Author Topic: Fordillac V-8 engine running, finally  (Read 8949 times)

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
Re: Fordillac V-8 engine running, finally
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2018, 08:25:38 AM »
Splendid  :praise2:  :praise2:  :praise2:  Was there any one particular problem to be solved or just a number of small things? Persistence pays off  :wine1:
Best regards

Roger

Offline Zephyrin

• near Paris, France
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2018, 11:29:45 AM »
Magnificent engine and runner, amazing !
from the large to the tiny one, always great models.

Offline cwelkie

« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2018, 01:44:04 PM »
Very nice George.  I'm glad you stayed with it so we could hear it running.
Another beautiful model by a master ...

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2018, 01:57:23 PM »
Thanks everyone for the comments.
Roger, when I designed the engine I didn't actually take into account the volume of the combustion chamber, being as I have never built a flat head type engine. (hit and miss don't count) (Time line August of 2016) Usually the combustion chamber is just an extension of the bore diameter into t he head but with a flathead you have all the area going out over the valves.
When I first assembled the engine and was running it in on the lathe (without the heads on) I would put the heel of my hand over the cylinders and the compression/vacuum seemed fine but when I assembled the engine the compression seemed not existent. That's when I started looking into the combustion chamber volume. The first thing I did was to make domed pistons to try and get the compression pressure up. (Time line April of 2017) This then required new rings and pistons but I thought that would be easier than making new heads. When that didn't work as planned I made new heads, at least the combustion chamber side as the heads are made in two pieces to form the water jacket area inside. (Time line June of 2017) At that point I tried to start the engine but had no luck and the compression pressure when turning over by hand still didn't seem like it was where it should be. At that point I made the second set of lower heads. The engine would now start but I couldn't keep it going long enough to make any adjustments. It seemed like it wasn't making enough power to overcome the internal frictions.
All along it still seemed like compression was the issue so I pulled the whole engine apart and honed the cylinders for the third time. (Time line November of 2017) At this point you could say I was drawing a blank. All of the engines I have built over the years have been made with the same processes, bore and hone cylinders, make rings by the Trimble method, fit rings, break engine in by running in lathe for a few hours, assemble and run.
After the last honing I made new pistons and rings to fit the bores. From the initial build bore to the last honing the diameter only changed by .003 but that required new pistons and rings each time.
I assemble the engine and ran it in on the lathe. To make sure that the rings were seated or as close as possible before reassembling I spun the engine over in the lathe for almost 10 hours. I know it seems excessive but at this point I wasn't taking an more chances. The engine was assembled (Time line late December of 2017) and because it was cold in the garage over the winter the engine sat until now. In turning the engine over by hand it felt like it had very good compression so I was optimistic about the outcome. At this point let me add that with every disassembly I would recheck all the valves for proper sealing which on this engine is quite a job.
That brings us to the present day. On April 12th everything was hooked up and the engine started. My birthday is tomorrow, the 16th, so maybe this is a birthday present to myself.
gbritnell
Talent unshared is talent wasted.

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2018, 02:49:35 PM »
I should think so!

Happy Birthday George!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2018, 02:58:06 PM »
Many happy returns George...both for the birthday and successful engines!! :drinking-41:

Bill

Offline 90LX_Notch

• North Eastern Pennsylvania USA
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2018, 03:15:47 PM »
A very Happy Birthday wish to you George.

-Bob
Proud Member of MEM

My Engine Videos on YouTube-
http://www.youtube.com/user/Notch90usa/videos

Offline ColH

• Geelong, Victoria, Australia
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2018, 02:42:31 AM »
Happy Birthday and well done on another of your fantastic engines.  I thought I had missed something when you had not posted video of the flathead running but just had to wait.

Again well done and thanks for sharing your work with all of us.

Col
ColH

Offline michelko

« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2018, 06:27:19 AM »
Congrats on the engine and also your birthday :cheers:

We too will celebrate the 10th birthday of our first son today.

Do you have oil control rings on the engine? If yes, how are they made?
Having big trouble with the bugatti pumping oil.

Cheers  Michael

Offline mikemill

« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2018, 09:46:20 AM »
Well done George, it’s a warm feeling of satisfaction when an engine fire up for the first time, as George says even the most experienced model engineers struggle to set up IC engines.
I am in the same boat with my Triumph Twin!!!

Mike

Offline Doc

• USA ND
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2018, 02:07:50 PM »
Hope you have a Great Birthday George!!

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2018, 06:45:15 PM »
Thanks everyone for the gracious replies and the Birthday wishes.
Doc, I saw your post on Youtube and whenever you would like to make the Moon gas pedal let me know and I'll send you the information.
Hi Michael,
On this particular engine I am just using compression rings (three). I have made oil control rings in the past but in all honesty I don't know if the results are worth all the time it takes to make them.
The rings in this engine are .032 wide and .040 thick. For an oil ring I would probably make it .050 wide with a .030 groove in the center. Usually I drill the oil drain back holes around the ring but leave an undrilled area exactly opposite the break in the ring. This is also done after heat treating. I find this helps prevent the rings from breaking when installing them.
gbritnell
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 06:58:24 PM by gbritnell »
Talent unshared is talent wasted.

Offline kvom

« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2018, 07:37:13 PM »
I'll echo everyone else in congratulations on a fine runner, and I'll see it next weekend in action.

Offline bent

• Wet side of Washington State, USA
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2018, 05:42:09 PM »
Beautiful work, and a nice payoff for your persistence.  :cheers:

Offline jeff l

« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2018, 12:22:15 AM »
Happy Belated Birthday George.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal