" Crankshaft.
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2018, 06:38:55 AM »
Crank webs are fabricated with 12L14 steel, 1.75in. dia. Shafting is .312in. CR and there are three main bearings.

Shown here scoring for their height. The center segments are shorter to accommodate the bore centers with a center bearing of brass between them.

Setting up BREEZE with a 1.125 stroke with .250 throw pins of CR.

Afterwards the segments are marked for sequence and direction and then parted off. When the rod / piston assemblies are done, they will be weighed. The webs will be through drilled then adjacent the throw pins the calculated diameter for primary balance then.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 06:53:24 AM by Longboy »

Offline Longboy

Re: Longboy's "INTERNAL BREEZE" Piston/ Rods.
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2018, 06:41:37 AM »
Up sizing the bore with 1.25in. pistons. The rods start as 3/8 X 3/4 in. aluminum flat stock. The small end has a pair of R144ZZ flanged bearings. The big end, no insert. Last couple engines with the rod as its own bearing surface trouble free. If I get any kind of a squeek outta them, I give it a shot of WD40. On BREEZE, I have drilled into the beam (#57 drill) from the bearing surface straight up and intersected that hole with a diagonal drilling from just above the rod cap bolt . I can dribble in some WD40 here if needed. 

Eighth inch piston pins join them to the rods locked to the piston with 6-32 set screws and blue Loctite. I had 4-40's in there with no Loctite that got loose and ate the bearings on a run.   :facepalm2: They ended up at 1.7oz. each complete. Using plumbers O-rings.

Stack them in the vice and sculpt them with a roughing mill.

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2018, 01:08:56 PM »
Looking good.  :ThumbsUp:

I did want to ask about your first post. I can't tell what I'm looking at.
Looks kind of like what you get when you lay paper down on a pattern and use pencil or crayon to 'lift' the image.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Perry

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2018, 09:13:15 PM »
1,25 Inch bore - that will be nicely sized engine  :ThumbsUp:

Offline Longboy

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2018, 03:24:25 AM »
Looking good.  :ThumbsUp:

I did want to ask about your first post. I can't tell what I'm looking at.
Looks kind of like what you get when you lay paper down on a pattern and use pencil or crayon to 'lift' the image.
Photo special effects via "Lunipic".

Offline Longboy

Re: Longboy's "INTERNAL BREEZE" Block Prep.
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2018, 08:53:36 PM »
Boring the block for the cylinders begins. Two inch bore centers are off set on both x & y from the four corners.

More length on block from the front cyl. to the end plate for a possible points cam on the crankshaft and clearance for the ign. points which are mounted on the inboard side of end plate.

And some extra width along the block length for valve train components. In the first step, the block is thru bored to diameter plus of some thin wall DOM cylinder liners that extend beyond the bottom of block...................

Offline Longboy

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2018, 12:26:47 AM »
The block will sit flush to the end plate faces so a relief is milled in.

The frame up squared and bolted together. Back to the mill, the second boring of the block can now proceed.

Offline Longboy

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2018, 03:50:54 AM »
The boring for the liner/ radiator combo. Some shallow fined radiators will be fitted into the block.

The block is bored diameter plus for them to a point about 3/16th inch from the bottom. The liner passes thru the bottom and the radiator seats in block on a drop fit.  A film of epoxy about 3/8th inch depth from the bottom of the radiators meld the radiators to the liners. Combustion heat will not soften the bond at that distance.

No need to polish the radiators as they are not seen.

:headscratch:...Radiators inside of block?.....What you up to here Longboy? :popcorn:

« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 03:56:25 AM by Longboy »

Offline AlexS

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2018, 10:11:28 PM »
Interesting build! Keep it going.  :ThumbsUp: What kind of cam setup are u building, ohv?

Alex

Offline Perry

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2018, 11:09:41 PM »
So what is the story with cooling fins in the water jacket?  :thinking:

Offline Longboy

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2018, 11:50:28 PM »
......... What kind of cam setup are u building, ohv?

Alex

It would best be described as cross valve heads with cam along block.       Dave.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 11:59:54 PM by Longboy »

Offline Longboy

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2018, 11:54:39 PM »
So what is the story with cooling fins in the water jacket?  :thinking:

I will be getting to that part next week Perry!  :atcomputer:   Dave.

Offline Longboy

Re: Longboy's "INTERNAL BREEZE" Cyl Heads.
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2018, 05:38:20 AM »

I have one engine with round heads. Now's the time again! Over at Industrial Metal Sales, they have bins of pre -cut aluminum and steel rounds. These 2in. x .75in. rounds are ideal for Stirling flywheels now drawn in to serve another purpose and engine.

Some shallow cut fins introduced.

The combustion chambers are off set to match the block bore and I will need them deep. They are milled away for a butt fit over the 2 inch bore centerline and six bolts join them to the block then.

A relief spot cut in for a washer at the joint for some 6-32 bolts. No washers for the outboard fasteners.

Offline Longboy

Re: Longboy's "INTERNAL BREEZE" Cyl Heads.
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2018, 03:26:07 AM »

The valves are stainless. Starting with 3/8 in stock, I center drill the valve head for a live center for stable support at both ends and cut stems to 5/32 in.

''

A pin hole will be drilled in the stem to retain the valve spring collar. Their valve guides are done with 3/8in. brass round stock.

Offline Longboy

Re: Longboy's "INTERNAL BREEZE" Cyl. Heads
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2018, 11:04:16 PM »
The deep combustion chambers fit the brass valve guides in this position. The valves are canted from each other so the valve can be pulled from their guides in servicing without contacting the valve or guide on the other side preventing such. In BREEZE, the chamber is wide enough if the valves were in line. Since this was new territory, I didn't want to drill head for guides in line and find out the valves couldn't be withdrawn.  This would be more important to note with smaller diameter chamber or longer valve stems. :ThumbsUp:

The tapper ring around the chamber is the seat for the o-ring head gasket. This seal method is totally fool proof as the o-ring slips over the cylinder liner and below the liner seat machined into combustion chamber and is only marginally exposed to combustion pressures. The ports will be determined for intake and exhaust plumbing and drilled at a later time then.

Offline Longboy

Re: Longboy's "INTERNAL BREEZE" Cam to Valves.
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2018, 07:44:09 PM »
The lifter bar sits on top of the end plate overhangs adjacent to the engine block. A diagonal milling was made where the lifters and the body of the distributor would be on the bar. This was to give clearance for the distributor cap from the block and to gain mechanical advantage pivoting the rocker arms.

This set up didn't quite work with the distributor being on the same angle with lifters as when putting on the dis. cap, the spark plug terminals were too close to the rocker arms. :facepalm2:  The diagonal between the lifters was milled away and a bracket with a greater angle for the distributor body was made and bolted to the lifter bar bringing the cap out and away from rockers then.  :)

Offline Longboy

Re: Longboy's "INTERNAL BREEZE" Cam to Valves.
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2018, 08:45:01 PM »
The distributor is driven by a pair of 24T, 0.5 modulus bevel gears below the lifter bar by the camshaft.

A PVC end cap 3/4 in. I.D. , some # 8 brass screws and nuts and a 3/16 in. CR shaft with a Delrin rotor ride in a brass bushing on this stubby unit. Some cap lock screws @ 90 degs. to be added to hold the cap to the distributor body.

The brass rockers transmit the cam lift to the valves at about a 115 deg. angle. Some 1/2 in. flame colored square steel tubing anchor the rocker pivots to the side of the engine block. A 10-32 set screw rides upon the lifter for valve lash. Use blue Loctite here.  :ThumbsUp:

Offline Longboy

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2018, 12:11:36 AM »
I was going to use my last gear timing set for this engine but my idler gear could not bridge the gap between drive and driven. Saved for another time then. MXL cogs my favorite cam drive. We'll add a small idler wheel to take up the slack.

For the spark control, it's nice to know that I have two choices here. 1.) Tecumseh engine points/ condenser or 2.) Don't build any engines.   :Lol:
I did put the points cam, in brass, upon the camshaft instead of crank. It is easier access with a allen wrench to rotate cam for spark timing.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 03:15:15 PM by Longboy »

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2018, 11:30:32 AM »
I like your buildup crank and the placement of the points and only wonder why your distributer isn't at the end of the camshaft - is that for looks or ?

Offline Longboy

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2018, 09:45:36 PM »
I have 2 engines with dist. on the end of cam.

Breeze will be my second engine with 90 deg. drive off cam.  Just a change up and I got to play with some bevel gears. :)

Offline Longboy

« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2018, 01:51:42 AM »
I found a vendor that sells C.I. by the inch. this will be a first cast iron flywheel for me at 3 1/4 in. diameter. A taper lock is used to mount to crankshaft.

Offline AlexS

« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2018, 04:21:42 PM »
That CI flywheel would have 'slightly' more mass inertia in comparison with your Stirling engine Over 90. ;)

Offline Longboy

« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2018, 11:45:54 PM »
BREEZE will need a power supply for an accessory! I look through Amazon, Ebay and other online retailers. What I am looking for is a DC hobby motor. I want one that puts out about 6- 9 Volts at the lowest RPM, around 5- 7 thousand RPM as driven.

The low RPM motors tend to be fat bodied, around 1.25 to 1.375 inch cans. I put a rubber band around my 3 inch chuck and make some Delrin pulleys around 3/8 diameter push them onto the shaft and spin them on the lath to the idle RPM of my engine, around 1200. Recording with the multi meter the voltage output.

The motor slips into some aluminum tubing and some hardware store aluminum makes a handy mount bracket.

I get 7-8 Volts output at the designated idle speed for my accessory. An aluminum drive pulley is bolted to the back of the flywheel and rubber bands seem to work fine here!

Offline Perry

« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2018, 09:52:21 AM »
Still watching with interest.. I like the idea to have a generator onboard

Offline Longboy

Re: Longboy's "INTERNAL BREEZE" Cooling.
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2018, 09:28:02 PM »
What is the secret of "The Crescent"? :thinking:

At the other end of the generator is a 40mm case fan mounted to the side of the block. It is heat isolated with a PVC spacer and nylon screws. This size blows around 9 CFM so it will be a gentle breeze around the radiators.

Offline Longboy

Re: Longboy's "INTERNAL BREEZE" Cooling.
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2018, 04:34:58 PM »
At the side of the block, I cut in for a break through into the cylinders.

In deep enough, looks like I'll pick up 7 grooves for airflow.

Offline Longboy

« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2018, 09:10:21 PM »
Adjacent to the fan are two vertical intake slots completing the airflow stream.

A 50mm fan would have just fit on the 2 in. tall block for more CFM flow. This 40mm job does all right.

Here shown with the plastic heat isolators. Fan set up runs as an exhaust but will run either direction. Engine at 1300RPM ,the fan spins near 6000RPM.

BREEZE has been completed with the intake and exhaust configured now.  Beauty photos and closeups to follow as well as sum "Hollywood"!   :popcorn:

« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 09:15:46 PM by Longboy »

Offline Perry

« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2018, 09:56:24 PM »
That is interesting! Reminds me engine of my Tatra 603  :Love:

Offline Perry

« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2018, 10:33:10 AM »
I'm really looking forward to see this one runing :popcorn:

Offline Longboy

« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2018, 10:18:38 PM »
OK Perry and others!  :Director: Welcome to the mid week presentation of the INTERNAL BREEZE model engine!  :whoohoo:

BREEZE was started on Jan. 9th.

Competed on March 10th.

Some new methods....some new features!  :o

Like a vertical fuel tank.

Cross valve heads.

Forced air cooling via generator & electric fan.

and..... sum strange looking rocker arms! :D  To be continued...........  :cheers:

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2018, 02:48:57 AM »
Longboy,
I must admit this engine is a mite unconventional, but it looks good and has some great ideas.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline Longboy

Re: Longboy's "INTERNAL BREEZE" Presentation.
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2018, 05:42:20 PM »
Heavy Duty 3 bearing crankshaft, beefy con rods and yesteryear ignition.

OS .10 carb on Delrin manifold. Faux brass mufflers.

The Longboy "INTERNAL BREEZE" model engine.

Let's see it running! :popcorn:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THl4T9Jt2qw" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THl4T9Jt2qw</a>

Thanks for following the story of BREEZE fellow modelers!     :praise2:    See more from Longboy on Youtube, search: "longboy4".    Dave.

Offline yogi

• Duncannon, PA USA
    • Yogi's Workshop
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2018, 08:51:52 PM »
Beautiful engine Dave!  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:
I like your style.  :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2018, 09:40:47 PM »
Hi Dave, a very nice engine. I do like the open style, so a lot of motion is visible for the observer.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 03:40:01 AM by fumopuc »
Kind Regards
Achim

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2018, 12:16:58 AM »
Very interesting engine, Dave.
And it runs well.
You've got to be happy with that!
Kim

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2018, 12:20:56 AM »
Runs great, started up very easily in the video. Very well done!!   :praise2:

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2018, 12:26:37 AM »
Runs great, starts with the flip of the wrist. Nothing to complain about there.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Online Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2018, 01:09:32 AM »
Sounds great!
Nicely done.

Dave

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2018, 03:52:15 AM »
As everyone said...it sounds great.  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:
Very interesting engine.

Any idea how fast/slow it goes?
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Longboy

« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2018, 06:29:20 AM »
Runs great, started up very easily in the video. Very well done!!   :praise2:
Thanks Crueby.
What I find in building I/C is that when troubleshooting, when everything is just right they will hand start easily and stay running. Using the drill to start  and the engine runs and stalls/ struggles.......it's telling  you, "not yet, I need more work". Is it fuel mix, valve or spark timing or a tight spot in the reciprocating or rotating assembly? This is a hobby of patiences for sure. :wallbang:   Dave
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 07:04:24 AM by Longboy »

Offline Longboy

« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2018, 06:55:06 AM »
As everyone said...it sounds great.  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:
Very interesting engine.

Any idea how fast/slow it goes?

Thanks Zeepro...
Using these  model airplane .10-.15  carburetors on my engines, I set for a constant run around 1000-1200RPM idle. They stall out for me when I open the throttle at just a few hundred RPM above idle. I believe this to be the sudden fuel lean out and fixed, no advance ignition timing. Maybe using a R/C buggy carb as their engines respond to on /off throttle input would help......but I would be still short electronic ign advance. Mechanically, they should go a few thousand RPM but being free standing designs, my motors will walk around on the table then!  Happy that they idle smoothly till they run out of fuel.   Dave.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 07:07:07 AM by Longboy »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal