Author Topic: Alfa Romeo 8C  (Read 1805 times)

Offline mikemill

Alfa Romeo 8C
« on: April 16, 2018, 10:55:25 AM »
I found this part built Pocher Alfa Romeo 8C on e-bay some time ago but was not impressed when I received it, the clumsy actuating rods for the working brakes let it down. Why would anyone want working brakes and engine internals on a static model? Also, the wire wheels left a lot to be desired and spoil the model as they are so prominent. What is impressive is the size, the wheel base is 13.5 in and the engine does justice to that wonderful Jano designed supercharged 8-cylinder engine. I have had an interest in racing cars for a long time and scratched built a Alfa P3 in the past.
I stripped the model down and am rebuilding a more faithful representation of these lovely cars.
The new wire wheels are made of ali rims and hubs, I had some .030in silver steel rod which by chance were the right scale for the wires.

Mike

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
Re: Alfa Romeo 8C
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 11:10:02 AM »
Those wheels look pretty good to me.   Fun project!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Online Vixen

• Hampshire UK
Re: Alfa Romeo 8C
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 11:33:40 AM »
Hi Mike

A fine model of an Italian icon. Pity it was not a bit larger and then you could build the engine to run. The new wheels look great. As with any of these fine scale kits, it's up to the builder to remake anything that's not to his or her liking.

Jim Stokes Workshop Ltd are a leading restorer of all things Alfa Romeo, They are located in Waterlooville just north of Portsmouth.

Have a look at www.jswl.co.uk/about-us.htm  They are very friendly and helpful bunch.

I also thing Gerald Wingrove did a write-up on the kit.

Mike
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 03:02:46 PM by Vixen »
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal