Author Topic: Carbide tool grinder  (Read 2001 times)

Offline Doc

• USA ND
Carbide tool grinder
« on: April 18, 2018, 05:57:46 PM »
One last quick little project I've been meaning to do. I have a carbide tool grinder but wanted to make a smaller unit. I found some CBN wheels really good price for 4inch dia unfortunately they came busted in the mail. The seller gave me a refund but I really did want a set of wheels and asked if he'd just try it again. Apparently didn't want to deal with me again and just gave me a  refund oh well. I found some other wheels a little more on the price so we will see how they come.
  In the mean time I had a piece of aluminum channel 5" wide so I started. I'm making 2 as a friend of mine is just starting setting up a home shop  so I'm making one for him. The motors I'm using are   12volt motors  high torque really nice motors and I'm using old computer power packs for the power. Should work really good. I used one of these motors for the power feed conversion on my lathe. I ordered a couple more. Anyway this little project shouldn't take too long provided I get CBN wheels this time that aren't smashed and broken.

Offline Niels Abildgaard

Re: Carbide tool grinder
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2018, 12:04:22 PM »
The motors I'm using are   12volt motors  high torque really nice motors and I'm using old computer power packs for the power. Should work really good. I used one of these motors for the power feed conversion on my lathe. I ordered a couple more.

Can I have a link to Your electric lathe feed?
What is the benefit (apart from pleasure) of home-making bench grinders?
Are they running to fast?

Offline Doc

• USA ND
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2018, 02:35:53 PM »
Here is the link to the thread on this site Power feed mod

As far as the carbide grinder if you used a small bench grinder you would have to modify it for a CBN wheel anyway so a much cheaper way is to invest a little time and build your own. You can buy a carbide grinder but they are much larger and for a good one pricey.
Plus I like doing it my way  ;)

Offline Niels Abildgaard

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2018, 03:44:37 PM »
Here is the link to the thread on this site Power feed mod

Plus I like doing it my way  ;)

Thank You for link and I am rebuilding a perfectly good Boxford Lathe because I like it my way.

Offline cfellows

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2018, 06:13:22 AM »
Any more info on the motors?  RPM? Where did you get them?

Thx... Chuck
So many projects, so little time...

Offline Doc

• USA ND
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2018, 01:34:20 PM »
Chuck,
I got them on ebay I've purchased a few of them. I used one on my lathe variable power feed set up. They are pretty nice motors for the price RPM no load 4300. I'll be using them with a variable power pack like I did on my lathe. I'm just waiting on the CBN wheels I ordered the first ones I ordered ended up broken so I ordered cup wheels instead of dish. I'll end up pulling the armature from the motors and turning the drive end to desired configuration between centers so things will run nice and true.
  Oh I should mention the price (with free shipping) $18.00 US here is a link to them.  Motor   

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal